November 29, 2014, 02:47:28 AM

Author Topic: Survival/Survivor Camp  (Read 11194 times)

Offline infogoddess

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Super Waygook
Survival Camp
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2011, 03:14:43 PM »
We are planning a survivor camp for grades 3 through 6 for our district Camp.  Each session will have 50 students divided into three teams. This is an overnight camp at the camp in Suha which may or may not be helpful to some of you.  This is designed as series of challenges and vocabulary learning opportunities spread out over 2 and half days.  Many of the ideas would be applicable to a daily camp too. The basic themes are Nature, Knots, Insects, Transportation, Weather, Maps.  In addition we are teaching Totem Pole making, a camp song and a camp dance. Forgive me if I lifted some of your material and tweaked it for this camp. As I get my materials all sorted I'll post them here. 

For our camp song we are using Outdoors by Jason Mraz for 5th & 6th Grade and Summer Song from EFL Learning for 3rd & 4th Grade 

For our camp dance we are learning the Cha Cha Slide

Attached is the schedule and lyrics sheets for the songs
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 03:23:09 PM by infogoddess »
"The Bhagavad Gita - that ancient Indian Yogic text - says that it is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection. So now I have started living my own life." Elizabeth Gilbert

Offline infogoddess

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Super Waygook
Re: Survivor Camp (Elementary School)
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2011, 08:40:13 AM »
here is the first chunk from our book - lessons for organizing the teams (introductions) and teaching the songs - hope someone can use it
"The Bhagavad Gita - that ancient Indian Yogic text - says that it is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection. So now I have started living my own life." Elizabeth Gilbert

Offline infogoddess

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Super Waygook
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2011, 06:29:46 PM »
the next chunks deal with two of the break-out sessions: Tying Knots and Making Maps.  I have also included a section for writing in their journals and directions for playing the game Go Fish.  Other teachers are providing additional materials and when I get those files I will post them here.

Offline michelleh

• Adventurer
Re: Survivor Camp (Middle School)
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2011, 06:15:39 PM »
I just wanted to say thank you so much, OP! I've been doing this camp all week, and it's been working really well. My students liked the Survival Challenge lesson the best.

I used another few activities that other teachers might find useful.

First, I split my students into four groups from the beginning (red, blue, yellow, and green), and I asked each student to bring a coloured object that represents their team (e.g. one student on the green team brought a leaf, another brought a green notebook, etc.). Before class, I taped four A4 sheets in each corner of the room (starting point A, starting point B, starting point C, and starting point D). Then each student had to hide their object somewhere in the room. I split my class in two for this - green and yellow hid objects, while red and blue waited outside, then vice versa. Each student then had to write a set of directions on a small piece of paper, beginning from one of the starting points. Finally, I put the pieces of paper into a box, and each student had to choose one - yellow and green teams took papers that the red and blue teams had written, and vice versa. Following the directions they had to find the hidden objects. The first team with all students back in their seats with the coloured objects got two tokens. It's just an adaptation of the map writing challenge, and it worked quite well.

I had also asked them to bring blindfolds, so first I showed them the challenge from Survivor Season 21, Episode 4, which gives clear instructions for what I wanted them to do. One student acted as a caller, and their job was to direct each blindfolded member of their tribe in turn to collect an object somewhere in the room. The first tribe with all members back got two tokens. This worked well to the degree that everyone was speaking or listening for English, but it got a bit messy, and they weren't really speaking loudly enough. With four tribes, it was difficult to watch everyone, but no accidents thankfully.

Offline californiacurt

• Explorer
Re: Survivor Camp (Middle School)
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2011, 12:52:11 AM »
One of the things I like to do for our Survivor camp is to give the kids "buffs". Of course, these are really expensive ($20-$30 each). But I found "tubular bandanas", which is basically the same thing, for around $1.50 each on a site called Tan's Bandanas. The kids go nuts for them. Each tribe gets a different color. I just have to tell the kids that they cannot cover their face with them, it's not Ninja camp.

Offline infogoddess

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Super Waygook
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2011, 03:22:08 PM »
Here is the draft of the complete camp book and my lesson on making Totem Poles

Offline infogoddess

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Super Waygook
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2011, 03:26:00 PM »
and here is the template for making playing cards for my Go Fish game

Offline AnthonyTeacher

• Veteran
Survival Camp
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2011, 02:20:46 AM »
My middle school camp theme this summer was debate camp, interspersed with some RPGs (role playing games) like Werewolf, Alibi, and Survivor.  This morning, I experimented with a modified version of Desert Island Survivor and it was a big success.  One game can last one period or longer.  This game involved problem solving skills, cooperation, competition, and of course lots of English usage.  It is a work in progress, and input is welcome.  Here is the basic game idea:

Students are on a trip over to my English camp in Hawai'i when their plane crashes.  They are the only survivors.  They must swim to an island they can see off in the distance, about 1 km.  In the water with them are the contents of the plane (important items), but they can only take a few with them.

This is how the game begins.  I used the item cards from this version of the game: http://www.myenglishimages.com/LOST.html.  I printed and cut them out, and then dealt them equally and randomly based on the number of groups.  I left a few on the side as bonus items.

Students get their items.  They then must write the name and 2 uses on the back of their cards.  This gets them thinking in survivor mode.  I then had them read me their items and listed them on the board for everyone to see.

Before real game play begins, I give each group 1 chance to steal an item from another group.  Each item is worth a certain number of points (also from the site above) and they must roll that number or higher to succeed.  I used virtual dice from here: http://dice.virtuworld.net/.  You can choose the number of sides and number of dice for each roll.

After that, I wrote this on the board: 1 2 3 4 5 R 6 7 8 R 9 10 R.  Those are the number of days and R means a chance for rescue.

Now game play begins.  For each day, their is a situation and an action.  First, all groups choose a piece of paper from a hat (or in my case, crumbled paper from a cup).  These have different situations on it, such as (you are hungry, you are hurt, you are being hunted by natives, etc. - also the left over items).  After each group pulls their situation, they are to discuss what action they will take.  They can use their items, or attempt to steal another groups'.  When they make a decision, they tell me, and I add up the total points for their items.  They then roll the dice.  If they succeed they survive the day with no problems.  If they fail, they may lose their item (depending on how they use it, or how you narrate the story) or a team member may die.  Usually, for the first two days, I give them two chances to solve the problem.  If they fail the first day, then on the second day, they will have a new situation plus the old one.  They have to decide which one to do first.  After day 3, if they can't solve the problem, one member dies.

On a Rescue day, a boat is on the horizon.  Students need to decide how they can use their items to get its attention.  I add up their items, they roll the dice.  If they succeed they are rescued.  If not, they remain on the island.

If they are rescued they win.  If they stay on the island, their goal is for everyone in their group to stay alive until the next rescue, which they also may fail.  The came can go on until their is a single survivor, until a certain time, etc.  Winners can be groups with the most alive.  This game can be modified in so many ways.

My students really enjoyed this game today and I am excited to keep developing it.

What do you think?  Any ideas?

Offline sancho

• Explorer
Re: Desert Island Survivor - RPG Camp
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2011, 12:10:11 PM »
Sounds like a fun activity. I was just a bit confused about how you judged whether the group succeeded in solving their problems. You wrote that:

" After each group pulls their situation, they are to discuss what action they will take.  They can use their items, or attempt to steal another groups'.  When they make a decision, they tell me, and I add up the total points for their items.  They then roll the dice.  If they succeed they survive the day with no problems.  If they fail, they may lose their item (depending on how they use it, or how you narrate the story) or a team member may die."
Maybe I'm a bit slow but if could give a few more details or examples of how this works that would be great!
Thanks

Offline AnthonyTeacher

• Veteran
Re: Desert Island Survivor - RPG Camp
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2011, 12:23:24 PM »
Ah.  If their item total is 15, they have to roll a 15 or higher.
I also suggest alphabetizing the points list, and possibly changing points to make it easier to use.  I will be doing that in the future.

Offline lindsaydp1

• Veteran
Bear Grylls/survival lesson (3 hours)
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2011, 03:20:23 PM »
Annyong! Here's a lesson about Bear Grylls, highlighting the different kinds of terrain one could get lost in. The PPT is fairly comprehensive, and includes the 'gross eats' worksheet someone else put on here. The kids also have to make a survival kit list, present it, and then there is an hour-long episode of Man vs Wild at the end, with Korean subs.

It should take around 3 hours and keep them pretty absorbed. Use it or don't:) Quite high level, for high School, but could be adjusted for MS kids.

PS: The two URL's on the PPT are not embedded, so just copy them into a browser, old-school. The first video (it says Discovery) is embedded though so just click on it.

PPS: Remember to keep the WMV. file in the same folder, otherwise it won't play on the PPT.

Offline lindsaydp1

• Veteran
Re: Bear Grylls/survival lesson (3 hours)
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2011, 03:47:12 PM »
Here's the vocab list:) I notice people aren't downloading the wmv. file with the PPT. The video won't play if you don't, so take both!

Offline Tom_Waygook

• Veteran
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2011, 12:21:30 PM »
This is awesome! My kids love Bear Grylls as I show them youtube clips from time to time. Their reactions from the gross eating scenes are just priceless. I will use this for my 2nd grade middle school students during winter camp. Luckily, I also own a Bear Grylls survival kit (yeah I'm a dork like that) which I will show my students during this lesson. Thanks for the materials!

Offline PurpleMonkey

• Explorer
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2011, 04:22:22 PM »
Thank you so much for this.  I'm definitely gonna try it out with my middle school kids.  Thanks again :)

Offline jakub

• Adventurer
Re: Survival Camp
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2011, 10:10:22 AM »
Gracias Lindsay! With some re-ordering, this will come in handy today.

Offline Chemicalsun

• Explorer
Re: Survival/Survivor Camp
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2012, 04:50:05 PM »
Hi everyone. I taught a survival camp in winter. The overall theme was survival but i had two and a half days of zombie survival camp too.

Here is my week plan and ppts. Some activities worked really well, and some not so good, but overall it was good. 

Good stuff: tribal fashion, survival food, zombie scavenger hunt, map reading, sports lesson, egg drop and making a pinata.

Making is a pinata is great but i recommend making a pinata from paper bags with decorations, rather than papier mache. I hope this gives you some ideas. Also, not everything in the ppt's are my own work so thanks to everyone i stole from :)

Offline Chemicalsun

• Explorer
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2012, 05:05:54 PM »
Here are some worksheets and games I used for the lessons I posted above.

Offline lolly

• Explorer
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2012, 07:25:42 PM »
What is the budget for this camp? did your schools give you a budget?

Offline Chemicalsun

• Explorer
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2012, 11:42:12 AM »
For me (I work in elementary school in gwangju) our school got 700,000. Same as everyone else in Gwangju at least. Most of it will be spent on food for the students. It was plenty to buy everything I needed.  I think I requested about 200,000  worth of stuff, while my co teacher selected other stuff like paper and glue.

Offline rocketeerjoe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2013, 04:03:36 PM »
I did a shortened version of this lesson with my own questions and answers.

Videos I used are here:

catching a skunk

eating a spider

on a raft with sharks

eating a snake

5. http://youtu.be/QuB3kr3ckYE

eating a giant grub

eating lobster brains

How to stay alive: making a shelter, making a fire, making a compass

I modified an original PPT about Bear another poster made and added slides to answer the question worksheet. The only part I didn't show was from the first clip when he guts the skunk. Also, I loved the idea of the knot tying lesson someone made but my kids are a bit slow so I made it much easier for them with a step by step ppt.
"If you want to change your direction. If your time of life is at hand. Well, then don't be the rule, be the exception. A good place to start is to stand. Just put one foot in front of the other." - Rankin Bass Santa Claus

Recent Lesson Plans

General Ignorance QI Game by roosh
[Yesterday at 11:11:48 PM]

Euphemisms for defecating. by stevelee0000
[Yesterday at 06:28:27 PM]

Winter camp help. by Herlien_
[Yesterday at 05:37:16 PM]

Help! Need ideas for a gr 3/4 camp, on tough topics like poverty, war, ect by kellogsanne
[Yesterday at 05:31:53 PM]

League Of Legend UNO by adelle56
[Yesterday at 05:20:13 PM]

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment