November 28, 2014, 07:45:47 AM

Author Topic: All About the Ocean Camp  (Read 10264 times)

Offline sheila

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Hero of Waygookistan
All About the Ocean Camp
« on: June 28, 2010, 06:23:56 PM »
Here is the unit plan that I've come up with for this theme.  It's based around the All About the Ocean book on www.evan-moor.com.  You can download it for cheap $22 USD I think.  Then there are some other worksheets that I've got to go along with it.  It has turned out to be a great packet and I'm really excited to teach it.  Hopefully it will be helpful for you all too! Enjoy!
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard!
www.freerice.com

Offline sheila

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Hero of Waygookistan
Re: All About the Ocean Camp
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 01:11:28 PM »
Here's a powerpoint which goes along with this unit.  It is broken down into days by what is covered in the book and the worksheets for each day.  Also there are some worksheet answers in there so you can check them with the kids or just make sure they have the right answers.  It's a pretty big file because it's 80 slides but it's worth it.  Some of the slides look really blank and just have one picture that you can see.  However, when you view it as a slide show, many of the pictures are layered and timed to move in and out.  There is plenty of information to keep your kids interested. Have fun!~
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 01:28:31 PM by sheila »
www.freerice.com

Offline sheila

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 03:51:00 PM »
Okay, so here are some more resources for this lesson which I've found today.  I'm not sure if I'll be using them but I'm sure they might be helpful for some of you.  Many of them are higher level (suitable for middle or high school) so if you were concerned that the others were too easy, these may be worth taking a look at.  But I believe there are some lower level ones, too.  Enjoy~!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 03:52:45 PM by sheila »
www.freerice.com

Offline sheila

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 12:42:46 PM »
Here is another resource found today... good if you have elementary computer time.

http://funschool.kaboose.com/globe-rider/under-the-sea/index.html
www.freerice.com

Offline engbrand

• Veteran
Ocean winter camp vocabulary powerpoint
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 03:52:53 PM »
This is my first post on waygook. This is a simple Ocean vocabulary ppt ideal for 2nd to 4th graders. First I showed a youtube video of a trailer for the movie Oceans. After presenting the ppt, students had to create an ocean poster in their groups. To do this I gave students printed coloring pages of various sea creatures printed off a the internet. Once students had finished coloring and pasting, the co-teacher and I helped label sea animals. To finish we stuck each groups poster on the board and got students to shout out the names of the animals. I know it is a simple lesson but I thought I would share just in case you are looking for something to do with your kids. All the best. Love the website.
rodneyromb.wordpress.com

Offline donuts

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 01:26:50 PM »
Great Materials! thanks for uploading. I made a simple one day lesson for my 3rd and 4th graders for camp. I showed them this powerpoint and then gave them the pdf worksheet where they unscramble the words and then they drew a picture of the ocean with 5 of the animals they learned and labeled them. The next day I reviewed with Bingo, they really liked it.

Offline engbrand

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 11:01:37 PM »
Finishing off the ocean theme tomorrow with a NAT GEO doc on killer whales. Next time I will show the movie: Oceans. Thank you for all the posts. It made my camp a lot better.
rodneyromb.wordpress.com

Offline gepikteachers

• Explorer
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 11:25:54 PM »
Peter Weaterall's Under the Sea is great!
Teach the animals mentioned in the song,
listen to the song,
give Ss a copy of the printed lyrics with blanks where the animals are,
and have them listen and fill in as many as they can.

Offline sweetiesmith

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 03:21:18 PM »
Sheila, I just have to tell you, you're so awesome with lesson planning. I can really tell you spend so much time preparing for your students. I really hope that I can one day gain the same amount of experience as you. Thanks so much for all your contributions to this site!

Offline June13

• Explorer
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 05:58:01 PM »
I found this online read along story that might be useful for some of you. It's about a dog visiting the beach and looking for friends to play with him.
http://kids.aol.com/KOL/2/koljrstories/flashholder/otto-goes-to-the-beach

Offline strawberry

• Expert Waygook
  • Strawberries of Wrath
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 03:03:18 PM »
Sorry, but what level is this for?  :)

Thanks!

