September 20, 2014, 02:48:03 AM

Author Topic: NHL Playoffs  (Read 13451 times)

Offline jrod86

• Explorer
Re: NHL Playoffs
« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2011, 01:16:52 PM »
Noooo, have to teach during the game. Anyone know a way to watch a taped version of it?

Offline S.Lee

• Super Waygook
« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2011, 03:12:51 PM »
Noooo, have to teach during the game. Anyone know a way to watch a taped version of it?

I'm thinking of avoiding facebook and everything until i get home and download the torrent then have my own celebration/riot... but.it.feels.so.artificial. ㅠㅠ

Offline jglide

• Adventurer
« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2011, 04:03:21 PM »
vancouver in 7! GO CANUCKS GO!

esp w/ the way the media is treating vancouver (which most people buy into), the biased reffing (not even a penalty for boychuk???), etc

The reffing has looked biased but fortunately it's had little relation to the outcome of any game. If it had affected Vancouver in game 5 there could have been a riot after the game. I think that's one reason they made sure Boston got a couple in the second. With game 7 at home I think the refs will try to keep the whistles in their pockets as much as possible.

Bias officiating? Bruins have been penalized more and Vancouver has had more power play chances (31-26 I think).

I do think its interesting how villified Vancouver has become this series. Both teams came into the series with feel good stories. Bruins overcame their rivals (Habs), exercised their demons (Flyers) and won an epic game 7 (TB). Vancouver also exercised their demons (Chicago) and have expelled the doubters who have always called them too soft. Both teams are looking to end two very long droughts. I was not sure who would play the villain role, but it seems Van has now become one of the most hated teams in hockey. Even some Habs fans are rooting for the Bruins in this series  :o.

I agree the media has embellished things a lot, but they haven't had to go searching for material. The Bruins have had their fair share of taunting and chippy play in games, but between the Burrows bite, finger taunts, Rome hit, Thomas slights, Sedin guarantee, and Luongo putting his foot in his mouth, the Canucks have assumed the villain role. It has been real easy for the media to portray them as arrogant.

Interesting stats for game 7:

Only three road teams have ever won a game 7 for the Cup.

Only once has the home team won all seven games.

No team has won the Cup while being outscored over the course of the postseason. Canucks have been outscored 65-58 thus far (largely due to the games in Boston).

History doesn't favor either team...can't wait for the game.

Offline Yu_Bumsuk

• The Legend
« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2011, 06:42:54 PM »
No team has won the Cup while being outscored over the course of the postseason. Canucks have been outscored 65-58 thus far (largely due to the games in Boston).

Check page one - I predicted it. As for the reffing, I was referring particularly to game 5. They got several calls in a row just plain wrong. The men in blue will be hoping that the men in black and white don't make any such mistake that leads to a loss in the seventh.

Offline Smudger

• Explorer
Re: GO CANUCKS! Watch the Stanley Cup Finals
« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2011, 09:00:09 PM »
Game 7 LIVE 9am ...Yaletown Bar in Sinchon. Real fans will catch this live. I'm callin in sick!

http://www.seouleats.com/2010/01/yaletown-burgers-and-bar-in-sincheon.html

C'mon Nucks!

Offline Smudger

• Explorer
« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2011, 09:10:20 PM »
For you true fans who are calling in sick to watch it live, Yaletown Bar in Sinchon is showing it live at 9am. Be there in your colours!
Time to end 40 years of anguish. Go 'Nucks!

the others can catch it streaming at   myp2p.eu

Offline robotco

• Adventurer
« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2011, 10:00:26 PM »
Even though I'm Canadian, I actually want Boston to win.  I find Vancouver to be a little conceited, whereas Boston has been very respectful and humble.    And if I'm not mistaken, Boston has more Canadians on the team anyways than Vancouver does lol.

oh yeah, marchand punching daniel sedin 5 times in the face with the glove was sure respectful. sure was boychuk's late hit on raymond that fractured his back. really respectful bruins!

Offline Koradian

• Fanatical Supporter!
  • Super Waygook
« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2011, 10:05:10 PM »
I have never met a bigger group of crybabies than Canucks fans. Excuse, excuses, excuses! AND, your own player has a bad game you guys would stab him in the back in a second. Pathetic!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 01:58:15 AM by Koradian »

Offline robotco

• Adventurer
« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2011, 10:08:44 PM »
I have never met a biffer group of crybabies than Canucks fans. Excuse, excuses, excuses! AND, your own player has a bad game you guys would stab him in the back in a second. Pathetic!

that's right! we're BIFF punk! and no one turns their back on our team. talk to some fans and stop reading the boston herald and you'll get a better idea!

Offline west coast tatterdemalion

• Veteran
« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2011, 01:56:21 AM »
The Bruins are simply the better team. They are just better than Vancouver. If Vancouver does win the Cup, it is a travesty. Like someone said, the differential is 19-8 for Boston. That is crazy. Vancouver has won all three games by a goal in each whereas Boston has dominated Vancouver in their wins. Luongo is a shaky goaltender while Thomas is badass right now. It would be a shame if Vancouver hoists that Cup because they don't deserve it. They have been outplayed.

Offline Koradian

• Fanatical Supporter!
  • Super Waygook
« Reply #90 on: June 16, 2011, 01:59:01 AM »
I have never met a biffer group of crybabies than Canucks fans. Excuse, excuses, excuses! AND, your own player has a bad game you guys would stab him in the back in a second. Pathetic!

that's right! we're BIFF punk! and no one turns their back on our team. talk to some fans and stop reading the boston herald and you'll get a better idea!

You're an idiot. Let's see what tune your singing if Boston wins.

Offline Davey

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #91 on: June 16, 2011, 02:12:11 AM »
Guys, please stop the bickering.

The Bruins are simply the better team. They are just better than Vancouver. If Vancouver does win the Cup, it is a travesty. Like someone said, the differential is 19-8 for Boston. That is crazy. Vancouver has won all three games by a goal in each whereas Boston has dominated Vancouver in their wins. Luongo is a shaky goaltender while Thomas is badass right now. It would be a shame if Vancouver hoists that Cup because they don't deserve it. They have been outplayed.

While you make some valid points, whether the Bruins are the better team will be determined tomorrow. They're clearly the better team on home ice, but if they were the better team overall, they would've won the series by now.

It'll all be decided tomorrow.

Have fun watching the game, guys!
------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

Offline Yu_Bumsuk

• The Legend
« Reply #92 on: June 16, 2011, 12:48:56 PM »
Oh my. This doesn't look to have the makings of a happy day in Vancouver.

Offline Yu_Bumsuk

• The Legend
« Reply #93 on: June 16, 2011, 01:43:57 PM »
Well congrats Boston. Recchi certainly deserves it. What a way to retire.

Offline jglide

• Adventurer
« Reply #94 on: June 16, 2011, 01:55:11 PM »
Bruins!!!! So stoked right now! The scene in Boston is crazy from what I hear.

Boston was the better team throughout the series and deserved to win. Canuck's have a great squad. The difference was in net. Thomas just entered legend status in Boston sports.

Good luck to Vancouver going forward. I sincerely hope you guys win one soon, just not at Boston's expense.

Offline Yu_Bumsuk

• The Legend
« Reply #95 on: June 16, 2011, 04:34:02 PM »
Lovely - they're rioting in Vancouver. Yes, the shop and car owners certainly deserve to have their windows broken and shops and cars set on fire for what happened tonight.

Imagine if Vancouver had gone down purely because of a bad call.

Offline Cereal

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Awwww man!
Boston Bruins win the cup: A short story
« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2011, 04:42:02 PM »
The Bruins and Me

I haven’t felt this good since……..

It was the ’73-’74 NHL season, and my father and I were walking around Alexis Neon Plaza in Montreal before the Bruins were to play the Canadiens. I was a diehard Bruins fan and despised the Habs with every beat of my heart; my father felt pretty much the opposite.

We were strolling through a department store; I had my head down looking at something that had attracted my 13 year old eyes. As I walked around the end of the aisle I bumped into someone.

Looking up to say sorry, my jaw dropped open and my eyes bugged out like Marty Feldman.

“Hello son, how are you today?”, said Bobby Orr.

“Bobby Orr” I stammered.

“What’s your name?”

“Phillip, Mr. Orr.”

“Please” he chuckled, “call me Bobby.”

“Okay sir”, and he chuckled again.

In my opinion he is the greatest player to ever lace ‘em up and he was asking me what we were doing.

Although he always denied it – at least to me – I am certain my father was equally star struck.

I told Bobby we were going to see the game. He asked who I was hoping for. The Bruins, Mr. Orr, was my response. He then asked me who my Dad was hoping for. I told him, a little shame-faced, my Dad was a Habs fan.

Bobby Orr said that was okay and he’d forgive my father that slight while giving my Dad a big grin.

Then he opened his briefcase and pulled out an 8X10 glossy and asked me if I wanted an autograph.

I nearly fainted. I still have it to this day. Tucked away and never to be forgotten.

Later, at the game, I was the beneficiary of a constant stream of snide comments, pokes and jabs from my dear departed father as the Habs were pounding the Bruins 4-1 into the dying minutes of the 3rd period.

But these were the Big Bad Bruins, and a true Bruins fan never gives up, just like the players themselves.

They poured on the pressure: Orr, Esposito, Hodge, Bucyk, O’Reilly, good God what a team!

The Bruins score! It’s 4 – 2 with 3 or 4 minutes left. I glanced up at Dad…confidence exuded from his every pore.

Here come the Bruins with Gilles Gilbert racing to the bench for another attacker. Black and gold swarmed the ice. It was like they outnumbered the Habs 3 to 1. Ken Dryden was being peppered with shots from angles he didn’t know existed.

The Bruins score!! It’s 4 – 3 with just about a minute and a half to play. I glanced up at Dad. Stoic and iron jawed will…but was that a bead of sweat on his upper lip?

And here come the Bruins, buzzing around the Montreal end like a swarm of bees.

Tick tick tick…time was winding down. I felt my Dad stealing glimpses at me. I felt his unexpressed giddy laughter which he was politely waiting to bestow upon me until our drive home.

And here come the Bruins. Tick, 15, tick 14, tick and they SCORE to tie the game at 4.

I was screaming at the top of my lungs. I was screaming loud enough for four lungs!

The clock wound down and the game ended in a 4 all tie. The Bruins won by a million to zip in my mind.

The drive home was happy…but only by half!

Thank you Mr. Orr. Thank you BOSTON!!!!! I never stopped believing.

Dare I ponder two in a row? I think I dare. I think I dare indeed.

Oh how I miss my Dad. I wish he were alive today, so I could torture him!  ;D

"The urge to destroy is also a creative urge."
Bakunin

Offline barbeeb22

• Adventurer
« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2011, 04:44:32 PM »
The big players for the canucks just didn't show up.. bruins completely shut down the sedins and kessler. Luongo was missing for 4 games. Defense for the Bruins was pure class. well, there is always next year for us.

Offline Davey

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #98 on: June 16, 2011, 05:16:02 PM »
**Note: this was meant for that Boston Bruins story thread that mysteriously got removed (Bruins haters among the mods?)**

Beautiful hockey story; this coming from a die-hard Habs fan.

(Sorry, but I read Roch Carrier's The Hockey Sweater at age five and since then there's no going back, even if I want to, and even though obscenely overpaid Scott Gomez belongs in an Alaskan beer league for his series-momentum-shifting buffoonery in game four of the opening round. I'm very happy that the team that eliminated Montreal this year went on to win the cup, less shame in that.)

I wanted to post here mainly to talk about Tim Thomas. Mr. Thomas, you're the greatest hockey player in the world today. I don't care where you're from, this Canadian salutes you. You're what Class A hockey is all about, on the ice and off it. Tim, from Canada to Flint, Michigan: THAT WAS AWESOME. Thank you.

And prime, healthy Orr would absolutely undress any other hockey player in history on a frozen pond, including Gretzky and Lemieux.

Boston fans, have your glory. You've earned it and you deserve it, and I was more than happy to see you win.

See you next year in the playoffs... (hopefully sans Gomez).

It wasn't removed; it was moved to this thread (check the second page).
------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

Offline west coast tatterdemalion

• Veteran
« Reply #99 on: June 17, 2011, 01:05:05 AM »
The game when exactly as I thought it would. The Bruins were the better team throughout. Even the games they lost, Vancouver went balls out and the best that they could beat the Bruins was by one goal in each game(and one of those was in OT). I'm not a Bruins or Canucks fan, so I don't have a dog in this fight. I'm neutral and I could see that Boston just seemed to be more dominant throughout the course of the series. And after the classless way that the people of Vancouver acted(rioting), I'm glad that the Bruins won the cup.

Recent Lesson Plans

Lateral Questions by fish2
[Yesterday at 11:42:56 PM]

Would you rather by fish2
[Yesterday at 11:31:50 PM]

New 2015 Grades 5 / 6 Textbooks by Summer
[Yesterday at 07:37:09 PM]

Animal Rights Lesson by pibirogba
[Yesterday at 06:56:51 PM]

Anybody presently enrolled in Teacher Ready (Alternative Teaching Certs Prog.)? by csmeltz
[Yesterday at 06:37:17 PM]

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment