April 18, 2014, 05:23:29 AM

Author Topic: PowerPoint - Video Tutorials  (Read 10717 times)

Daejeon

PowerPoint - Video Tutorials
« on: May 03, 2011, 08:00:29 PM »
PowerPoint Video Tutorials by Daejeon

This is the go to thread for information on PowerPoint, all versions, whether English or Korean.

It is structured to cover essentials, hyper linking, animations, advanced functions, and is concluded with a tutorial on how to make a PowerPoint quiz/bomb game.

If you can't stand listening to my aussie/kiwi/south africanish accent, then I will also post documents for your reading pleasure.

A nice place to start, if you consider yourself "so so" "these days" with PowerPoint, is reading Paul's document on making quiz style games. (It is attached below).

« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 01:15:15 PM by Daejeon »

Daejeon

Re: PowerPoint Video Tutorials
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 12:15:51 PM »
Thank you Jared, I will finish them off tonight/tomorrow

If there is any thing else you guys would like to know how to do in PowerPoint, please let me know

Offline Paul

• Featured Contributor
  • Hero of Waygookistan
Re: PowerPoint Video Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 05:15:31 PM »
I hope you don't mind, but I'll discreetly pop up my printable FAQ here too for anyone wanting a hard copy..

Thank you for taking the time to make this (and making it sticky).
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

Offline tolson

• Explorer
Re: PowerPoint - Video Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 05:01:18 PM »
Wow these video tutorials have been super helpful. Thank you so much.

The biggest issue I have had with PowerPoint has been when downloading and trying to run many of the PowerPoints I have found on here I get the error "no text convertor is installed for this file type".  I am using PowerPoint 2007. I have searched the microsoft help center and PPTFaq.com with no luck.

Thank you again.

Offline annekat

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 11:29:58 AM »
Hi Daejeon, I have a question for you regarding embedding youtube videos in ppt2003.

I followed your tutorial (which was pretty awesome) and got my movie working, however if I save the ppt and reopen it it no longer works.... The shockwave box turns plain white, no X through it and nothing happens...
I've found I can open it's properties, copy the link. delete it and remake the shockwave box and it will work for the duration that the ppt file is open, but again, as soon as I save/close it/reopen it, nada...
Do you have any idea what could be causing this problem? Or where I could look for help?

Thanks a bunch, your tutorials and ppt games have saved many of my classes :)
__You can't make footprints in the sands of time by sitting on your butt__
and who wants to make buttprints in the sands of time???

Daejeon

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 11:50:11 AM »
Hi Daejeon, I have a question for you regarding embedding youtube videos in ppt2003.

I followed your tutorial (which was pretty awesome) and got my movie working, however if I save the ppt and reopen it it no longer works.... The shockwave box turns plain white, no X through it and nothing happens...
I've found I can open it's properties, copy the link. delete it and remake the shockwave box and it will work for the duration that the ppt file is open, but again, as soon as I save/close it/reopen it, nada...
Do you have any idea what could be causing this problem? Or where I could look for help?

Thanks a bunch, your tutorials and ppt games have saved many of my classes :)

sounds like you are not selecting embed true.

Offline annekat

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 11:58:47 AM »

sounds like you are not selecting embed true.

I know, it does sound like that, but have selected it every time.... :(

Daejeon

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 12:16:38 PM »
Could you post the ppt with the movie in it?

Offline annekat

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 12:57:46 PM »

sure, it's made in ppt2003. 

Daejeon

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 01:59:38 PM »

sure, it's made in ppt2003. 

So I looked into it and it appears in the recent PowerPoint update, they changed some options.

Now, if you want the Youtube video to play within PowerPoint, select embed to false. 

You had done everything correctly according to my tut, which was posted prior to the update.

Please let me know if the videos in the attachment play on your computer.

Offline annekat

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 03:22:14 PM »
Woo! It worked! I had to copy the link, delete the object and remake it (which is pretty easy) but after saving and reopening it works.

Strange that nobody else had this problem (or posted about it)(or maybe figured out such a simple fix by themselves)

Anyway, thank you so much, for the tutorial and the help  :D

Offline ericeast

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 12:35:41 PM »
Hi Daejon,

I have a problem with your Angry Birds template...  I can make it work just fine with no problems on my computer in my office (which is in English), but when I move to my classroom, it doesn't work at all. 
I can't choose how many teams on the scoreboard, and when I click the X or check mark, it just takes me to the next slide instead of to the scoreboard slide...  Do you have any advice?