Offline sheila

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 04:36:40 PM »
I believe I used this for 3rd and 4th combined. The students were pretty low level but it worked out really well and they had a lot of fun.  Definitely my best elementary camp.
www.freerice.com

Offline jenngoesglobal

• Explorer
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 03:53:23 PM »
Where can you get "Maggie's Ocean Trip?" The only place I can find it you have to pay to print it..? Help !

Offline sheila

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 12:36:25 AM »
You must buy it since it is part of the copyrighted book.  I would definitely suggest  purchasing it, even with your own money since it's a really good resource to have.  Good luck with your camp~!
www.freerice.com

Offline mikeburk

• Explorer
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 06:48:40 PM »
Here is the unit plan that I've come up with for this theme.  It's based around the All About the Ocean book on www.evan-moor.com.  You can download it for cheap $22 USD I think.  Then there are some other worksheets that I've got to go along with it.  It has turned out to be a great packet and I'm really excited to teach it.  Hopefully it will be helpful for you all too! Enjoy!

Sheila-- thanks so much for uploading this and for the advice about the Evan-Moor website.  Huge breakthrough for me in my search for lesson plan materials for my "nature-themed" summer camp. 

All the best!

Michael

Offline buck123

• Waygookin
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2011, 05:40:33 PM »

Thanks, I really appreciate this

Offline suzettec

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 04:01:14 PM »
Here is the ebook All About The Ocean that Sheila talked about.  Hope some people can use it.

Offline Paul

• Featured Contributor
  • Hero of Waygookistan
Under The Sea Lesson Pack (80 mins, 2 levels)
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2011, 02:49:34 PM »
I did this theme for an 80ish minute period in the Winter Kaempeu. The period is split into two halves, the first learning to describe some sea creatures culminating in a Guess Who? type game (using cartoon creatures). In the second half, we use the language framework from the first to learn about a variety of real, unusual or deep-sea creatures and end up designing, labelling and writing about an imaginary one. The goal of the unit is to stimulate curiosity in parts of the planet as yet largely unexplored.

A single presentation ties it all together and each resource set has a more simple and more complex variant within.

Details:

Theme: Under the Sea, Deep-sea Creatures [Describing Things]
Intended Grades: Elementary/Primary School
Levels: Two (G3-4 and G5-6)
Timing: 80-100 minutes, can be easily extended to a full morning if you use extra games, a jigsaw segment (have the students learn about one creature, memorise that information, then exchange their single piece of knowledge with another, then exchange their two pieces of knowledge with the two of another) or a song (Under the Sea from the Little Mermaid, or Yellow Submarine by the Beatles) or a word search or crossword or the like. If you do this, one option is to stick the song on first to preview, then teach it midway to break things up. You can split the interactive lecture component into thirds rather easily and splice in activities as a prerequisite for each "dive" scene providing logical space for two more periods. I've included a hypothetical 180 minute extendedlesson plan below too.
Prep Work Required: Printing of Make a Deep-Sea Creature worksheets. Printing and laminating of the Guess the Sea Creature Gameboards. You'll need one of these per student despite it being a pair game. It is worth reading up on some of the animals you may cover. I've included the scientific names for everything for ease of web searching. Familiarise yourself with the lesson flow before presenting so you can plan out what vocabulary to elicit or teach as you go. Personally, I fill the whiteboard with words and very basic drawings for reference as we go (Example: D scales, \| fins)

Resource List:

Powerpoint Presentation (PPT 2003)
Guess the Sea Creature Laminated x24 Gameboards (1 A4 per student, reusable, high level)
Guess the Sea Creature Laminated x12 Gameboards (1 A4 per student, reusable, low level)
Whiteboard Markers
Tissues to Erase Markings
Make a Deep-Sea Creature Individual Worksheets (1 A4 per student, high level)
Make a Deep-Sea Creature Shared Worksheets (1 A4 per student pair, low level)
Felt Pens and Coloured Pencils
Data Collection Spreadsheet. This is far from rigorous because I was rushed and this is just primary school level stuff but you may like to take a gander.

Lesson in Summary:
  • Brainstorm the sea with the class. What do they know? What animals do they know? Crabs? Octopuses? Fish? Sharks?
  • Cover vocabulary terms and existence vs. possession ("is" vs. "has"). Specifically cover the features of fish, squid and jellyfish.
  • Primary Activity: Guess the Sea Creature

• Teach the students about some unusual sea creatures via an interactive lecture*. Try to elicit descriptions from them in groups for rewards (camp dollars or stickers) and even guess the name of each creature. There are probably more animals than time so let the students pick which ones amuse or interest them. There are a few surprises.
  • Primary Activity: Create your own sea creature.
  • Secondary Activity: Present to the class.

Extended Lesson in Summary:
  • Brainstorm the sea with the class. What do they know? What animals do they know? Whales? Squid? Jellyfish? Eels?
  • Cover vocabulary terms and existence vs. possession ("is" vs. "has"). Specifically cover the features of fish, squid and jellyfish.
  • Primary Activity: Guess the Sea Creature
  • Teach the students about some unusual sea creatures in the shallows via an interactive lecture*. Try to elicit descriptions from them in groups for rewards (camp dollars or stickers) and even guess the name of each creature. There are probably more animals than time so let the students pick which ones amuse or interest them. There are a few surprises.
  • Primary Activity: Learn a Song (Under the Sea or Yellow Submarine).

• Continue the interactive lecture component on unusual sea creatures in the depths.
  • Primary Activity: Crossword or Jigsaw Activity (Information Sharing: Trim some articles from Simple English Wikipedia for the high level)
  • Secondary Activity: Word Search or Draw by Preposition (Example: Draw a big circle. Now draw 10 long, wavy lines under the circle. ... What is it? It's a jellyfish!)

• Continue the interactive lecture component on unusual sea creatures in the abyssal depths.
  • Primary Activity: Create your own sea creature.
  • Secondary Activity: Present to the class. Arrange the creatures in a fictional food chain by voting (request reasons why using comparatives) or even just sticking the student's fictional creature's names into Google Fight.

Note: The Guess the Sea Creature game for the lower level students may be sufficient or may need bumping up to the full x24 version. Personally, I demonstrate using the x12 even to the high level students as it saves time and the expansion is obvious. Remember though that what you find simple the students may not. Some of my students found challenge in handling double negatives in responses. For the upper level students, you can teach them logic operators (and, or) and have them play with them in their True or False? questions too. If the game is too short, another option is to have the students each choose two creatures and then issue True for Both, True for One and False for Both responses which turns it into a rather tricky logic puzzle.

* I've taken a bit of creative licensing here with the depth of 40 m to avoid splitting this on to two slides. It'd be easy to copy-pasta it and split it to a more correct 20 m and 100 m mind. See the spreadsheet for some depth ranges.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 02:55:25 PM by Paul »
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

Offline shellyoh2

• Explorer
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 04:32:21 PM »
I'm going to do a Who am I guessing game during this "Ocean Animals" lesson. Students must identify all 18 animals and then pick one of them for their riddle. They will cut and paste their animal onto their riddle worksheet.

Offline teacher25

• Explorer
The Ocean
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 05:54:21 PM »
I have to coteach an advanced special class; its once a week for 3 weeks, 2 hrs each class. It is offered to grades 5s and 6s so i actually teach it twice per week; once to the grade 5s and once to the 6s. Our focus is on the ocean, So I whipped up this PPT for the intro class. I'm worried some of the vocab is too advanced, but it will promote discussion. Anyone got any other good ocean resources for a grade 6 level class?

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment