August 02, 2014, 03:28:10 PM

Author Topic: After School Class - Grade 3/4 Materials  (Read 101271 times)

Offline gpwl6128

• Explorer
Re: After School Class Lessons/Resources Grade 3, 4, 5, 6
« Reply #140 on: July 11, 2012, 09:47:34 PM »
This would be fun when learning about body parts

Online annieg314

• Explorer
« Reply #141 on: July 23, 2012, 11:19:33 AM »
I created this easy hotseat game.  You can play in teams, and one student sits with his/her back to the screen and has 2 minutes to guess as many words as possible. The other students give clues in english. I take points away for when they use korean!!!!

Offline Dooley

• Explorer
« Reply #142 on: July 23, 2012, 06:19:48 PM »
Teaching the cha cha slide is always a fun active lesson, plus if they ever attend an american wedding one day they will be all set. I made this PPT to teach the steps then play the MV so they can dance along.
http://youtu.be/wZv62ShoStY

Offline acbarajas1

• Waygookin
« Reply #143 on: July 23, 2012, 11:08:54 PM »
Here's a clapping game I did with some low level fifth graders, they were still learning the alphabet so this was a fun way of moving around with them

Offline keepemgreen

• Adventurer
Re: After School Class - Grade 3/4 Materials
« Reply #144 on: August 27, 2012, 11:44:31 AM »
Spongebob Bomb Game for Super Phonics Book 2. Covers simple 3-letter words like cap, win, kid, pop, sun, and jet. This is review for the whole of book 2.

My students are grades 1 I think, but they are high level so I'm sure it will work for some low level grade 3's (it would be fine for some of hte 3rd graders in my after school class before they left). Plus I can't find a thread for grades 1 and 2 after school class.

Offline sweetjane2011

• Super Waygook
« Reply #145 on: September 14, 2012, 04:18:53 PM »
Here's a lesson I did a lesson about pizza with my grade 3&4 after school class. There's a song and a couple of worksheets too. My kids LOVED this song. Now whenever they see me around school, they start singing 'I am a pizza...!' :laugh:

1. Motivation video: Top 5 US pizza places: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0nsOzyo1hw&feature=youtu.be
2. Pizza song & PPT (link to the song is in the PPT)
3. Worksheets.

You many need your co-teacher to explain some of the words, and there's a PPT in Korean as well. But if you teach solo, you could just skip the PPT as the worksheet has the lyrics to the pizza song in Korean also. I showed the motivation vid first, then played the pizza song a couple of times. Then, we did the worksheets. For the 1st worksheet, students match the pictures to the words, and for the second they listen to the pizza song again and fill in the lyrics.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 04:27:35 PM by sweetjane2011 »

Offline Laci_teacher

• Veteran
« Reply #146 on: April 02, 2013, 05:59:21 PM »
I am following the 3rd grade curriculum because they are so low level and my 4th graders can always use the practice. I bought a textbook at Emart and use the worksheets from there.

My first lesson series: It's a _____.
desk, chair, television, house, animals, colors, etc.

The third PPT is the puzzle worksheet
(you'll have to cut it up and put them in envelopes, I just cut each square into four smaller sqaures)
And the fourth explains the activity.
meow

Offline bhous

• Explorer
« Reply #147 on: April 03, 2013, 01:16:58 AM »
Being a new teacher, I am trying to figure out what activities to teach my kids.
So far word searches have been good and there are a lot of online word search generators.

Here is what i made for an after school class with 3rd and 4th graders.

Offline Natz

• Veteran
« Reply #148 on: June 17, 2013, 06:18:37 PM »
Here are some of my materials and credit to some original posters. I have tweaked it and also made my own and added extra worksheets. Great for encouraging speaking!

1. Likes and dislikes.
2. Opposites ppt and wordsearch
3. Winning the lottery

Offline bassooooon1

• Explorer
« Reply #149 on: July 02, 2013, 03:07:31 PM »
I did a music day using twinkle twinkle and the solfege hand symbols to get a nice kinetic twist in there.  I mixed it with the ABC Song and ended it with a challenge for the students.
The challenge:
Write the ABC Song and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star on the board (line by line)
Choose a student to start.  This student chooses whatever song they'd like to start with and says only the first line.  The next student continues using the next line of the next song (determined by you).  The next student continues using the third line of the next song and so on and so forth.  If a student says the wrong line (or a line from the wrong song), the class starts over.  When they finished, I gave them a prize.

Offline heshen24

• Explorer
« Reply #150 on: July 18, 2013, 06:35:00 PM »
I did superheroes with my afterschool class and found/made these simple worksheet for them to fill out/color after the lesson about colors, clothing, superhero specific clothing, Marvel superheroes and superpower types was completed.

I broke this up into 2 class sessions: Session #1 (attachment 2) - Clothing and color review (just to make sure everyone is on the same page), and Session #2 (attachment 1) - Superheroes, costume items and special powers.

Here are the 2 worksheets I used for each session. Encourage the kiddos to go wild on the design end of things because it gets them more engaged in the lesson and they come up with some really fun stuff! Good for wall galleries, if you have the space in your classroom.

Offline medievalex

• Explorer
« Reply #151 on: July 18, 2013, 08:18:39 PM »
Here's a three lesson run for 3/4 grade that adds a lot of body parts to the start body part lesson.

I'm using them for summer camp, but they would work for a 3/4 grade afterschool class as well.

Offline carmenmayjohannie

• Explorer
« Reply #152 on: August 24, 2013, 12:19:03 AM »
You have saved my life, what a great help
thank you so much

Offline arohakorea

• Explorer
« Reply #153 on: November 06, 2013, 11:29:14 AM »
Sports

Language:
What are you going to do?
     I'm going to play/go........
What do you have?
     I have a ........... and a .............

Thanks to other posters for templates!

Offline claireteacheskids3000

• Adventurer
« Reply #154 on: December 09, 2013, 01:42:00 PM »
Here's a short after school lesson for learning the seasons. First I wrote each season on the board and drew things related to them. The class called out words that went with each season (example: "sunny" for summer, "leaves" for fall). They like it when I draw pictures with the words :)

Next, I used the ppt for a Guess the Season hidden picture game (thanks to whoever made the template!). At the end of the ppt I added a chart that the students used to decode words I wrote on the board. 

Last, to introduce my holiday lesson for next time, I showed this Tom and Jerry video (link is in the ppt) and had a short quiz about the clip after. I asked questions about the season while they watched. Enjoy! 

Offline ryguyi87

• Adventurer
« Reply #155 on: December 20, 2013, 04:53:11 PM »
This semester I had after school classes on Thursday and Friday. Two on each day. One group was 3/4 graders and the other group was 5/6 graders. I often had a hard time with it, but this site helped me out a ton. So, this is my first post and I'm going to (or at least try to) attach a bunch of stuff I used. Some of it I'm explaining as ideas for you rather than attaching, because it's just recycled stuff from this website.

1. "Best game" = students in teams compete in categories like "I am fastest" or "I am tallest" and the ppt is an intro to vocabulary.
2. "Memory game" = on this site, kids stare at a picture then answer a surprise question.
3. Pixar lesson = watch video, answer worksheets, bomb game, found on this site.
4. Transportation introduction ppt lesson, vocabulary, Avengers-themed bomb game
5. "Body Pose" = review parts of body, then do a game like hot seat where a certain number of students face away from the television while the rest of the class explains to them how they should pose to match the picture on the tv screen.
6. Instruments & Music genres
7. Jenga bomb game = kids answer questions then, instead of just getting points they are told how many bricks to remove from the tower. Succeed and you get those points, and if the tower falls over, your team loses all your points.
8. Basketball bomb game = similar to Jenga bomb game but you toss a paper ball into waste basket. You are given different numbers of balls/chances and scoring in the waste basket is 5 points.
9. Describing people lesson = "she has blue eyes" etc, and worksheet where you draw your friend (ripped off of waygook)
10. Space ppt and worksheet (planets, solar system)
11. "Sentence pong" = ripped off of waygook, like beer pong without beer. Print out strips of paper with sentences, they get a ball in a cup and they must read the sentence to remove it from the table. (11.21 "Reading" ppt is for this to practice before doing the game).
12. Halloween costumes ppt and worksheet
13. Mr. Bean vocabulary ppt & watch an episode & answer questions
14. Same as #13 with Pixar videos
15. Vocab game = ppt to review vocabulary. Then, I had 2 small printouts of each word. 2 teams compete. 1 student from each team is given a word to react to. Then, I shout the word and they must race to grab a ball in the middle of the room. If they grab the ball and get back to their wall, they get a point. If the student who didn't grab the ball is able to tag them before they get back to the wall, however, the student who did the tagging gets the point.
16. Intro ppt on Aliens/monsters, different ways to describe them, then students create their own alien on poster boards. A few sentences in English to describe their aliens.
17. Thanksgiving info ppt (ripped off of waygook) and "Shuffle cup" bomb game (ripped off of waygook - like a bomb game, but to get the points they want they must follow a shifty cup with their eyes).
18. Hand turkeys (5 fingers = write 5 things you're grateful for).
19. Movie genres
20. Christmas vocabulary ppt and then show Mr. Bean Christmas episode.

Offline chy5b

• Explorer
« Reply #156 on: December 28, 2013, 04:33:27 PM »
This was really helpful in finding material for my 3rd/4th grade winter camp.  Thanks everyone!

Offline Kingeudey

• Veteran
Re: After school lesson plans
« Reply #157 on: June 23, 2014, 04:24:34 PM »
After school lessons 1-9 are in the previous pages.

Lesson 10 - Verbs

I really want to teach my after school class the basics of grammar so Iím starting with verbs.

The worksheets are at the bottom of the lesson plan.

I love the format, Gabrielle, but you got a LOT of your verbs incorrect on the circle portion of the slideshow, sorry to inform you.

Recent Lesson Plans

90 Min After School class - out of ideas by BTeacher
[Today at 12:33:06 PM]

English Detective Camp (4th or 5th grade) by smalltowngal
[Yesterday at 09:17:24 PM]

Pen Pals for my students 7th and 8th grade by toddsqui
[Yesterday at 06:25:56 PM]

Current Events Camp by ThomasKorea
[Yesterday at 12:50:08 PM]

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment