November 24, 2014, 02:58:33 PM

Author Topic: Camp Theme - Winter/Summer Olympics  (Read 16231 times)

Offline jkrohe

• Waygookin
Camp Theme - Winter/Summer Olympics
« on: February 17, 2010, 02:31:35 PM »
Winter camps are next week for many and thought it would be fun to put together a resource for Winter Olympic games and resources.  Please share if you have any good ideas for activities and/or worksheets.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 03:17:31 AM by complex303 »

Offline mhope1

• Explorer
Re: Winter Olympics
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 04:56:59 PM »
Here is the powerpoint and Jeopardy game I used for my olympics lesson for 4/5th Winter Camp.

Offline mhope1

• Explorer
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 05:13:50 PM »
ps- I also did a winter sports lesson before my olympics lesson....I attached the ppt I made for that and a hidden picture game that goes with it.

[edit: renamed powerpoint - Dayle]
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 11:50:47 AM by mhope1 »

Offline bleakronnie

• Explorer
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 01:11:15 AM »
The wintersports1.ㅐ에.ppt file seems to be corrupted.
Anyone else having this problem?

Offline Dyl

• Fanatical Supporter!
  • Super Waygook
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 10:39:11 AM »
The wintersports1.ㅐ에.ppt file seems to be corrupted.
Anyone else having this problem?

I've renamed the powerpoint and saved it as a Microsoft Office 97 powerpoint (attached under first post); it should load now.
Get a free Dropbox account (2GB) and store your lessons online! http://db.tt/fKpm3q7x

iHerb.com - vitamins, supplements, & natural health products: http://www.iherb.com?rcode=WZN275

Offline mhope1

• Explorer
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 11:59:17 AM »
Also, I had accidentally attached the wrong game to go with the winter sports slideshow (winterwords game).  I have already replaced it with the correct one (wsportsgame)

Offline Koreak

• Super Waygook
English Olympic Winter Camp
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 11:47:45 AM »
Hello everyone.  I thought I would try to draw on the creative juices of this awesome forum and its members. 

I am doing an English Olympics for my Winter Camp and I was wondering what group games are suitable for a group of 25-30 students.

I enjoy the powerpoint Bomb/Super Mario games, however I want to incorporate more relay style games.
The kids' ages range from 8-9, 10-11 and 12-13. 

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Offline LemonWater

• Super Waygook
Re: English Olympic Winter Camp
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 11:53:10 AM »
Do a scavenger hunt - make up a list of questions that students have to answer. E.g. What kind of classroom is room 403. What picture is beside the principals office. You can also hide objects or put up your own pictures and riddles.

Make it a race. I did it with my summer camp and they loved it.

Offline Koreak

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 10:43:36 AM »
Thanks I'll give that a try!

Offline wondershot

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 05:20:56 PM »
One thing that I did during the "sports" section of my winter camp was a paper airplane contest. I gave them paper to make airplanes, then I drew a target on the board for them to launch them at. It wasn't much of a contest really, but they liked it.

You can use http://www.amazingpaperairplanes.com/Simple.html to display plans on your television. They will follow them without any encouragement. But don't forget to teach them some vocabulary first, like "throw", "fold", "gently", "target", etc.

Another idea is printing off the plans, dividing your kids into teams and giving each team a different plan.

Offline kdm04y

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 05:28:03 PM »
Paper, rock, scissors never seems gets old.

Offline Sobeljacob

• Explorer
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 05:28:39 PM »
I really want to do a Olympic winter camp. Has anyone already done a winter camp with an Olympic theme and have useful information/classes/activities that they used that I could use/look at to go off of. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Offline Hollylove

• Adventurer
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 02:16:21 PM »
This comes from the 6th grade I'm stronger than you forum. I taught used it for the final period for that lesson and my kids loved it. Probably one of their favorite games this semester

Offline rainesbaines

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 02:12:14 PM »
What kind of games would be good for an outside field day with 3/4th graders (during winter...)?

Offline teacherjenni

• Super Waygook
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 02:19:46 PM »
I've done Red Rover, but if you want to you could change the rhyme to whatever target language.

Offline heyisa

• Adventurer
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2011, 04:31:20 PM »
I just finished a week long english olympics camp.  For a class of 1-3rd graders, and another class of 4-6th graders.  Went pretty well.

Day 1 - English Speaking Countries Intro / Torch Relay Race
Day 2 - Listening Games / Letter Slap
Day 3 - Reading Games / Magazine Scavenger Hunt
Day 4 - Speaking Games / Talking Table Tennis
Day 5 - Writing Games and Medals Ceremony.

Every team got to choose one of 7 English speaking countries to be (USA, England, Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, or Canada).  I got powerpoints for each country here http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,4123.0.html

Every day there would be an event where the teams would get a bronze, silver, or gold medal.
Gold Medal = 15 points, Silver Medal = 10 points, Bronze Medal = 5 points.  There might also be bonus activities where teams could get bonus points for finishing work.  I put up flags that they colored on the board, and then a blank sticker sheet with the five camp days where they could put gold, silver, or bronze stickers up.  The kids liked putting the stickers on there themselves.
Everyday the gold medal winner would get chocolates, silver, hard candy, and bronze stickers.  (Many kids prefer the hard candy to the chocolate)
Every day I would update the running score for the week.
At the end of the week, the overall winners got better treats and prizes. 

Everyday I would focus on teaching them about another english speaking country with a powerpoint and a youtube clip.  For my younger kids I also made them coloring sheets for every country.

In detail:
Day 1 - English Speaking Countries Intro / Torch Relay Race
•Olympic Intro powerpoint (might have formatting issues as I made it in Keynote for the mac)
•Torch Relay - You can use something cylindrical like a paper towel roll (I used part of a vacuum cleaner), then wrap some red/orange paper around a tennis ball to be the flame.  They have to balance carefully to make sure the flame doesn't fall off, they have to stop if it falls off and put it back on.  One team at a time makes a lap around the room then hand it off to the next person on there team.  They either have to memorize a sentence as they go around or practice dialog("Give me the torch" "Here you go."  "Thank you")
Time how long it takes the team to complete a set number of laps.  Fastest is the winner.
Day 2 - Listening Games
•Intro powerpoint one of the english speaking countries and show a youtube about that country.
•Listening Event - Letter slap.  Put out A-Z letters on a table.  Then say a word that begins with one of the letters and the first person to slap the letter keeps it.  Rotate players.  Once all the letters are gone count to see who has the most.  (I tried to make this a game where they had to use chopsticks, but it got ugly, I also had four teams play this at once, might be better with two teams playing tournaments style.)
•Also did a song listening game where they had to try to tally how many times certain words were said in songs.
Day 3 - Reading Games
•Intro powerpoint one of the english speaking countries and show a youtube about that country.
•Reading Event - Magazine Scavenger Hunt.  Each team got a couple magazines and had to find an example from each magazine based on a list I got them.  When they find an example they cut it out with scissors. (can get messy).  At the end of a set amount of time tally how many each team got.
•for my lower students I had them read kids books and write down words that started with 20 different letters)
Day 4 - Speaking Games
•For older kids did talking table tennis.  I actually had a mini- table tennis sets I put up on a table.  Teams played tournament style.  They had to tell me the score correctly.  Practiced the dialog "What is the score?"  "The Score is __ to ____."  The older kids got ten points per scores so they practiced saying 10,20,30, 40...100 points wins the game.  If they couldn't correctly say or remember the score they didn't get the point.  Playing Table Tennis was intimidating to some students, so you can do this dialog practice with any game.  With my younger students I changed it to a rock scissor paper competition.
Day 5 - Writing Games and Medals Ceremony.
•We made hot chocolate, after doing a hot chocolate word scramble sheet-each team had to try to spell 20 words with the letters in the word "hot chocolate."  (Tip: Be sure the hot chocolate is not buring hot, because young kids will keep burning there tongues, chocolate > 2nd degree burns)
•Sentence scramble balloon pop event.  Takes a bit of prep, but I cut up sentences and put them in balloons.  Do not fill the balloons too much.  Then tell the kids to pop the balloon but they cannot use their hands or step on the balloons.  The less inflated the balloons the better.  Once the balloon is popped they have to find the words inside, unscramble the sentence and write it down and bring me the written sentence and the word fragments.  The first team to complete three sentences wins.  With the younger kids I made them unscramble words that I had written on the board.  So each balloon had letters inside.  Fun.
•Medal Ceremony - Find some olympics theme music to play and give out candy/prizes to runners up, then better prizes for bronze, silver, and gold.

Offline beckster119

• Explorer
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 02:05:33 PM »
Here are some materials that I used for my Mini-Olympics lesson.  I also gave out fake medals at the end.  If you don't have medals, candy or any prize would work well.

Offline KevinfromSeattle

• Explorer
Summer Olympics
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 11:41:57 AM »
Here's a Summer Olympics camp. The focus is on creating Olympic teams from English speaking countries, playing volleyball and soccer, and doing TV coverage, too.  I did TV videos and commercials with my kids in the States and they like it a lot. If you use it, please let me know how it goes. 

Thanks.

Kevin

Offline hjh

• Adventurer
Summer Olympics
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2011, 05:18:23 PM »
I'm doing Summer Olympics for one day of my summer camp- here's some materials I've found and made. Enjoy!

Offline hjh

• Adventurer
Re: Summer Olympics
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2011, 05:23:24 PM »
And some ppts. The first is just hidden pictures of a few Korean athletes. The second is a Jeopardy game (unfortunately the medals don't disappear after you click on them. The third is just some (not all) sports and Olympic games vocab.

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment