April 24, 2014, 06:17:56 PM

Author Topic: Survival/Survivor Camp  (Read 9133 times)

Offline infogoddess

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Super Waygook
Survival/Survivor Camp
« on: November 10, 2010, 03:51:53 PM »
the best camp plan that I have ever seen is the Survivor Camp - I think I got this off EFL Classroom 2.0

« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 02:31:00 AM by complex303 »
"The Bhagavad Gita - that ancient Indian Yogic text - says that it is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection. So now I have started living my own life." Elizabeth Gilbert

Offline helen_jane_chin

• Explorer
Re: Winter camp ideas thread
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 12:35:58 PM »
Im all for trying the 'Camp survivor'
Just a little confused about the Scavenger Hunt at the beginning of each lesson. So each team has to find all 9 bags each or the 4 teams have to find 9 bags between them and what ever you find, your team will use for the tasks. For example if your team does not find the bag with paints and paint brushes they will not use them for the challenges?

Offline michael.james.122

• Adventurer
Survival Camp
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 01:56:04 PM »
Hey guys,

I've recently been taking a bunch of materials from another camp, and thought I'd contribute what I did for my previous camp for other folks to look at, improve upon and use.  I got original materials from somewhere on this site, but thought I'd make a new thread specifically for the camp.  Look at the original lesson plan, and then you can go from there.  The tokens were used to put on their posters that they made the first day to get the competitive spirit flowing.  If you have questions, just go ahead and ask.  I also made a workbook for the camp to keep the students busy.

• Adventurer
Re: Survivor Camp (Middle School)
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 02:00:34 PM »
Here's the workbook.  I started each day with an English song and fill in the blanks worksheets to get their English brains working.  I think the rest is probably self explanatory.

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 02:02:22 PM »
My teachers also wanted me to have powerpoints.  I didn't really use most of them, so there is probably a LOT of room for improvement, but here they are.

Offline tormod

• Explorer
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 02:57:40 PM »
Hey , I used this camp for my winter camp it was awesome , t ;D. from my experience the fruit battery doesn't work with just one lemon , you have to get a few lemons and connect them all up to make an LED light up .  Another suggestion as a task is to make a parachute for an egg , out of ; a plastic bag, chopsticks , string , tape and some rope. Drop it from a window and see whose will survive the landing

Offline cejacobs

• Explorer
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 03:48:10 PM »
Thanks so much! I've had this lesson plan tucked away and was eager to use it, and now I don't have to create the workbooks and Powerpoints from scratch! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

One question - which episode of Lost did you have them watch? Were you able to get Korean subtitles for it?

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 04:23:36 PM »
Thanks so much! I've had this lesson plan tucked away and was eager to use it, and now I don't have to create the workbooks and Powerpoints from scratch! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

One question - which episode of Lost did you have them watch? Were you able to get Korean subtitles for it?

No problem.  I watched the first episode of Lost, and I usually ended up using it as a reward at the end of class on the last period of the day.  Youtube has the episodes conviently broken up into ten minute segments, so we watched about an episode and a half or the 2 week camp.  I didn't bother getting Korean subtitles for it because I wanted to see what they could understand.  It was also interesting to see how difficult it was for them to understand Jin, the Korean American actor.  I know that the actor put a lot of effort into trying to erase his accent and making his Korean as natural as possible...doing multiple takes when the other actors thought it was unnecesarry.

Offline CellarDoor

• Fanatical Supporter!
  • Super Waygook
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 03:42:19 PM »
Oh, my... the budget breakdown scares me.  I hadn't thought about extra costs for the camp, but I better ask my school if there's anything resembling extra money for a budget for supplies, whether I end up doing a survivor topic or not.  I do appreciate these materials though, and I'll look at them in-depth as I plan my summer camp(s) this week.  Thanks for posting!

• Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 04:09:34 PM »
Oh, my... the budget breakdown scares me.  I hadn't thought about extra costs for the camp, but I better ask my school if there's anything resembling extra money for a budget for supplies, whether I end up doing a survivor topic or not.  I do appreciate these materials though, and I'll look at them in-depth as I plan my summer camp(s) this week.  Thanks for posting!

My school gave me a budget of 1,000,000 to use, and more or less told me I should try to use as much of it as possible.  You can definitely get by with next to nothing as long as you have the stuff for the kids to be artistic and make their books, and posters and things.

Offline ktull012

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 11:33:32 AM »
I was just browsing the paper model website. I'm not artistic at all, but it looks really difficult. Was it difficult for your students?

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 11:35:30 AM »
I was just browsing the paper model website. I'm not artistic at all, but it looks really difficult. Was it difficult for your students?

That was actually one of the things I didn't end up using.  It does look difficult, but my kids are good with that sort of thing.  I wish I could have tried it at least...maybe this summer I can get them to try something.

Offline hi_teachuh!

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 01:59:26 PM »
Wow! I love your camp! You put a lot of work into this, impressive!  ;D 

I want to use this for my summer camp. Would you mind posting the links that you used for the raft challenge? I like to use them, too.

Excellent idea!

• Adventurer
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 02:07:02 PM »
Wow! I love your camp! You put a lot of work into this, impressive!  ;D 

I want to use this for my summer camp. Would you mind posting the links that you used for the raft challenge? I like to use them, too.

Excellent idea!

Links to the videos I showed for the raft challenge should be in the Lesson Plan on the second day.  But just in case they're not:
Castaway:

Bear Grylls bamboo raft:

Bear Grylls signaling: 

Offline ToasterOven

• Adventurer
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 04:32:25 PM »
This is awesome. I love Survivor and now I can do a camp about it. Your lesson plans are incredibly detailed. VERY, VERY impressive. Hope my co-teacher approves, but regardless, thank you so much.

Offline korn25

• Explorer
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2011, 05:24:20 PM »
Thank you,
Probably the most active, creative camp I've seen on here. Greatly appreciated - awesome resources
친구

Offline ntlwng

• Adventurer
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 12:08:07 AM »
Really, this camp idea is awesome, the best one I've seen. I believe the kids will love it! Muchos Gracias! Chung mai kahm sahm nida! Thank you very muchee!
I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best. (Wilde)

Offline Swingapple

• Explorer
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2011, 06:37:27 PM »
Where did you find the nails for the fruit battery?  Are there local stores around Seoul that carry zinc and copper nails?

Offline waynehead

• Explorer
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 09:42:03 AM »
Thank you for posting this!  It looks really helpful.

• Adventurer
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2011, 10:38:07 AM »
Where did you find the nails for the fruit battery?  Are there local stores around Seoul that carry zinc and copper nails?

I ended up using copper from a wire that I found laying on one of the trash corners...tho I think there are copper pins (not really nails) at the local "hardware" store.  That's where I got the galvanized nails as well.  You'll see them around, they're about the size of a kimbab place, and the front door usually has a lot of hoses and tubing hanging around.

You could also check with your school's janitor.  At my school we have a little side room with all sorts of nails, screws, hinges and things.  Try that out.  I actually didn't end up doing the fruit battery, unfortunately, for various reasons.  Anyways, good luck.

Recent Lesson Plans

Cha Cha Slide Dance lesson by lianney
[Today at 06:10:56 PM]

American Sign Language: Alphabet by kjritchhart
[Today at 05:02:31 PM]

3rd Grade MS Boys Being Disruptive, and an Ineffectual C/T by Mr C
[Today at 05:00:14 PM]

TeacherReady by Jaunter
[Today at 04:54:16 PM]

Phonics Easter Egg Hunt by D.J.Wallace
[Today at 04:54:16 PM]

Buy/Sell/Trade