August 23, 2014, 04:38:32 AM

Author Topic: Blind fold games for summer/winter camp and after school class  (Read 3942 times)

Offline bolstm

• Explorer
I have played this in my after school and my summer camp. I work in a middle school

First is a version of hide and go seek. You will need one blindfold which can be bought for about 2,000 won.
One person is it, they have to wear the blindfold. Lead them out of the class for about 30 seconds. The other students can hide anywhere in the classroom but they can't move the furniture. When I say time they aren't allowed to move anymore. Bring in the blindfolded student. They have to wonder around the class and try to find one other student. Follow behind them to make sure they don't hurt themselves. Don't play for too long or else the students will get bored with it.

Second. This can be combined with a directions English lesson. I found a version of this on a website somewhere and changed it a bit. I call it tank. You will need blindfolds for half of the class and an equal number of small soft balls. Pair the students up. If there is an odd number then you pair up with a responsible student. One person will wear the blindfold and have the ball, they are the "tank". The other person is the "driver." The driver gives directions to the tank, walk straight, turn left, turn right, duck, throw, etc. The object of this game is to hit other tanks. If a ball hits another pair they are out. Play until there is one team left. To make it harder the driver has to guide the tank to the ball. To make it easier the driver chases and returns the ball. After the first round have the partners switch. If there is an odd number and you are paired with a student you will guide them and watch the other teams. In the second round the student you are paired with will do the same. I played twice before some of the students got bored.

Offline Tyrion

• Explorer
Re: Blind fold games for summer/winter camp and after school class
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 11:17:47 PM »
Awesome idea.  Do you use any sound effects for the tank game?

Offline engbrand

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 11:24:32 PM »
I know this is simple but I played blindfold Rock paper scissors. The kids loved it....nice way to start the lesson...was a big hit...
rodneyromb.wordpress.com

Offline bolstm

• Explorer
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 03:08:31 PM »
you can add sound effects if you want but they wont last long. it gets really noisy without them. it's hard just having them speak english once the games starts. also with the "driver" giving the directions (assuming they are not just moving their partner where they want them to go) it might be too much but go for it. let me know how it goes

Offline flips

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 03:40:11 PM »
a nice variation on the tank game is to put the students into small groups, or pairs, blindfold one, and have them direct the blindfolded student through a minefield of paper cups. time them and have them compete against one another. then do it yourself, with your coT as your navigator and try to beat the students.

best.

Offline bella4041

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 03:51:38 PM »
Love the ideas!
I played a game similar to the tank game working at a summer camp, but I am not sure anyone would have the space for it here. Lots of fun though.
You take groups of three. One person is the mouth, one person is the eyes, and one person is the body (tank). The tank is blindfolded. The mouth faces the eyes. The eyes can't talk, they can only direct the mouth using hand signals, and the mouth can't see the body, it can only say things based on the eyes' hand signals. The body picks up as many balls as possible.
Another variation is that you can have the bodies throw the soft balls at each other, and the last body standing is the winning group. This is a really fun game, and I hope someone is able to use it!

Offline jouelle

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 11:39:19 AM »
I did not have soft balls but I "made" balls out of clean socks and it seemed to work okay.

Offline hankmcmasters

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 12:47:24 PM »
i think this game will work pretty well, i'm looking for more activities that don't have students sitting at their desks.  summer camp needs to be a bit more entertaining than deskwork

thanks for posting

Offline Koter

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 12:54:38 PM »
I've used the blind fold game in the regular class to help with teaching directions. I use two blind folds and their friends have to shout instructions to the two blindfolded students. The object is to find the treasure, a magnet which may be anywhere in the room. They are directed by the words "go straight, turn left, right, up down, etc..

It goes well with our middle school first grade lesson now.

Offline Llory

• Waygookin
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 01:06:33 AM »
Another variation to the blindfold game is to create a map on the floor and split the kids into two teams competing against each other. As the game progresses, the map becomes more complicated, with a very narrow path.

Children love these blindfold games and I think it's a great way to teach directions without using the school-like methods.

Recent Lesson Plans

Dealing with a passive class - Help! by toddsqui
[Yesterday at 05:23:47 PM]

Word Wall Game (like Boggle) & picture guessing by laschutz
[Yesterday at 05:00:59 PM]

Rewards System Overturned, At A Loss by donuts81
[Yesterday at 03:56:23 PM]

Last Class by johnny russian
[Yesterday at 03:54:27 PM]

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment