September 22, 2014, 01:05:39 AM

Author Topic: (2011 National) Grade 5, Lesson 2 - "Do You Have English Class Today?"  (Read 52958 times)

Offline eeeeeps

• Explorer
Lesson Plan for Games and Activities - Do You Have English Class Today?

Offline apsy98

• Explorer
Grade 5- Unit 2 Voca
« Reply #181 on: April 12, 2011, 03:57:54 PM »
Here's Voca list for Grade 5 Unit 2 :)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 01:16:34 PM by complex303 »

Offline teecha

• Explorer

"What's Your Favourite Subject" song. The Grade 5 kids at my school love it and walk around singing it at lunch time. We get them to stand up when it's a subject they like.

[http://genkienglish.net/schoolsubjects.htm]

Offline smileivy

• Explorer
Here is a song about "subject". Students like this song~!

Offline krrobert

• Explorer
5th Grade - Do you Have English Class today?
« Reply #184 on: April 12, 2011, 05:23:57 PM »
Cat Walk Activity:
This is a simple power point that plays music while a weird cat dances around when you click the mouse the music stops and the "question slide" appears. First, I dance around the class room holding a ball (any object will do) as the music plays and the animated cat dances on the screen, when my co-teacher clicks the mouse to stop the music, whatever desk i am nearest to must answer the question on the screen. After about 2 or 3 times i tell the kids i am too tired and ask who wants to be the"Cat" ...usually everyone raises their hand. Fun game for all!

Offline gkspks

• Explorer
Hello everyone! First few times posting so hope it's useful! In this lesson we used 'The Whisper Game'- it's kind of like chinese whispers- just in race form.

Having done the lesson on 'subjects' and 'days' we have the students line up into 2 or 3 or 4 groups (depending on the size of the class). At the front of the class we have the phrases that we've learnt during the lesson written on the whiteboard.

One teacher whispers a phrase/ word to the student at the back of each group. READY. SET. GO. The chain starts, and they whisper from one to the next. The winning team is the one who points to the correct phrase on the board and shouts (e.g. I have Math class on Tuesday).

Our kids love it, and it gets them to practice listening, speaking and even a bit of reading.

We've attached the sentences we used for the lesson, but one of the great things is that you can vary the difficulty of language, depending on the level of your class.

Hope you find it useful!

This is a powerpoint we used for the end of the lesson- groups of 4/5. The slides come up with mixed up sentences and the kids race to work out what is says. First team with the correct sentence gets a 'star' (we have groups A-F written on the board, if they get a point just draw the star underneath their team name).

Any more questions just ask, be more than happy to help!

[MOD EDIT: consecutive posts merged]

« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 02:49:47 PM by foreverJ »

Offline krrobert

• Explorer
Hello,
This game was a BIG success with my 5th graders. It's called "Think Fast". First i split the class into two even teams. Then i give each team member a #. Now their should be 2 number ones, twos...sevens, eights, etc - 1 on team 1 and another on team 2. The i call a number, that person from each team comes to the front of the class. I am holding a giant plush dice. You can use any object as long as its soft. I tell them to look at the PPT slide.  The PPT  is really basic. Each slide shows a picture of a subject, for ex - "english class" AND a day of the week at the top, for ex "Saturday".  Then i tell the students to put their hands behind their backs. Then i say 1 of 3 words - "Today", "Tomorrow", or "Yesterday". As soon as the student hears my word and knows the  sentence, they must snatch the dice/soft object and say the sentence. For the example, "English Class and Saturday", i say "Tomorrow!" The students who grabbed the dice first would have to say "I have English Class on Sunday". If i had said today the sentence would be "I have English class on Saturday". If i had said
"yesterday!" the sentence would be "I have english class on Friday".

I have included the "today, tomorrow, yesterday" key as well. Of course, you can make up your own slides if you'd rather. This game can be used for a variety of topics, grades, and lessons.

Offline gkspks

• Explorer
This is our invention 'Spongebob Hangman'  and unsurprisingly it's used just like the old hangman, but spongebob's arms, face, legs and body come off. We made it to make an old game mildly interesting, but instead it provoked mass sorrow if a wrong letter is given.

We are lucky enough to have the facilities to laminate and make them magnetic, but you could just use paper and card ith a bit of blu-tac.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

Offline kimmyp

• Explorer
Lesson 2 "Do you have English class today?" new vocabulary
« Reply #188 on: April 12, 2011, 09:27:41 PM »
Pretty simple - just a PPT with new vocabulary to elicit the kids to guess what each class is.  You can make adjustments to it depending on the level of your class.  I also have this in Keynote version for Mac users.

You can see a preview of it here: http://www.slideshare.net/kimmypocket/do-you-have-english-class-today - you can download it, but it might need to be tinkered with to make it work.  Not sure.

Offline kimmyp

• Explorer
Grade 5, Lesson 2 - Do You Have English Class Today? - key sentences
« Reply #189 on: April 12, 2011, 09:38:29 PM »
We used this PPT to help students learn the key sentences.  There are also instructions to a game at the end, although we never ended up using it. 

Click here (http://www.slideshare.net/kimmypocket/grade-5-chapter-2-lesson-2)to visit the my slideshare site where I upload my PPTs.  You can download from there, but it always kind of screws up the way the slides look - at least from the preview.  If you download it and it's messed up, you can e-mail me and I'll send you the PPT or the Keynote slide (for mac users).

Offline Chetts

• Explorer
My co-teacher likes for me to write up dialogue based on the topic at the level in the textbook. Some students are at a lower level and others are higher so  I write 3 dialogues usually to cater for this.
Hope it helps

Offline acbarajas

• Explorer
The Simpsons doughnut game is a favorite of my students, thanks for posting!
Do it. Do it now.

Offline cheerios

• Explorer
A revised Starcraft Bomb game for Lesson 2

Offline porori34

• Explorer
I made this worksheet.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 03:04:29 PM by porori34 »

Offline scott.sinclair1983

• Explorer
A simple introduction worksheet for the first class!

Offline pokolin

• Explorer
here's a quick memory game for classes
i also typed up the script for the role play

Offline cinderstellar

• Explorer
Here's some materials for the lesson; hope it helps!

Thanks to whomever posted it originally!!

Offline jennfenn21

• Explorer
BINGO Game!

I played BINGO for the third part of this unit.

Attached are 30 different BINGO cards. I included the Elementary school name, so be sure to change it to your elementary school name!

Offline Belle

• Explorer
I merged some ppts and created some other activites within it and also did a arrange the sentences in the right form at the end of this and made them sing a song while they were telling me the days of the week

Offline christyorama

• Explorer
Here is a simple super mario game ppt for classes.

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment