August 31, 2014, 03:11:25 AM

Author Topic: Share your favourite Youtube videos or pics for class starters  (Read 17186 times)

Offline canadianont

• Adventurer
Re: Share your favourite Youtube videos or pics for class starters
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2011, 12:39:52 PM »

Offline kissdisap

• Veteran
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2011, 12:47:05 PM »
Going to try out this video in class today.  They won't be able to read all of the words, but hopefully it'll work just as well as a 'silent' storyline to see if they can tell me what's happening in the video.

Edit: Video worked well with a hangman starter.  Stopped the video before it showed the Pantene logo, but had the kids guess what the commercial was for.  "Tape" was my favorite among the answers. =)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 01:44:52 PM by kissdisap »

Offline mgarza

• Explorer
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2011, 01:19:30 PM »

Offline gumgei305

• Explorer
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2011, 11:43:51 AM »
i have middle school boys...and these have all worked really well:

i hope you all have seen this, cuz this one definitely shuts them up at the beginning of class. [Dancing hands pa pamericano (baile de manos)]

just the hype of this one got them interested: asked them who would win? then had a lesson where they had to create a 2 animal creature and they had battles to see which one would win in a fight. i'd pick 2 students who would state their strengths and weaknesses and then everyone else would vote. (shark vs. dog)

they also like this kid: (playing indiana jones on guitar)

that wingsuit video of those crazy Norwegians worked liked a charm too. 

Offline jryanaustin

• Adventurer
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2011, 11:49:12 AM »
My 1st and 2nd grader LOVED this video. They'd all hide behind the teachers desk and pop-out while they were singing along. It was pretty cute.

Offline ryanstephen7

• Explorer
Random class warmer Youtube video's
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2011, 08:21:42 PM »
Hey guys,

So i got in the habbit of showing my grd5 elementary kids a cool random video at the start of every lesson once a week and now they and my coteacher have come to expect me to deliver a fun, entertaining random youtube video before we start the lesson. Problem is, i've kinda run out of fresh idea's so... i was wondering if anyone had some good, high definition/good quality fun, entertaining video's to open up tomorrows lesson!

Thanks a million,
Ryan

Offline fakeplastiktree

• Explorer
Videos that have worked well with my middle school students
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2011, 01:00:01 PM »
I often use (usually fairly short) videos at the end of my classes as filler. Here are some that have gone over well with my students:

"David After Dentist (with English subtitles)" (1:59) - http://www.subply.com/en/Video/David+After+Dentist/2144ca0b-c9db-4609-aab1-ba429008ef98/eng
"Never Say No to Panda" (2:46) -
"Rain vs. Colbert Dance-off" (3:33) - http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/156555/may-05-2008/rain-dance-off
"Signs" (11:30) -

Music Videos
OK Go - This Too Shall Pass 
OK Go - Here It Goes Again 
Foo Fighters - Learn to Fly 

Anyone have any others to recommend?

Offline odie

• Veteran
Re: Videos that have worked well with my middle school students
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2011, 01:07:24 PM »
My students loved  these:

Oren Lavie's Her Morning Elegance:

and

Susan Boyle's debut:
Seoul.AngloINFO.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose.

Offline gookduballstar

• Explorer
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2011, 01:38:05 PM »
I'm at an all girls middle school. With exams just completed, I was told this week I can just do pop songs with my kids. I tried Far East Movement's "Rocketeer" with a 3rd grade class and they liked the song. There are some slow and repetitive parts to the song that are easy, but there were also a few faster parts that were too hard for my kids (most are low level). I've since had a 1st grade and 2nd grade class and decided to show Bruno Mars' "Just the way you are." This video was ace. My girls really really liked it. There are a few faster parts here too, but the words aren't as difficult. Just spent more time on the faster sections. My first graders did pretty well once we got to the part of trying to sing along. My 2nd graders really loved it, and even after the 2nd go at it, they pretty much killed it. I think I'll stick with Bruno for my 3rd graders too. It may be easy for some, but I think they can understand the concept of this love song over Rocketeer.

The kids were sad at first when I said we weren't just watching a movie, but they ended up loving the song.

Offline fakeplastiktree

• Explorer
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2011, 02:31:07 PM »
Oh, I forgot about Katy Perry... my students LOVE this one (but, keep in mind, she does quite clearly say "bitch" near the beginning of the song)

Offline creeper1

• Veteran
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2011, 02:46:49 PM »
BTW there is a clean version of Katy Perry's song.

This video is quite entertaining. Billy talks about his hobbies etc. It could be possible to integrate it into a healthy lifestyle lesson.

Offline annab

• Explorer
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2011, 03:48:54 PM »
Here is a similar thread: http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,1898.0.html

Here's a favorite of mine-

Offline airdrieboy1984

• Adventurer
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2011, 01:14:11 AM »
I use short videos all the time. I rarely need to use them as a filler at the end, I use them during the 10 minute changeover between classes. It works wonders in the morning if the class are sleepy or after lunch when they are wild, it wakes them up if tired or focuses there attention to the smart-board if they are going wild. It means I have their attention for the lesson commencing. 2 month on, I have a group of kids who now use the english room to relax at lunchtimes, they have access to my external HDD to watch these short clips, they can use the computers to surf the web, or generally chill out with mates. Only rule is... they must speak english.

Check out Remi Gaillard clips on youtube, my middle school boys love his videos.

Offline Pierogi

• Explorer
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2011, 02:48:26 PM »
I would never show a video as just something to watch, but when I do show videos, I pick them apart, and make them talk about them:

Very successful video I have shown have been:

Offline Kim mi song

• Explorer
Re: Random class warmer Youtube video's
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2011, 12:42:55 PM »
kind of cheesy, but my students can't seem to get enough of this....

Offline Citrus

• Explorer
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2011, 06:58:14 PM »
These are amazing videos, but what do you DO with them afterwards?  Has anyone used them with adults or university students?  I've tried using TV shows with scripts, but get stuck after making discussion questions.

Offline npanella

• Explorer
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2011, 07:11:50 PM »
Very funny videos! I am having a really hard time finding videos relevant to the class topics tho. My middle school 3rd graders are getting bored with the regular class and I want to grab their attention with some relevant videos.

Offline beegriffy

• Adventurer
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2011, 09:36:48 PM »
Simon's cat is perfect for elementary school children. It's simple and hilarious. The kids love it. There are at least 15 videos, and they generally do not have any speaking in them. They are great for asking questions..."What is Simon saying?" "What is the cat doing?" etc.
http://www.youtube.com/user/simonscat?blend=1&ob=5

Offline pcunit2009

• Veteran
Best Youtube clips to show students
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2011, 02:08:59 PM »

Just saw a similar thread which made me come up with this idea, but that was for movies. This is for youtube clips.

I thought it would be worthwhile to share experiences on youtube clips.

So, there's 5 minutes of class remaining? (Or 5 minutes at the start even?) They've studied hard and covered everything you were supposed to do with them. They want you to show them a cool video that will get lots of 'wooahhs' and 'wows' and laughs. What do you show them?

From my experience, off the top of my head.

Hits

Where the Hell is Matt
Animal Fight Club
Numerous music videos (e.g. Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus)
Human Planet and Planet Earth trailer

Misses

Christian The Lion

What are your experiences?
Shameless self-promotion - http://plummerandchinsadventure.com/

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment