July 23, 2014, 12:23:31 AM

Author Topic: "Layoffs, Layoffs, Everywhere You Look There Are Layoffs"  (Read 1619 times)

Offline unknownx

• Veteran
"Layoffs, Layoffs, Everywhere You Look There Are Layoffs"
« on: July 24, 2011, 06:50:48 PM »
http://www.zerohedge.com/article/layoffs-layoffs-everywhere-you-look-there-are-layoffs

"This summer the pace of layoffs seems to be accelerating all over the nation.  Just check out what has been happening over the past few weeks....

-Lockheed Martin has made "voluntary layoff offers" to 6,500 employees.

-Detroit is losing even more jobs. American Axle & Manufacturing Holdings has told the remaining 300 workers at its manufacturing facility in Detroit that their jobs will be ending in early 2012.

-Layoff notices have been sent to 519 employees of Milwaukee Public Schools, and more than 400 open positions are going to go unfilled.

-The Gap has announced that up to 200 stores will be closed over the next two years.

-Cisco has announced plans to lay off 9 percent of their total workforce.

-Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel says that 625 city employees will be losing their jobs as a result of cutbacks.

-Pharmaceutical giant Merck recently dumped 51 workers from an office in Raleigh, North Carolina.

-Perkins has revealed that they will be closing 58 restaurants.

-This week, Goldman Sachs announced that they will be eliminating 1,000 jobs.

-Cracker Barrel is rapidly reducing staff at its headquarters.

-Telecommunications and web marketing firm Crexendo has announced that it will be laying off about 30 percent of its workforce.

-Borders has announced that they will be shutting down their remaining 399 stores and that 10,700 employees will lose their jobs.

-Now that the space shuttle program has ended, thousands of NASA employees will be losing their jobs.

There are hundreds of more examples of recent layoffs and job losses. One website that tracks these layoffs daily is Daily Job Cuts.  It is pretty sad when there are entire websites that are devoted to chronicling how fast our economy is bleeding jobs. "

^Can't wait to go job hunting when I get back....

Offline west coast tatterdemalion

• Veteran
Re: "Layoffs, Layoffs, Everywhere You Look There Are Layoffs"
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 07:44:49 PM »
Yeah, and it is probably going to get worse. Do you figure that you'll just ride it out...LOL. News for you, unless you plan to spend the rest of your life dealing with Korea, then you'll have to go back sometime.  But if you want to use these examples to justify staying in Korea, that's cool.

Offline naturegirl321

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 02:48:57 AM »
Or .. . go to another country!  Hello Middle East!
The best TEFL jobs in Korea on TEFL Tips.
Tender Embrace Birthing: childbirth classes, doulas, breastfeeding support, and info about giving birth in Korea

MTBman

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 12:20:19 AM »
The US job situation has been getting worse for a lot longer than just a few weeks.  It is going to take a lot more than what our politicians are doing to get the US out of the hole it is in. 

If you're thinking of trying to weather the storm here, good luck with all the GEPIK layoffs coming.  Korea is not the only place to teach English.  Some of us are more vested in Korea, so we stay. 

If you want to try to teach in Europe, get a CELTA.  If you want to go another asian country, try China or Vietnam.  If you want to still stay in Korea, think about getting either a university job or a job in a hagwon.  If you want to still make a career out of TESOL go back to school and get a second degree in Education, or your master's, or even a PhD.   

I think you just have to ask the right question and someone on this board, or another board, will have something which will help direct you.  Good luck.

MTBman

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 12:24:12 AM »
I forgot to add something else; Your Original Post had a distinctly pessimistic, my cup is half empty, feeling about it.  Try to be a little more positive than that.  The sky isn't falling on many EFLers yet, even though the news out of Gyeonggi do is not very cheerful for some.  Good luck to you.

Offline ahmp0910

• Explorer
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 12:49:40 AM »
GEPIK layoffs? coming? Who or where did you hear this from?

Just curious.

MTBman

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 10:04:06 AM »
Regarding GEPIK layoffs, lif you ook further down in the list of topics you will see the post, "Government Slashes Budget for All Teachers."  That thread was locked down by the mods.  There you can read about the apparent political turmoil swirling around and within the GEPIK program to your hearts content.

Offline e72882

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 05:01:09 PM »
You know I'm always being told that I should go with Public Schools and GEPIK or EPIk contracts because they are guaranteed and blah, blah, blah and etc., etc.. Then again I'm always seeing cuts being made to government budgets for public schools. I have been here in Korea for almost two years (December 2009) and I have worked at just as many schools in that time. Unfortunately both of my schools closed, both were hagwons and I will be moving on to my third and hopefully final school in less than a month. I mean final in that I plan to work here for at least another two years, but I don't want to be moving on to my fourth school in less than a year. Both of my school's closed down for financial reasons and apparently my new school has been around for almost 20 years and has 5 foreign teachers employed and has a stable student population so I'm none too worried about this school.

Recent Lesson Plans

Superhero Camp by damof
[Yesterday at 09:50:31 PM]

Honeycomb Ver2 Vocab game by jasontsing
[Yesterday at 08:04:33 PM]

Last One Standing - Music Game by Kaleidos
[Yesterday at 07:44:56 PM]

After School Class - Story-telling game by Artisis
[Yesterday at 06:45:25 PM]

I can't take it anymore. by msmartin30691
[Yesterday at 06:00:30 PM]

Buy/Sell/Trade