July 29, 2014, 09:29:59 AM

Author Topic: (2011 National) Grade 5, Lesson 2 - "Do You Have English Class Today?"  (Read 51792 times)

Offline littlebopeep

• Adventurer
I love this story time ppt.  :-*

Offline abbyschm

• Explorer
game to practice the phrases

each group of students gets a calendar, which will also be their game board.  The teacher writes 6 questions on the white board. Students move along the game board (flip a coin, roll a dice, etc), then roll a dice to see which of the 6 whiteboard questions his/her group will ask.  Then, depending on the day of the calendar you will on, you answer the question appropriately.

e.g.  Landed on Tuesday the 9th.  rolled a 4. question four asks:  What classes do you have today?
look at the calendar square you're on... "Today is Tuesday, so i have English, math and art"
etc.

Other questions are listed in the document!

Offline GwangjuLaura

• Adventurer
Here's a whiteboard game for the writing period with words rather than sentences. We'll use words first as students haven't played this game with us before and then move on to sentences  :)

Offline confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
Here is a speed mime game for Lesson 2.  Let the students view and practice the PPT first.

1. Divide the students into teams.

2. Give each team member a number.

3. Let number 1 face the TV screen and the rest of the team have their backs to the TV. They should be about 5 metres 
    away. Start to time the team and the first student looks at the picture and mimes the class/practice. When the team 
    has guessed correctly the 1st student re-joins the team and the 2nd student replaces the 1st and mimes the next
    picture and so on.

4.  Give each team 2 minutes and count the number of correct guesses. The team may choose to 'pass' if they cannot
     guess. The team that has the most correct guesses in 2 minutes is the winning team.

5. For each team you have, scramble the slides by dragging them to a new location.  So, for example if you have three
    teams make 3 copies of the PPT and scramble the order of the slides.

Hope this works okay, please give me feedback and comments if you use this PPT.
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

The earth is flat....... I think, ha ha ha !!

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Offline rhetoric

• Veteran
Many thanks to the OP for suggesting this son, which helps to teach the days of the week (Friday, I'm in Love by The Cure).  Here it is in an easy to use autosynched PPT.  I use the initial slides for reading practice, asking each student, in turn, to read the lyrics on the screen.  They then sing along after the music starts. 
Mother is the Invention of Necessity

Offline rhetoric

• Veteran
Remember to stop manually clicking once the music starts.  The slides will click through on their own, although, since the internal clock varies in each computer, you may have to adjust timing by a fraction to suit the machine you're using.
Mother is the Invention of Necessity

Offline lsterneleftthebuilding

• Adventurer
This is stuff we are using for the 3rd period.

Start with Hidden Picture.
Do stuff in text book.
Show PPT and have students make the questions and answers. For the last 2 slides, they have to write the sentences after we say them together.
Game - flicking game, must use same sentence format as was used in PPT.

Thanks very much grosje!  The flicking game in particular will keep my really low level, somewhat hostile students (in the back anyway) interested this time around, I think..

Offline chizzin

• Adventurer
Song lyrics for WTWBG - I have them laminated and the students have to put them in order.  I play once with video then give them out.  They then get to listen to it twice (with no video).  I think its great as it reinforces the days of the week for the lower kids and is also a little challenge for the rest.  I have them in pairs.

Scrabble game.  In groups with scrabble pieces they have to spell the word from the ppt.  They have to put their hands on head when they think they are right.  Fastest correct team 2 points, all other that are correct 1 point.  I help the lower students by suggesting letters as I walk around etc.  All my classes love this game.

Lesson 2 I will play the Cure song for motivation and then do some blackboard activities.  Last the whisper game.  It has always works well so that should be enjoyable.

I don't know how other people classes go, but my lot seemed to get bored with ppt games (bomb games etc). So I try to use them once in a blue moon and try to use other stuff as much as possible.

Offline jalbrto

• Adventurer
Made a pass the ball game for a quick warm up to part 5. I will use 2 balls. One Ss asks, and the other responds. Used the 2 balls last time and it works better than just 1. Kids are looking at one ball but forget about the second.

Got the rest from KT website, I put what I thought was worth doing in class. One is a gap fill excercise, it is pair work. One Ss has the others answers.

Then there is a running diction game. The rules and instructions are on a PPT. Again, this is from a KT website. It will help to explain, especially for those that have to teach alone, or to explain to your KT how to play. I will cut out the 6 slips. One for each day, and tape them all around the classroom instead of all the slips being in one location. That way all the kids are not all in the same place. Attached is the time table as well. Easy enough to change depending on the classes you taught the kids.

Lastly there is a dice game. Kids fill in the blank schedule. Have them repeat the key phrase with the subject and day. Simple enough and it worked. Just had the kids police themselves. Skip turns, for no English, droping the dice, any shinanigans. Team with most subjects got stickers. I told them they could not repeat the subject on any day, made it more competitive, because in the first class, one group had 5 art classes on friday.

Those are all the activities that are worth putting up from the KT website. I thought anyway. Some will need some editing according to the way you taugth.

Offline jcscraps

• Explorer
The Sonic Game is BRILLIANT!!!! :) ;) :D ;D :P :laugh: Love it!

Offline yonag

• Explorer
Maybe it's a little late to bring this up, but for the writing portion of lesson 2 (pages 26-27), I eased the dullness a little by having a simple "blind writing contest" for "Listen and Write" on page 27.

- I asked who is confident in their writing and picked two students, one girl and one boy.
- I gave them blindfolds to put on (luckily, we had a couple lying around??).
- I brought them to the front of the class and gave them chalk.
- I played the CD sound clip for a sentence.
- Whoever got it completely right won; if they both got it right, then the faster one won.
- I picked different kids for each sentence.

It was pretty successful in perking up the class; after the first round, I got a lot of hands raised for the next one.  Also, it was fun to point out illegible words and the overall sloppiness of some writing.

Hope this can help someone..

Offline moys

• Adventurer
Here is a PPT Guide for the book making project (period 6).  The students can see instructions on how to make a book and what to write.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 11:04:16 AM by sweetmoya »

Offline daninsanam

• Veteran
This ppt is a word scramble of subject names.

Offline amycock

• Veteran
As my students are quite low level and the story in the book isn't very good I prepared a worksheet to go with Jasper's beanstalk story. I will use this for part 5 'story time', I will use the textbook work but not spend too much time on the activities. Then i will read the story and give out the worksheet, we will read again together and answer questions. My co teacher will translate any words they don't know.

Offline kingzoot

• Explorer
Just to add some more .. to the rest of the pile ;)

A worksheet based on the new book I will set for their homework.

I actually agree that some of the stuff posted on here seems pretty weak and it is a little worrying that people deem it worthy of uploading here. However, I still find a lot of the stuff on here useful. Hopefully the site will not be swamped to a degree that we have to spend hours wading through the mountains of powerpoints to get to something that may be of use.

I realise I have just opened myself up to abuse giving that I am posting material at the same time as saying this but hopefully the quality is OK

Peace out!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 04:09:59 PM by foreverJ »

Offline teacher_del

• Expert Waygook
The supplementary materials section of the teacher's guide (page 491) has a board you can use as tic-tac-toe (choosing a *section* of the board to play on) or Omok.  Slip the pages into a clear file, grab some whiteboard markers, and you're good to go for a pair work game.

Offline KiddieCAT

• Veteran
This went over GREAT with my 4th graders last year and if it wasn't that I already did it (and some may remember) I'd do it again this year!  My old coteacher told me about it, so it might be on Indieschool with a better Korean explanation, but here's the video. 

I played the video then taught the students a different motion for each day. The kids watched the video once, then the 2nd time, I said the days and showed them the motions, then played the song for them to follow.

SUNDAY (arms over head like the sun)
MONDAY (do a 'I don't know', hands up on either side of your body. This motion goes with a Korean word that SOUNDS like monday I'm told. I'll add it when I ask a co teacher tomorrow.)
TUESDAY (peace signs--or victory Europe-- for the number 2)
WEDNESDAY (clap your hands together--the word not 'clap' but another is similar to wednesday)
THURSDAY (point at your throat--same 'th' sound)
FRIDAY (flip your hands over like frying an egg)
SATURDAY (like circle your hands over eachother, as seen in the Hussle--this is to be like tossing a salad.)

Repeat and speed it up to see if the kids can do it faster an faster. You'll get confused too, but everyone will have fun! Will post the corrections for the missing Korean words tomorrow after classes!

Hope you find it helpful :)

Offline mjlee322

• Explorer
Re: Grade 5 Index LESSON 2
« Reply #97 on: March 30, 2011, 11:46:21 AM »
Kids Love the Song "BEAUTIFUL SUNDAY" by Daniel Boone. Make sure to have lyrics. It's reall catchy. and this song is played in a commercial on TV so kids will be able to sing it right away..!  :)

« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 04:11:00 PM by complex303 »

Offline mjlee322

• Explorer
This is a song by Daniel Boone.
It's catchy for kids because of the repetition of words, but also because this song is featured in a commercial in Korea.
the kids Loved singing it! :D

Offline teach1

• Veteran
Role play!

Grade 5s love role play. Why? I don't know.

Anyway. My co-teacher found 6 role plays online that were pretty much the same format but were for 6 different things (chocolate, the computer, a dog etc.)  So we will give each group a different role play and the class will guess what each group is talking about. I wrote 2 more and fixed them up a bit. There's a lot of Korean on there. It doesn't match with what I wrote now, so you'll want to either get rid of it or get your co-teacher to fix it up. Mine is fixing ours up right now.

I just thought it was a good idea to have a bunch of different role plays so that the kids don't get really bored.

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment