November 23, 2014, 07:37:04 PM

Author Topic: Looking for Korean Subtitles for HBO programming  (Read 1703 times)

Offline Hooplehead

• Adventurer
Looking for Korean Subtitles for HBO programming
« on: September 06, 2011, 10:49:28 PM »
Hi,

Teaching a media class, and I'd like to show an episode of The Sopranos, Treme, and The Wire (as examples of various American dialects), but I'm unable to find Korean subtitles for any of these shows in Google.  I've already made lessons, but feel it would be --slightly-- too difficult without Korean subs.  Would they perhaps be on the "Korean internet" (Naver, etc.)? Buy you a beer for info  8)

Offline BrennaAlene

• Explorer
Re: Looking for Korean Subtitles for HBO programming
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 07:08:08 PM »
Depending on the level of your students, it may work to just give them the English script or provide English subtitles. I like to show lots of clips from American television, and my high intermediate students do fine with the written English. For shorter clips, I show it first without subtitles, and then, I play it a second time with subtitles or a script. We are then able to go over new vocabulary and phrases, and it challenges them to listen extra carefully the first time.

Offline towelshorts

• Waygookin
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 06:32:01 PM »
You can find a lot of Korean subs on www.subscene.com . Good luck.

Offline kwangjuman

• Explorer
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 08:59:20 PM »
Search for gom 자막 and then just type in the name of your show, usually pretty good for popular shows.
cineast,co.kr is also good but takes a few more steps to find the subtitles which might be a little confusing if you don't know some Korean

Offline Uhfotis

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 11:43:57 AM »
I  use this and have  had a lot of success

http://gom.gomtv.com/

Offline taidgh

• Explorer
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 01:40:25 AM »
Search for gom 자막 and then just type in the name of your show, usually pretty good for popular shows.
cineast,co.kr is also good but takes a few more steps to find the subtitles which might be a little confusing if you don't know some Korean

This.

Cineast is for movies only.  However, if you do want to use www.cineast.co.kr and don't speak Korean, hover over the 4th tab at the top (자료실), then click on the first option on the dropdown menu (자막자료실).  You can then type in the name of the movie or TV show in English and away you go.

For TV shows, For TV shows: http://midcafe.kr/ is a better bet.  Again look for 자막도운로드 (last button in the top row), click and you can search in English. 

Both of these sites have reputable translations (more or less), which can't be said necessarily of subscene and the like. 

Offline gravyhead

• Explorer
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 02:37:29 PM »
i always use http://gom.gomtv.com/jmdb/index.html but seems like the website has been down for a day or 2.  :(

Recent Lesson Plans

Punishment versus reward in enforcing discipline by Sean Whitton
[Today at 07:00:34 PM]

Would you rather...? Lesson by warren_king
[Today at 01:34:38 PM]

Doctor Who - Blink (Korean Subs) by Hoosier_Jedi
[Today at 01:22:03 AM]

Food Related Movies? by Summer
[Yesterday at 07:31:26 PM]

Students' Top 5 game by Thomas Mc
[Yesterday at 06:35:02 PM]

Buy/Sell/Trade