October 31, 2014, 10:38:43 AM

Author Topic: Middle School books by Christian H. Kim?  (Read 57637 times)

Offline jinjuyou

• Adventurer
Re: Middle School books by Christian H. Kim?
« Reply #140 on: May 18, 2011, 06:29:03 PM »
Grade 2, Lesson 4.

This lesson covers the conversation (reading and repeat w students), and checking some expressions.

Then we talk about some famous world sites, some world languages, and play a quiz volleyball game (this second part is adapted from a ppt I downloaded last year). Before starting this second part, you'll want to encourage the students to take notes about places/languages they're unfamiliar with (for the game later on).

Game instructions involve splitting the class in two. Whoever hits/catches the ball (I just scrunch up a piece of paper) must do the speaking, but their entire team is allowed to help them (I've had some previously really shy students come up with answers because of the encouragement of their team; good stuff). And stuff like no spiking, or whatever else you need to do to keep things under control.

Good luck.

I changed the game based on a KT suggestion to use the expressions on page 59, so each country has two sites included.

Offline Pauliver

• Explorer
« Reply #141 on: May 19, 2011, 11:48:55 AM »
Grade 1, Lesson 4

I teach a token game lesson (once every month or so) to the Grade 1 students, and they use this book. I decided to go with the Lesson 4 shopping theme and play Price is Right, and the best two .ppts that I've found are here:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,8310.0.html

Offline Mr Oh Eu Didn't

• Adventurer
« Reply #142 on: May 19, 2011, 04:24:26 PM »
Hi Everyone-

This is what I am doing for the second week of a great trip to South Africa. I modified another ppt that someone posted on this site that isn't for the Kim books, but I changed it to use our phrases and things. After the ppt I am playing a vocabulary relay game on the board for about 15 or twenty minutes. I have the teams in teams of four, I should out a  category and then members of each team come up and write in a word for that category and it continues until one team has has had each member come up.

Also, thanks for the updated file ottekahe!

Your PPT seems to be corrupt. Would you mind uploading another one. This one wont open on my school PC or my Mac.

Offline BenjaminThurn

• Adventurer
« Reply #143 on: May 20, 2011, 06:23:09 PM »
Hi Vinnie-

Here it is again. Let me know if it works. Has anyone else had problems downloading it? I've been using it all week in class.

Offline jouelle

• Adventurer
« Reply #144 on: May 23, 2011, 02:40:14 PM »
Grade 1 lesson 5

I made this powerpoint, nothing fancy but it gets the point across. I am going to follow up with this by making "Cheer up" origami cards next class.

How to make a spiffy looking card:

The origami card I like best

Heart note
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/937574/brianna_heart_note_fold_in_origami/

Pop out card
http://www.ehow.com/video_4433709_make-heart-card_-part-1.html

Simple valentine
http://www.ehow.co.uk/video_4971048_fold-origami-heart-valentine.html

Heart (long)
http://www.ehow.com/video_4971042_fold-origami-heart.html

Offline imstuckinglue

• Veteran
« Reply #145 on: May 23, 2011, 03:00:09 PM »
jinjuyou - mad props to you. the MASH activity has saved my life. my students are loving it! for some reason, it takes them AGES to fill out the worksheet even though the questions are very clear and easy. anyway, i have just enough time to do the dialogue and ask some questions, go over the worksheet, and have time for a few students to present. it's perfect. thank you!!!
Download Dropbox to get 2gb worth of free space.
http://db.tt/j3UI00Ke

Offline jinjuyou

• Adventurer
« Reply #146 on: May 23, 2011, 03:43:50 PM »
Yeah, I was also surprised to find that the students really seemed to struggle to answer the (in my and my co-teacher's opinion) very simple questions. I switched things around and instead did the worksheet along with the PPT. So I would go over the first question (Where will you go?), get some suggestions from the students to put on the board, and then have the students write their answers.
Same with numbers 2-4.

Then I showed them how to get their magic number and eliminate 3/4 from each group, so they were better prepared to do it themselves. I also prefaced the class by saying I wanted to play a game, but we HAD to fill in every part of the worksheet in order to play the game. My Co and I also encouraged them to hurry up while writing each answer. Doing this sometimes left around 10 minutes for presentations at the end.

Offline Tom_Waygook

• Veteran
« Reply #147 on: May 24, 2011, 11:14:51 AM »
I'm on chapter 6 with grade 2. The lesson introduces the use of similies. I came across this nice website which contains slides and games for similies (among other topics).

http://languagearts.pppst.com/similes.html

Offline Tom_Waygook

• Veteran
« Reply #148 on: May 24, 2011, 11:28:48 AM »

Offline BenjaminThurn

• Adventurer
« Reply #149 on: May 24, 2011, 12:11:16 PM »
Hey Tom could I ask what you did for lesson 5 for grade 3? The lesson seems rather dry and I'm struggling to make it more interesting for my 3rd graders who are already starting to get crazier from the nice weather.

Offline Tom_Waygook

• Veteran
« Reply #150 on: May 24, 2011, 12:55:06 PM »
You are right about lesson 5. Unfortunately, my coteacher wanted me to speed through this lesson so I only got to spend 2 days on it.

What I did was simple, I broke down a paragraph, explaining the opening, supporting, and closing sentences. I though page 74 in the textbook was helpful and I also made an alaogy of the paragraph parts to the parts of a home. The roof being the main idea, and the walls being the supporting structures.

I also spent some time on details, such as tabing the first sentence and making sure the closing sentence restated the main idea of the paragraph.

Like I said, I didn't spend enough time on this chapter so there were no games or activities involved.

I had the students write several paragraphs. Since they had recently returned from a class excursion, most of the students focused on that topic. 

My suggestion is just to hammer them with writing activities until they understand the fundamentals of a paragraph. There is plenty of time later for games and activities.  ;D

I hope this helped. Good luck!

Offline BenjaminThurn

• Adventurer
« Reply #151 on: May 24, 2011, 11:56:04 PM »
Hey everyone here is grade 2 lesson 5 for me. I have a listen and repeat dialogue with Pikachu and Mario, followed up by a partner speaking exercise, and then a game of what do you need to play...Last year I found my students didnt know a lot of basic terms such as "cleats" or "shin pads/guards" for sports, so its just a little extra vocabulary that actually gets the boys excited. I'm also showing them some youtube videos of skateboarding or bmx biking to teach them words like ramp (also surprised they didn't know) and just to have a bit of fun at the end. 

Offline BenjaminThurn

• Adventurer
« Reply #152 on: May 24, 2011, 11:58:03 PM »
oops forgot the ppt.

Offline Rowanteacher

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #153 on: May 26, 2011, 12:13:02 PM »
Grade 1 lesson 5: Making new friends

I made a rather formulaic worksheet and ppt based on the conversation page. The 5th question on the worksheet is nothing much to do with the rest, I just like to include an optional extension question to keep the higher level students interested.

I've taken the material from jouelle's "Don't worry be happy" .ppt and put it into a short bomb game format.

I feel bad that I've not contributed more this year but I've been crazy busy and my lessons are a bit behind most people's so by the time I finish making material its too late for most people.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 01:09:56 PM by Rowanteacher »

Offline Rowanteacher

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #154 on: May 26, 2011, 12:39:47 PM »
Grade 1 Lesson 4 Shopping in Insadong (clothes shopping and big numbers)

I know this is really out out of date for most people now but I put a whole load of work into it since it was for an open class and it was pretty well received.

Shopping and big numbers in a pretty generic topic so you could use it anytime.

The presentation includes a price is right game at the end. There is a review slide about halfway through the game which is where we finished the class, but if you have more time then there are spare game questions at the end, there should be more than enough for one class.

Offline Rowanteacher

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #155 on: May 27, 2011, 04:41:40 PM »
Grade 2 lesson 5- A world of sports

A powerpoint and worksheet based on the conversation page with gap fill, questions and role play. followed by a short quiz on identifying different sports.

Offline imstuckinglue

• Veteran
« Reply #156 on: May 29, 2011, 01:44:04 PM »
Glad to see you posting again, Rowanteacher. My students and I love your stuff.  :)

For Grade 1 Lesson 5:

Changed your worksheet a little to add the info from your bomb game.

I added lines to the back because the students are going to make the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears. The ppt begins with a review of past tense and then becomes a sentence scramble. There are 10 sentences that we do one at a time. Students unscramble the sentences and I usually give the fastest student a piece of candy. At the end, they have the complete story. I'm thinking that with the dialogue gap fill, the game, and the sentence scramble that that will take up about an entire class period.

Thanks!!

Offline imstuckinglue

• Veteran
« Reply #157 on: May 29, 2011, 02:17:51 PM »
For Grade 3 Lesson 5:

Worksheet:
Dialogue gap fill
Label parts of a report
Space to write 3 paragraphs.

The ppt goes over the gap fill and parts of a report. Then, I show the students some interesting pictures. Ideally, I would show 4 individual pictures, and then on the slide with those 4 pictures, they would take the time to write a paragraph about what is happening in the picture or make a story. This can be done three times. However, I have my doubts about how well that is going to work out.

So! I made a game using the Pirates of the East Sea template. The questions cover the dialogue, parts of a report, and some of the questions that deltablues posted on here in the BAAM game using "Would you....".

« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 03:14:00 PM by imstuckinglue »

Offline BenjaminThurn

• Adventurer
« Reply #158 on: May 30, 2011, 08:06:52 PM »
For Grade 3 Lesson 5

So for this lesson I start class out with a mad libs at the beginning just to get the kids active and raising their hands with some simple answers. Then we do the dialogue featuring Pikachu and Mario. After that I have a student read Mario's letter to Peach. As a class we identify the three parts of a letter, then I give them the handout to work with a partner on making their own letter.

Offline BenjaminThurn

• Adventurer
« Reply #159 on: May 31, 2011, 08:19:13 PM »
Here is my second week for A World of Sports. Its a little short because the second graders have some special event next week and will be missing about 10-15 minutes of class. Its a similar dialogue to what somewhat else posted for the lesson, plus a mad libs at the beginning, and then working with a partner to think of your own examples to describe things using the phrase " as( blank as blank)" and then using it in a dialogue with a partner. Enjoy.

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment