December 21, 2014, 10:03:44 PM

Author Topic: Buying a car in Korea  (Read 9317 times)

Offline honeymooners

• Veteran
Buying a car in Korea
« on: October 11, 2010, 09:56:42 AM »
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on the process of buying a car over here. I know I need to swap my license for a Korean one and insurance is compulsary, but how about other stuff like what paperwork I need to do when I buy one? Does anyone know what papers I have to get from the seller in order to register it in my name?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Charlie

Offline guy_ratus

• Explorer
Re: Car advice
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 01:36:18 PM »
Ask your coteacher for help; mine helped me get my car in May. I got it from a car dealership, not a private seller.
Paperwork was surprisingly minimal, I didn't even get a Korean license (maybe that's illegal, though it didn't stop them from giving me the rego papers), just had to show them my home license and ARC.
Maybe you have to fill in a few forms, but that's about it I think.

Offline suzettec

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 03:07:00 PM »
I bought my car from a private seller and he paid to get the car transferred.  I paid for the registration, car (of course), and insurance for a year.

As far as the license... if you have an international drivers license you don't have to get a Korean one.  If you get a Korean one you will have to give them your state license when you go to be it, but when you leave for home you can go and get it back no problem.  They keep it on  fill.

You should also compare the prices by using the ENCAR website.  I did this and it help me out a lot cause then I had a very good idea of what kind of car was going for.

Hope this helps.

Offline plasticdrummer

• Explorer
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 03:30:45 PM »
If you are going to trade your license for a korean one, you've got to get it notarized by your embassy (at least for US citizens). They're really strict on this. It costs about $35 to get it notarized.

Offline honeymooners

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 06:43:40 PM »
Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately I didn't get an international license before I left the UK as I wasn't expecting to need a car over here. It looks like I need to post my lisence off to the British embassy in Seoul to get it authorised then get a korean one. Annoyingly it looks like I can legally buy and register a car, just not drive it!

Thanks again, Charlie

siamagoo

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 05:00:01 PM »
Anyone with a car: How much do you pay for insurance? I'm told I'll pay about 800$ a year because I'm young. Is this normal?

Offline Koreak

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 05:34:25 PM »
I have heard about 1 000 000 if you're under a certain age.  It drops considerably if you're older.

Offline guy_ratus

• Explorer
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 06:09:36 PM »
yeah i pay close to 900,000KRW a year on insurance! As I recall, if you're over 26 it becomes a lot cheaper.

siamagoo

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 06:14:30 PM »
Now I'm hearing 1600$ a year! But that's for accident insurance. To guy_ratus: do you have accident insurance or just liability insurance?

Offline Koradian

• Fanatical Supporter!
  • Super Waygook
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 11:14:00 PM »
If you buy your car from a dealership they will help you register it so it may be driven legally off the lot. Not too sure about private sales.

I am 31 and pay 395,000w in insurance every year.

Make sure you have a Korean to help you out.... otherwise you may be taken advantage of.

Offline guy_ratus

• Explorer
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 12:55:12 PM »
Now I'm hearing 1600$ a year! But that's for accident insurance. To guy_ratus: do you have accident insurance or just liability insurance?

Sorry, I'm not sure, it's the basic one I think. $1600 sounds ridiculous. You could buy another car for that amount! Agree with Koradian - when you buy, go with your co-teacher if you have one.

Offline michin_migukin

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 01:08:49 PM »
Skip the car, get a motorcycle instead. 600,000-a mil and no insurance
"우정이란 오줌을 지리는 것 같다. 다 보일 수 있지만 오직 우리만 진짜 따뜻함을 느낄 수 있다" ('Friendship is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its true warmth.')

Offline be the ball

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 01:18:14 PM »

And when you die on that motorcycle, one more job opening for the rest of us  :P

Offline Janitor

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Expert Waygook
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 01:32:26 PM »

And when you die on that motorcycle, one more job opening for the rest of us  :P

LOL I have been riding a motorcycle here for 7 years. I have seen far more fatal car crashes here than I have with motorcycles. Yes it is far more likely that you may get injured but ridden well and you are less likely to get into trouble.

I also have insurance for my motorcycle with is about 250,000 a year. The only down sides are rain and cold. Other than that you can ride it year round.

siamagoo

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2010, 01:52:58 PM »
Alas, it seems that insurance is too much for me to stomach. So no car.

Thank you so much for all your replies.  They were really, really helpful.

Time to look into motorcycles!

Offline kaymac

• Super Waygook
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2010, 02:04:29 PM »
Yeah i'd be afraid to get a car in Korea without the accident insurance, way too many accidents on the roads here. Just get a bike and drive very carefully. Like more defensive than you'd ever imagine being back home, and you'll be fine. And stay off the roads when they're wet. I dropped my bike once, and it was due to the combo of a wet painted road, another driver stopping suddenly etc. Had I kept to my usual rule of not driving on wet roads, wouldn't have dropped it. And of course, it goes without saying, wear your helmet! :D

Offline jonpurdy

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2010, 02:07:53 PM »
Ask your coteacher for help; mine helped me get my car in May. I got it from a car dealership, not a private seller.
Paperwork was surprisingly minimal, I didn't even get a Korean license (maybe that's illegal, though it didn't stop them from giving me the rego papers), just had to show them my home license and ARC.
Maybe you have to fill in a few forms, but that's about it I think.

Keep in mind that even if you have insurance, not having a legal license invalidates it.

OP, I paid 600,000 for a year for my '98 Sonata. I'm 26 Western age. Buying from a dealer is the easiest since they handle all the paperwork. If you buy privately make sure to go with a Korean co-teacher or friend; it'll be pretty difficult to do on your own.

If you go the motorcycle route instead, I pay 300,000 a year for my Hyosung GT250R. But you need to do a road test to get your moto licence. And make sure to ride as loudly as possible to prevent people from cutting you off or doing other stupid things.

Offline ano33

• Adventurer
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2010, 02:11:09 PM »
@ Janitor - have you personally seen fatal car crashes in Korea as you claim?

Offline Janitor

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Expert Waygook
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2010, 02:29:05 PM »
@ Janitor - have you personally seen fatal car crashes in Korea as you claim?

Yes about 2 nasty ones and a numerous roll overs and other crashes that you know someone at least spent some time in the hospital. The worst one was just outside of Daegu. A white Korando blew past me (I was in a car at the time) on the shoulder doing at least 150+ km/h. Traffic was moving slow because of the construction and he blew past us like we were standing still. Later I saw the loose gravel and skid marks as the driver hit it and was not able to stop. Ahead was a wall of K-rail to block the lane under construction which past that k-rail wall was nothing but a pit. He hit the wall pretty much head on and fast enough to flip the vehicle its nose and thus send it into the pit/ roadside gully. By the that I past it people were trying to get in to the wreckage. There was not much left of the vehicle.

Sorry to get off topic, but that memory still haunts me.

Offline DevilMogun

• Super Waygook
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2010, 02:34:45 PM »
Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately I didn't get an international license before I left the UK as I wasn't expecting to need a car over here. It looks like I need to post my lisence off to the British embassy in Seoul to get it authorised then get a korean one. Annoyingly it looks like I can legally buy and register a car, just not drive it!

Thanks again, Charlie

I think I paid around 400,000 for a years insurance but I'm over 40. 

As for the driving licence thing, apparently the international one isn't valid if you're living here - it's intended for people on 3-month visas, so if you have a work permit you need a Korean licence. 

You need to get your signature notarised which means actually being there at the Embassy with your licence, not just popping it in the post. 

For British citizens at least, that means a trip to Seoul or a visit to the 'Honorary Consulate in Busan' which is actually a bloke who pops into Busan on Wednesday afternoons to do his Embassy thing.  For me that means a 2.5 hour ride to Busan, back to Masan to the driving authority centre and, 100,000 poorer, finally getting my Korean licence.  It's another annoying rule, supposedly a response to the thousands of criminal immigrants who are driving around with forged licences. 
"She lacks the indefinable charm of weakness" Oscar Wilde

Recent Lesson Plans

Story Time by grhacia_06
[Today at 09:26:01 PM]

Absent/apathetic co-teacher for camp by ThatFrenchGuy
[Today at 08:44:30 PM]

What Was Your Worst Class of the Year Like? by stemarty
[Today at 07:05:15 PM]

Making 3D snowflakes by Thomas Mc
[Yesterday at 02:23:00 PM]

How the grinch stole christmas 1966 by kitster1
[Yesterday at 10:50:32 AM]