July 26, 2014, 02:22:21 AM

Author Topic: China Visa with Less Than 6 Months on ARC??  (Read 21196 times)

Offline theaaronwile

• Explorer
China Visa with Less Than 6 Months on ARC??
« on: July 07, 2010, 10:49:38 AM »
Hi, I've been trying to round up some information on finding an English speaking travel agent in Yeosu to get my Chinese Visa processed so i can head to China for the 7th to 11th of August.  Also, i've heard there have been changes to the Chinese travel visa... anyone hear anything about this?

Thanks,
Aaron
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 12:40:14 PM by sepeterson211 »

Offline flee787

• Waygookin
Re: Travel Agents in yeosu, Changes to chinese visa?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 11:09:36 AM »
China did make some changes to the visa process about a week ago.

As of July 1st, 2010 you need Alien Registration Card (valid for at least next 6 months) to apply for the Chinese visa.

I got my visa from Soho Travel about a month ago before they changed the rules and they did an excellent job! See http://sohoholiday.com/soho/visa-information/ for more info

Offline Topher

• Explorer
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 11:47:04 AM »
Aaron,

I hear there is a semi-english speaking travel agent at the Lottemart in Yeochun.  Kinda over by the immigration place.  I gotta go over and get mine too (ironically for the same dates as you).

I'm planning on going tonight.  I'll let you know what I find out.

Offline theaaronwile

• Explorer
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 12:52:27 PM »
Alien Registration valid for at least 6 months... that's not good, mine'll be valid for.... another month max, when i renew it.  Hmmm Thanks Topher, i'm looking to head there Friday afternoon. Please let me know what you find out :)

Offline KALM

• Explorer
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 03:11:34 PM »
My boyfriend is in the same situation.  He is suppose to be going to China on July 22nd.  He was told that he cannot get a VISA for China while in Korea because he does not have enough time left on his ARC card, which is expired in September. 
So he has mailed his passport to the UK.  Made an appointment with the Chinese Embassy there.  It is in their hands now and he is waiting to see what happens. 

Offline claire

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 04:57:38 PM »
Hi all - can anyone tell me abit more about this??  I just booked tickets to China for August - and have never heard anything before about needing a visa!!  my alien registration card doesn't expire til next february - but it will be less than 6 months by the end of my trip (only by a few days!)

I am panicking now as I didn't know anything about this.  Please help if you know anything!

Thanks!

Offline petman17

• Waygookin
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 05:31:45 PM »
Also is it the same situation for getting a Chinese visa if you are not coming back to Korea? I was planning on flying to China and traveling on through South East Asia from there.

Offline Topher

• Explorer
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 12:07:08 AM »
Aaron,

I checked it out.  It's up on the third floor.  The chick spoke decent English.  It's 65,000 won for a visa to china.  You need the usual stuff.... passport, a passport photo, your ARC (not sure what you do in your case  :o, mine is still valid for 7 more months so i'm safe....)  She said it would take 4-5 days to process.  She told us the Chinese Embassy is in Gwangju.

Claire,

As far as I knew you needed a visa to go anywhere.  Especially in China.  Their government is a little....uh...different.... then most other countries.  Check out the link someone posted here for soho travel.  A travel agent can tell you better then me.... but I'm pretty sure you definitely need a visa for China. 

Offline hoa.nguy3n

• Explorer
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 10:51:40 AM »
Well for U.S. citizen, the fee for the visa is 190,000W and not 65,000W. Apparently, Chinese people hate Americans!

Offline toniyellow

• Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 12:43:18 PM »
The Chinese visa fee is based on reciprocity. The US offers visa free entry to 36 countries but not to China, so they gouge on cost as a response. Every time the cost of the visa for a Chinese person entering the US goes up, they jack the cost up for an American entering China. The last increase in price was June.

They don't have Americans, they hate the way the America government treats them.

Offline adamwatch

• Super Waygook
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 02:16:58 PM »
I am a citizen of the world why do I need a visa to travel on my own planet? So much for "Human rights".

Adam

Offline theaaronwile

• Explorer
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 04:41:08 PM »
Thanks Topher! I knew i needed a visa but i was wondering if there was any way around getting past the fact that my ARC is only valid for another 30 days...

Offline KALM

• Explorer
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 05:15:44 PM »
Aaron,

From what my boyfriend was told by three different travel agents is that there is NO way around it.  He tried and was rejected.  He is now trying through the Chinese embassy in his home country.  He will find out tomorrow if he got the visa or not.

Offline KALM

• Explorer
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 11:19:45 PM »
In case anyone is in the same situation with the Chinese visa and not having enough time on your ARC, my boyfriend sent his to the Chinese Embassy in his home country and they processed it there.  He got it and is now getting it mailed back and will be going to China as planned!

Just an option if you already bought the tickets or really want to go.

Offline adamwatch

• Super Waygook
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 06:47:32 PM »
Any idea why China has changed the rules on visas? Have foreigners been going to China from Korea and staying and teaching illegally?

Offline Topher

• Explorer
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2010, 10:55:25 AM »
Also, just a heads up for those who aren't aware.... If your from Canada or the UK (I think this applies to the UK...Maybe South Africa?? not sure), you'll have to go and get a re-entry visa from the office of Immigration Office.  I'm from Canada and my Korea visa only gave me a "S" entry level meaning I get to come into Korea one time.  You'll have to go get the "M" for multiple entries.  It costs 50,000won and took about 5 minutes. 

As far as I know Americans don't need to worry about it because their visas automatically get the "M" entry.  But check your Korea Visa to be sure.  I've heard some horror stories of people who traveled abroad for vacation and didn't change their S to a M and had a really hard time trying to get back into Korea.

Offline vossboss86

• Explorer
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2010, 11:25:50 AM »
Americans who work for a hagwon will have an 'M' visa.  If you work in a public school you get an 'S' visa.  If you go to the immigration office it takes about 2 minutes to get a multiple entry visa, same day service.  You can always go to the airport and get a single re-entry for 30,000KRW if you don't have time.

Offline KALM

• Explorer
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2010, 12:43:36 PM »
If you are from the UK and you want a Multi-entry visa it is free.

Offline katied1589

• Explorer
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2010, 12:57:07 PM »
Hey Aaron,
I went to the place in Lotte. It was 220,000krw. It took all of about 2.5 seconds to do and the girl there speaks a good amount of English. And if you don't have the right size picture, the photo place is directly next to the travel booth, and can take 1 for you and just give it to the agent. All she needed was the picture, ARC, passport, $$, and a phone #. Wicked easy.

Oh, and Re: the multi entry... all Americans should have the "M" status, not just hagwonners.

-Katie
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 01:00:25 PM by katied1589 »

Offline vossboss86

• Explorer
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2010, 01:10:35 PM »
Maybe so, but all my public school friends got an S entry and we changed it when we got here.  It was different from when I had my visa for the hagwon I worked in.  People at the consulate said that they don't issue multiple entries and I had to do it when I applied with immigration.  Not sure if it's a new policy but it changed when I changed jobs.

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment