December 19, 2014, 07:18:44 PM

Author Topic: (2011 National) Grade 5, Lesson 2 - "Do You Have English Class Today?"  (Read 54365 times)

Offline tbarber

• Explorer
I have to do the 'Let's Practice 1' activity called Musical Chairs Game but Im a little confused by the instructions. I have them sit in a big group and they choose the 3 cards they want? (there are 6 in the book) and then one student has no seat and stands in the middle of the group and asks 'do you have english class today?' then the students who have that card stand up and say 'yes, i have english class today'

and then they all try and find a seat again?

My co-teacher (not the one im actually working with on this lesson) says the Korean text says there is no music.

So I guess my questions are:

Do I tell them when to try and sit down again?
Do they choose which Subject cards?

Offline laizamaria

• Adventurer
Here is a simple key expressions ppt. Pretty much covers it all.
Spontaneity is the key to having a good time.

Offline nabi

• Adventurer
I have to do the 'Let's Practice 1' activity called Musical Chairs Game but Im a little confused by the instructions. I have them sit in a big group and they choose the 3 cards they want? (there are 6 in the book) and then one student has no seat and stands in the middle of the group and asks 'do you have english class today?' then the students who have that card stand up and say 'yes, i have english class today'

and then they all try and find a seat again?

My co-teacher (not the one im actually working with on this lesson) says the Korean text says there is no music.

So I guess my questions are:

Do I tell them when to try and sit down again?
Do they choose which Subject cards?

The way my coteacher had them play was everyone kept three cards and put the othe three in the bag... one student stands in the middle and everyone else sits on chairs in a circle around them.  The middle student pulls a card at random from the bag and says "I have _________ class today.  The students who have that card must stand up and switch seats while the middle student tries to steal one of their chairs and sit down.  Whoever is left without a seat must draw the next card.

I hope that made sense.

Offline Bryanth29

• Explorer

I just found this song.  Im gonna use it today in my class. The words move a bit fast.  So it will be more challenging for the advanced students, but I will also write them on the board.

Offline teacherchris

• Explorer
Practice with days, classes, key sentence and then the minesweeper game.

Offline teacher_del

• Expert Waygook
For most of our fifth-graders this year, the days of the week part of this lesson is just review:  they studied days of the week towards the end of last year.  In our first lesson this month, about 80% of my kids were able to recite the days of the week. 

The new part of this lesson is the school subjects portion, which was so lightly touched upon last year that I doubt anyone even noticed.  How are people going about teaching that part?  What resources have you found? 

If my coteacher agrees, I hope to use the song "What's Your Favorite Subject?" from genkienglish.net.  Click here:  http://genkienglish.net/schoolsubjects.htm The full song is available on that page, not just a little sample like most of their stuff. 

I will post any other resources I come up with.  :)

Offline GwangjuLaura

• Adventurer
Thanks Laura....this is Rachel. ^^   How do you upload to waygook? I've been trying to figure it out!

Hey Rachel!

When you write a post, click on additional options underneath the text box and there's a function to attach files there  ;)

Here's the girls generation bomb game adapted for this lesson. Awesome template thank you Sally!! I've also used the pictures from foreverjinxed so thank you too!

Offline Lisa_03

• Adventurer
I made a mini-book reading activity (which also incorporates listening and writing). This took me forever to make, so I hope someone finds it useful! It reviews days and subjects from Lesson 2, and feelings from Lesson 1. Students listen as I read story and fill-in the missing words. There's a PPT with funny pics to go along with it, which my students loved! (The PPT is loosely adapted from another person's -- so thanks to them for some of the pics)!

Offline murakano121

• Veteran
foreverjinxed - those PowerPoint's are amazing.

Thank you!

agree with that. Fantastic....

Offline melissah

• Veteran
I begin each and every lesson w/ 5-10 minutes of phonics-type activities...it may sound boring but you wouldn't believe how well the students do and how AWESOME the experience is.