Daejeon

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 01:50:09 PM »
Hi Daejon,

I have a problem with your Angry Birds template...  I can make it work just fine with no problems on my computer in my office (which is in English), but when I move to my classroom, it doesn't work at all. 
I can't choose how many teams on the scoreboard, and when I click the X or check mark, it just takes me to the next slide instead of to the scoreboard slide...  Do you have any advice?

You will need to change the classroom computers trust center settings to allow for macros, Active X, and VBA as well

Offline kalib

• Explorer
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 12:14:58 PM »
Hey Daejeon,

Firstly, I can only echo what most have said about you here on Waygook....Dude, you are hero to the masses and thank you ever so much for your amazing hardwork in creating these awesome games! Imagine my surprise to find out you're a fellow South African! Double yay!!!

I have been using your templates in my classes since discovering them with ooohs and aaahs from my students and will continue using them (if it is OK with you), but I have a small problem. In all of the games with scoreboards, only 6 groups are made provision for. I would like to change the template into allowing more groups on the scoreboards, but I have absolutely no idea how to do it. I've been watching your Youtube tutorials...again very helpful, but I've not come across one that covers this. I may be mistaken

Perhaps, I'm just totally clueless when it comes to these things, but want to learn more.

Again, thank you so much for all your help and hardwork!

Much respect and admiration!

Offline kalib

• Explorer
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 12:17:52 AM »
Thanks Daejeon. Much appreciated. What is your website address?

Offline MrMaggot

• Explorer
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 08:43:31 PM »
Hi Daejeon,

I think your the person I need to help me... but if there's anyone else out there, I would greatly appreciate if you could step forward.

I downloaded this "Catch the Vocab" game from an elementary school 6th grade thread (thanks to the original poster). It's a really great game and students go crazy for it so I want to modify it and use it for other lessons but I can't change the pictures as I can't locate them in the PPT. (You'll understand when you look at the PPT). I just don't have a clue how to do it or indeed if it can be done.

So, I was wondering if someone can help.

I've attached the PPT so if someone could just try to change the pictures. They seem to be embedded in the file somehow.

Thanks guys.... :D

Daejeon

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 08:50:13 PM »
So I checked it, and all the pictures are sitting on the slides.  Perhaps you are opening the PowerPoint as "read only".  That is the only thing I can think of from the description of the problem.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:51:28 PM by Daejeon »

Offline MrMaggot

• Explorer
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 04:39:46 PM »
Hi Daejeon,

Ya, I read the instructions in the PPT properly and I now know how to change the pictures. I was just being an idiot.

Thanks for the prompt response. Keep up the good work...

Offline MrMaggot

• Explorer
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 07:08:50 PM »
Hi Daejeon,

I downloaded your Starcraft bomb game template from here and I thought the sounds were really cool so I was hoping I could use them elsewhere.

I found the PPT attached on the Elementary Grade 6 Lesson 10 "I'm stronger than you" thread (thanks to plaswuff for that one) and I am planning to use it this week. However, I thought the PPT would be much cooler if there was sound to go with it so I was hoping I could use the sound that begins when you open slide 7 (for example) of your Starcraft game. I want to attach the sound to all of the slides in the PPT attached below but I don't have the sound file and even if I did I'm not confident that I'd be able to attach it correctly.

Would appreciate your thoughts on this and whether you can help me out.

Thanks again for all ur hard work. 

Daejeon

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2011, 07:55:35 PM »
Here you are.  I have lost the original sound file, so I am unable to attach a riff header to the mp3, making the file size is enormous.

Recent Lesson Plans

Defining opinion by Wil
[Today at 12:58:36 AM]

Good prizes to give out at the end of the year? by englove
[Yesterday at 11:28:17 PM]

30 mins of Kindie- no writing - no drawing - too many kids for games...WTF? by Mezoti97
[Yesterday at 06:30:27 PM]

The Grand National - by hick
[Yesterday at 05:59:58 PM]

My Adventure Time Lessons 5-6th grade by skountz
[Yesterday at 05:33:44 PM]

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment