April 20, 2014, 06:37:15 AM

Author Topic: (2011 National) Grade 5, Lesson 2 - "Do You Have English Class Today?"  (Read 50413 times)

Offline complex303

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Super Waygook
The posts concerning the quality of materials on waygook has been split.  If you'd like to continue that conversation you can find it here.

Also, thanks Lisa_03 for the cat story and mini-book...especially the mini-book!

Offline CultureShock

• Adventurer
  • Eye think so
Here is a Starcraft Bomb Game review of lesson 2 - Do you have English Class today?  It also reviews a few things my students learned from lesson 1. There's also a bit of flavor, so feel free to add/delete to fit your class' needs. I borrowed pictures from all over the place. Enjoy!

see attached*

- New version of PPT.
- Old version of PPT.

p.s. shameless self plug for the original template can be found here: http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,5621.0.html
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 06:17:18 PM by CultureShock »
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I meant what I said, and I said what I meant, an elephant is faithful one hundred percent!
-Dr. Seuss

Offline rhetoric

• Veteran
Thanks to dessa for putting up "Bob's Week" which I used as a handout, along with the "I never go to Work" fill-in-the-blanks.

My students, used to wordsearches, had some problem with the word maze, and so I made this Powerpoint which guides them through the drawing.  They tend to get right to work once a piece of paper is in their hands, so prior to the exercise, to give them a sense of the narrative, this powerpoint begins with the story of Bob.  I had students take turns and read it in turn, with each new reader repeating the text leading up to the new verb.  To help them connect the meaning with the words, I've added animated .gif's to reinforce the meaning. 

The maze draws itself with only a few clicks. 
Mother is the Invention of Necessity

Offline Hollylove

• Adventurer
Thanks to dessa for putting up "Bob's Week" which I used as a handout, along with the "I never go to Work" fill-in-the-blanks.

My students, used to wordsearches, had some problem with the word maze, and so I made this Powerpoint which guides them through the drawing.  They tend to get right to work once a piece of paper is in their hands, so prior to the exercise, to give them a sense of the narrative, this powerpoint begins with the story of Bob.  I had students take turns and read it in turn, with each new reader repeating the text leading up to the new verb.  To help them connect the meaning with the words, I've added animated .gif's to reinforce the meaning. 

The maze draws itself with only a few clicks.

This is great! I made some changes to it to fit American english (football = american football pictures) since my kids say soccer vs. football. But other than that it's a great explanation. Also i'm uploading a simple memory game.

I number the students at each table starting at one - through the equivalent number of students at the largest group (i.e. if one table has a group of six but every other table has a group of 5. The other tables will each have one student who has two numbers.) Show them the first round and tell them they have 30 seconds to memorize the table. Once 30 second are over I make the pictures disappear and then call out a number. The student at each table whose number I call out then stands up. The first one standing has the first chance to tell me the order of the pics using the key expression. They must guess in order. Once they tell me one correct answer i show it. If the student misses one then I make them all disappear and give as many points as they answered correct. Then I call out the next number. I don't move rounds until one student can tell me all the pictures in the correct order.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 11:55:50 PM by Hollylove »

Offline KiddieCAT

• Veteran
here's the Korean words for the motions-days of the week post I made earlier.

monday (what if) Korean translation "what is it"  뭔데

wednesday (clap motion) korean translation "i'm really happy to see you"  웬일이니

Offline csw06

• Explorer
Here is a lesson I created for Lesson 2 Period 5. The kids really like the story time because I let them be creative and do some sort of project. This time we listened to the story, talked about good and bad habits, and did a project making Venn Diagrams. It took up the whole class period (40 min) and the kids really enjoyed it.

Offline marathon8701

• Explorer
Here is a zip file with some songs that my kids loved.

One is about subjects and the other is a rap about the days of the week.

Check them out!  You won't be disappointed!

Credit to my coteacher for these files.

Offline yvettegcruz1

• Explorer
Re: Grade 5, Lesson 2 - Days of the week, Lotto! (2011, Merged with old)
« Reply #107 on: March 31, 2011, 05:40:44 PM »
Here is a fun way to practice writing.

Students have to choose three days of the week and cross their cute little fingers and hopefully one of them wins the lottery.  They can win a sticker, team points, or anything else you feel is suitable.

Here's a cool song to talk about favorite subjects:
http://genkienglish.net/teaching/school-subjects-song

Big Bang and Rain PPT (Roleplay or Sentence scrabble)
Review the sentences with the students then play sentence scrabble.  I made the letters big in Microsoft Word then glued them on construction paper, cut them out and put them in a separate envelopes.  One sentence for each group.  Speed sentence writing and scrabble at the same time, they had a blast!^^ 

Enjoy!  :) ;)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 06:46:24 PM by yvettegcruz1 »

Offline dsdubya

• Adventurer
Practice with days, classes, key sentence and then the minesweeper game.

This minesweeper game is AWESOME! It will really help my students say the full sentences!! Thanks for sharing!

Offline KiddieCAT

• Veteran
Here's a PPT that I altered from someone on here (THANKS!) I've added 3 new subjects, Home Economics, Social Studies and Ethics, then gave Spongebob those classes on saturday.

Offline CarlySQ

• Adventurer
Vocab PPT, Sentences PPT, and Lottery Game
« Reply #110 on: April 04, 2011, 06:21:50 PM »
At the end of every lesson, my coteacher insists that we have one vocabulary and one "sentences" test. Since I think the key sentences and vocab sometimes get lost in the textbook dialogs, I always make ppt's for the vocabulary and sentences that go along with each lesson. I mainly use them to introduce the vocab and sentences at the beginning of each lesson. I think the students like the fact that they are seeing the vocabulary outside of the "Jinho" context, if you know what I mean. So, I have attached the sentences PPT and the vocab PPT.

I have also attached a "lottery game" that I made up. To play this game, I have the students write down their vocabulary words on blank paper. (The one attached to this message uses only a few of the vocabulary words, so look at it in order to know which words your students should write down.) Have them cut out the words so that only one word is on each slip of paper. After that, they should arrange their words on their desks in 2 columns. An example arrangement for this specific ppt would be like this:

Korean       English

Music        Art

Science     Math

The students should place their words any way they like, so showing them an "example arrangement" might be dangerous because they will be likely to just imitate yours. Make sure they are just putting them in random order, though, because that is necessary for the "luck" factor in the game. Once they have arranged their words, they are not allowed to touch them until the game is over.

The way to win a point is to have the pictures on the screen appear in the same order that the student has placed his/ her words. For example, if I am a student playing the game and I have my words arranged like I showed above, I would win a point if one of the slides in the PPT showed a picture of someone playing music to the left of a picture of someone doing art. I wouldn't win a point if the pictures were swapped, though. Essentially, students are creating little "lottery tickets" with their vocabulary words.

This may be an overexplanation of a very simple game, but if you have questions, just let me know. My students love it, and it gets them reading, writing, speaking, and listening.

Offline teacher_del

• Expert Waygook
As the sixth period project, we will be making flip-flap books.  (They require only one sheet of paper instead of 1.5 to 3.)  Thanks to another poster for tipping me to the book site!  :) 

I've attached my blank template for a five-page flip-flap book.  When printed, factoring in the margins, it's a reasonably close facsimile of five equal parts.  My students will write the days of the week on the outside of the flap, write the sentence "I have ___ class on _____" on the back of the flap, and draw a corresponding picture inside.  We'll see how it goes....

Offline yvettegcruz1

• Explorer
We decided to neglect Jinho sometimes.  :)  Enjoy the Harry Potter Roleplay!  :D

Offline letsgoteacher

• Veteran
Here's an info gap I made....
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 03:43:10 PM by letsgoteacher »

Offline Teacha Monica

• Explorer
Re: Grade 5, Lesson 2 STORYTELLING
« Reply #114 on: April 06, 2011, 06:17:22 PM »

PPT & GAME (cloze sentences) for storytelling. 

We then did role play where students had to guess the item that was being inferred in a conversation.  I'm sorry, I don't have those scripts now, I will post them as soon as my coteacher sends them to me.

Enjoy.

Offline leerose

• Explorer
For Lesson 2 Period 5, my co-teacher suggested that we replace the book's "Storytime" activity with a more interesting children's book. She chose "Inside Mary Elizabeth's House," by Pamela Allen. The story is only loosely related to the chapter, because it includes some days of the week, but I am posting it here because the lesson was such a success with our students. Hopefully some of you might be able to access the book and share it with your students as well.

I'm posting my lesson plan & comprehension questions (just a brief outline), a Ppt that reviews vocabulary covered in the book, a Ppt of scanned pages from the book, scripts for a role play (5 different scripts, each team performs one part of the story), and a word search.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Offline MelKorea

• Explorer
I have attached a simple survey sheet that you can give the kids to do a survey on the classes.
This template can also be used for folding bingo.

Have the students fill in the day and the subject:
"English Class- Tuesday"
Then the teacher calls out subjects and days "I have english class on Tuesday"
If the students has that on either end the may fold it under. The student to fold it all up first is the winner.

Offline danicke

• Adventurer
Probably too late, but here it is anyways!

Offline deedee

• Explorer
Review and a 'battleship' game...

Offline DH

• Explorer
Here is a speed mime game for Lesson 2.  Let the students view and practice the PPT first.

1. Divide the students into teams.

2. Give each team member a number.

3. Let number 1 face the TV screen and the rest of the team have their backs to the TV. They should be about 5 metres 
    away. Start to time the team and the first student looks at the picture and mimes the class/practice. When the team 
    has guessed correctly the 1st student re-joins the team and the 2nd student replaces the 1st and mimes the next
    picture and so on.

4.  Give each team 2 minutes and count the number of correct guesses. The team may choose to 'pass' if they cannot
     guess. The team that has the most correct guesses in 2 minutes is the winning team.

5. For each team you have, scramble the slides by dragging them to a new location.  So, for example if you have three
    teams make 3 copies of the PPT and scramble the order of the slides.

Hope this works okay, please give me feedback and comments if you use this PPT.

confusedsafferinkorea,  This was a great idea. I used your powerpoint with a few changes and similar idea to the game. The kids loved it! They were all really into the game.   
*one change i did, was had 3 teams. One person from each team came to the front and sat with their backs to the TV. So the rest of the students had to act out the sentence. first student in front to ring the bell and say the correct sentence got the point. 

Recent Lesson Plans

Middle School Students Don't Like Anything by YounguhTchr
[Today at 03:23:11 AM]

Connect Four by powelldr
[Yesterday at 11:56:50 PM]

Writing College Admissions Essays 수시 by Landfried
[Yesterday at 11:13:54 AM]

Need some help with materials! by Wintermute
[Yesterday at 06:37:16 AM]

"Teaching philosophy" by Wintermute
[Yesterday at 04:41:22 AM]

Buy/Sell/Trade