December 21, 2014, 08:58:35 AM

Author Topic: Tickets to Ghibli Museum in Japan!!  (Read 2017 times)

Offline tbarber

• Explorer
Tickets to Ghibli Museum in Japan!!
« on: May 23, 2011, 03:44:57 PM »
 Im currently in Gwangju, Korea and will be travelling to Japan August 6-17
The Ghibli website says that tickets must be paid for in advance from a designated
location within Japan or from a designated travel agency in America or Korea.

The Korean site to buy tickets is in Korean and I don't know how it would work
to buy tickets from America (since im in korea)

Has anyone done this before???  I do not want to risk it and buy them while
I'm in the country..

Any help would be appreciated

Offline oskinny1

• Super Waygook
Re: Tickets to Ghibli Museum in Japan!!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 03:49:59 PM »
If you buy them in Japan it can be a pain. You need to get them at a kiosk in a convenience store (not sure which ones sell them) and then have to navigate a complicated system that is all in Japanese. I was with my Japanese friend and she was having a lot of trouble with it. It's worth it though!

Good luck.

Offline madmik

• Explorer
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 03:53:22 PM »
i would say your best bet would be to have a korean speaker help you if you can't do it yourself in korea. when i went with my boyfriend in february, i was lucky because he came to visit me from the states and was able to pick up the tickets at jtb travel agency.

you can also buy your tickets when you land in japan at a lawson convenience store.

http://www.lawson.co.jp/ghibli/museum/ticket/english.html

i think you need to buy your vouchers 3 days in advance.

Offline NicholasCage

• Explorer
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 11:49:55 AM »
It's really easy. Like the guy above said go to any Lawson in Tokyo. You don't need to by them in advance. You can get tickets for the same day. It only depends on availability. Not hard.

Offline aberto777

• Explorer
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 07:11:43 PM »
Hi everyone!

My girlfriend and I are going to Japan from August 13th-20th, I'm a huge Miyazaki fan and feel so dang lucky that advice/help exists here on waygook. Okay, @tbarber
what is the Korean site that you mention for purchasing the tickets? I dont feel very comfortable buying the tickets whilst in Japan...that ATM thingy majig looks too complicated for me. Plus, the Obon festival will be on when we're there, availablity/closed stores, so the sooner we purchase the tickets the better.

So could you post the Korean website please!

Offline aldalpre

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 05:40:09 PM »
I don't know anything about the website, but I can vouch for the ticket machine in Lawson convenience stores. I went with a friend who teaches in Japan and understands a bit of Japanese. The machine was confusing for my friend, so we just got one of the clerks in the store to help us. Everything worked out fine, though. The museum is awesome!

Offline bav

• Explorer
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 05:55:51 PM »
I just ordered a ticket. I am visiting Tokyo from 11th to 22nd august. I booked a ticket for the museum for the 18th. I asked my co-teacher to ring the ticket line in Korea and they were able to help. You can find the information on the museum website. I can't wait to go. :D

Offline MansBored

• Explorer
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 05:49:30 AM »
How was the museum for you?

I went there about 5yrs ago and it was quite possibly one of the most magical places I've ever been to... and I've been to four of the Disneylands AND HersheysWorld!  ;D

Especially loved the Laputa robot on the roof!

Offline dukie

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 01:09:45 PM »
I was just there during summer vacation on August 11th and it was really cool.  I just wished they let people take photos inside because there were a lot of great sketch pieces and props.  Also, be prepared to be pushed and shoved when you get to the gift shop.  It was a mad house when I went!  :(

http://www.ghibli-museum.jp/en/

1. Go to KTB tour's website and register a profile.  Have your Co-Teacher help you with this because it's all in Korean.
2. Once you've registered yourself, pick the day and time you'd like to go and have the ticket sent to you. 
3. Then transfer the total amount from your bank (including the shipping) to their account.  It was really easy.

http://www.ktbtour.co.kr/main/index.asp

I've also attached directions to the Ghibli Museum once you're in Japan.

Good luck and have fun.  I sure did.

Offline Paul

• Featured Contributor
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 05:31:53 PM »
If all else fails, the Ghibli themed LAWSON convenience store directly over the road is willing to sell same day tickets exclusively to foreigners (expat or tourist, I've gone in and bought one in a suit and lanyard before) provided you rock up at a time when the place is not busy. So be there at an awkward time. Anytime during the week if its school holidays, early Monday maybe if its not?

It's worth noting that the Japanese themselves have to buy tickets a minimum one month in advance. I believe this, like the banning of photography and exclusivity of the films shown on site (including a short sequel to Totoro if you're lucky - expect Totoro months to be sold out waaaay in advance) is an ideological request from Miyazaki himself.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 05:41:28 PM by Paul »
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

Recent Lesson Plans

Absent/apathetic co-teacher for camp by Magdalena82
[Yesterday at 10:56:01 PM]

Making 3D snowflakes by Thomas Mc
[Yesterday at 02:23:00 PM]

How the grinch stole christmas 1966 by kitster1
[Yesterday at 10:50:32 AM]

What Was Your Worst Class of the Year Like? by Gekokujou
[December 19, 2014, 06:00:45 PM]

Hollywood Squares- Music Videos by lauragrace
[December 19, 2014, 04:59:57 PM]