I posted a couple of PPTs for phonics in Lesson 1 - Th and F ... these two PPTs build off of those for some reviewing etc. They also intro the sounds for A and E...A as in Apple, E as in Elephant (the sounds as per kindergarten instruction in the US).

Hope somebody finds them useful as this is where my energy gets put to use and the rest of the lesson is, most often, strictly taught as the text instructs... :'(

If you're wondering how I go about teaching the A/E slides, there should be a link now in my 'signature' which takes you to my first post regarding phonics...there you'll find a wordy explanation of a super simple concept - if it's unclear, send me a PM and I'll clarify.

Offline mackattack

• Adventurer
I have 40 kids in each class, so Musical Chairs would probably end in bloodshed.  Instead, i'm having the kids play Go Fish in small groups. Or we'll play Telephone (a.k.a. the Whisper Game) using school subjects and days of the week.  Last year, my coteacher and i printed off slips of paper with two school subjects listed.  They would whisper "Today we have ______ and _______."  The last student would tell us "Today we have _______ and ________.  Today is _________."  Each group had a different slip, so each group had to concentrate on their own - no eavesdropping  ^^

Offline wheyguk

• Explorer
Here is a little FIB for the "I Never Go To Work" song by They Might Be Giants.

Offline veedeezee

• Waygookin
The practice PPTs cover the language recommended by the teacher's guide (2011) in the 'let's practice sections 1-4.
+ 4 games.
please read the 'notes' sections at the bottom of the slides
please PM me if you notice any mistakes or problems

This is amazing! :) Thank You!

Offline teacherjenni

• Super Waygook
Here is a ppt my CT made for the vocabulary. It's really cute.
Also I've included a game. I'll try to explain it so it doesnt sound complicated (my students liked it a lot):

Have the students sit in a circle in the floor. Choose someone to start and ask "Do you have class today?" Pull up the first screen to say "I have ___ class today (1)". Ok, the (#) is how many students must stand up to give the response. So, in this case one student would stand and say "I have math class today". Then, the next slide will be "I have ____ class today (2)" So two students would stand up. ]

It goes something like this: 1, 2, 3, 3, 2, 1, 1, 2, 3, 3, 2, 1.....I occasionally throw a 4 in there to keep them on their toes. The catch is, if 3 students are supposed to stand, but only 2 do, then the one who hesitates is out. We played until there were only 5 students left, and they were the winners. You could play til one winner, but the ones left are pretty good and may take a while.

Offline JJ72

• Adventurer
I did a matching pairs game for this lesson... nice and easy. If a team gets a pair they get a point.
Click on the silver circle to re cover the image. Not my template, so thanks to whoever made the original  :D

Offline grosje

• Adventurer
This is stuff we are using for the 3rd period.

Start with Hidden Picture.
Do stuff in text book.
Show PPT and have students make the questions and answers. For the last 2 slides, they have to write the sentences after we say them together.
Game - flicking game, must use same sentence format as was used in PPT.

Offline Lisa_03

• Adventurer
I was asked to re-post this for someone -- Hopefully it opens for you now! ^^

Offline Tuts88

• Explorer
Hey guys, here is a PPT for Grade 5 lesson 2 Do you have english today? It works for the 2nd period.....I got someone else's PPT from waygook and changed some of it so thanks a million!
The review game I play at the start is a simple scramble game ....In groups students try to figure out the word and the first group to write down the correct word gets a point. (I have mini whiteboards that I give to each group)
The game at the end of the lesson is a survey game, I have attached a word doc. worksheet that I will give to the students and they do a milling activity and walk around asking the other students the questions and fill in the worksheet by writing the answer. I have limited it  to 10 responses...you can add more if needed.
Oh thanks to whoever posted the the days of the week song...students love singing it!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 12:58:55 AM by Tuts88 »

Offline JC49

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Expert Waygook
whiteboard game you can use for p3 or 4 :)

Offline JC49

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Expert Waygook

Addams family chat song

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment