With all the classes that I've had canceled over the past couple of weeks, yesterday I started in on a lesson only to find out that this was one of the few classes in the school that had already had it.
All things considered, this went over reasonably well. I would put this in a catagory of "I have a class WHEN?!" or as something to have on hand for when a lesson goes down in flames. This is one of those things that can be modified up or down incredibly easily.
1. write the alphabet in columns on the board.
2. Pass out a sheet of paper to groups. (my tables seat 6, so that's what I went with. Fewer would be good, too.)
3. Have students write the alphabet on their paper
4. solicit words that start with "a", "b", & "c"
5. Have them do all the letters.
6. Ask for volunteers to give answers, write words on the board.
+ Use only words related to a given subject (for example, Winter)
+ sentences that start with that letter
+ points to teams that have words that are different from the other teams.