September 20, 2017, 01:18:22 PM

Author Topic: PC Bangs - Registering for Korean Online Games  (Read 6386 times)

Offline marescja

• Adventurer
PC Bangs - Registering for Korean Online Games
« on: June 14, 2011, 12:08:47 PM »
After my decent gaming notebook fried, I've been visiting PC Bangs whenever I happened to have a bit of extra time. 
Usually I bring my own external hard drive or USB with a few games installed (so far most places have not minded, but I've heard a few do). 
It works well, but there are occasions I have some time to kill and I forget to grab it on my way out.  So instead of being stuck with just playing starcraft or facebooking,
I sat down and messed with it again.

Nexon does not allow foreigners to register.  Netmarble allows it, but only if your name is a certain exact length. 
Hangame, Pmang, PlayNC , and few smaller game sites allow ARC carries to register as foreigners easily. 

In order to register you need:  ARC Numbers, 공공 I-Pin, and your Korean Cellphone. 

When signing up, some game sites give you the option to use an I-PIN.  It's just an easier way to input your information.

https://www.g-pin.go.kr/center/join/join.gpin?

For the game sites that don't you will need to input your Name and ARC numbers yourself. 

You will need to input your name as it it written on you ARC Card, in all caps, without spaces. 

Example:  DOE JOHN JAY -> DOEJOHNJAY

Otherwise, you will get an error message about name length.

While registering you will need to input ID, password, secret question, and most other general registering things.  Some sites however require a phone number to be entered as well. 
The phone number is to help confirm your account.  After you input and confirm the phone number a text message with a code will be sent to your phone.  After entering the code, that should be it.

If you can find a good PC Bang, they are nice little getaways and a part of Korean culture I've always been curious about.
We may not have access to the more popular games, but it's something to mess with.  There are plenty of guides available
on helping to play certain games and also translating a few of the fields for registering. 

If anyone ever figures out how foreigners can register for Nexon or Netmarble without using a Korean's Residential Numbers, please let me know. :P

Offline sirhin

• Explorer
Re: PC Bangs - Registering for Korean Online Games
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 12:31:03 PM »
You are a God.

haha, I needed to get my gaming fix and after a couple of failed attempts to register on a Korean MMORPG site, I came across this post when I was feeling particularly desperate. :) Thanks for posting this up!

Now I'm happily making weekly (perhaps bi-weekly... or more) trips to the PC bang playing games and learning Korean from figuring out the quests... which are, unsurprisingly, in Korean.

Offline marescja

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 01:57:20 PM »
I'm glad it was helpful.

What a few of my mates and I have been doing now a days is using "Steam" in the PC bangs to do LAN parties.
We used to try bringing in portable hard drives with games already installed on them.  Worked for the most part, especially WoW, but was always buggy.
Ended up using the suggestion to use Steam to make "Backup Installs". 
Usually have to change the Steam program from Korean to English, but as long as you remember how to get to settings and language options it's fine.

Install steam on the PC, use the backup install from a portable hard drive to install on to the PC bang's computer. 

After about a 10 minute install, able to play L4D2 and Team Fortress 2.  League of Legends has been pretty doable as well. 

There's been only one instance that a PC bang didn't allow it.  Other than that most don't seem to care too much about it and are usually very friendly and helpful. 

If you do this I recommend not keeping any card information attached to your account or
buying anything on steam in the PC bang, just to be safe. 
Also, restarting a PC Bang computer will usually wipe any thing that was newly installed.

Offline Scarrera

• Waygookin - I can PM now!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 10:31:08 AM »
Thanks to the OP! I've been dying to try out some Korean mmo's. And I'm very happy to see that TERA's publisher is one of the ARC friendly ones! I'll be trying to sign up for an account soon! Thanks again for the post!

Offline C.Dennis

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 11:23:35 AM »
In related "good-ish" news, the ever-popular "Sudden Attack" has moved from the decidedly foreigner-unfriendly NetMarble over to the slightly-less-hostile Nexon.

I haven't tried signing up with Nexon yet, but they host the North American version of Maple Story, as well as a Singapore portal.. so there's maybe hope.

Offline yfb

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 02:47:03 AM »
For what it's worth, you can install and run most games from a virtual desktop on a portable hard drive with Prayayav3. All you do is plug in your HDD, launch the Prayaya program, and you're at your own desktop with your own icons and such. No need to install anything, and nothing is left behind on the host PC. Only downside is that it costs $20 ($40 normally) and it won't work with 64-bit operating systems.
Check it out: http://en.prayaya.com/purchase.html

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment