August 22, 2014, 08:48:23 PM

Author Topic: CAN'T OPEN PPTX? READ HERE  (Read 2127 times)

Offline Davey

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Hero of Waygookistan
CAN'T OPEN PPTX? READ HERE
« on: September 14, 2011, 03:16:16 PM »
If you use Office 2003, you won't be able to open 2007 files (pptx, docx, etc.) by default. However, by downloading and installing the following pack, you'll be able to open, edit, and save 2007 files using Office 2003.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=3
------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

Offline Hailey

• Waygookin
Re: CAN'T OPEN PPTX? READ HERE
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 12:36:44 PM »
Great thank you, it seems like every computer at my school uses a different version of Office.  Usually I just try to find the newest version to open the file and save to an older format.  This is much easier!

Offline akmokpo

• Explorer
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 04:46:24 PM »
Thank you!

Offline Tonga007

• Explorer
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 12:06:40 PM »
Thanks for the post I am sure my lappy @ school is against me LOL

Offline jorgill

• Explorer
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 05:37:20 PM »
OpenOffice works too for those not wanting to buy/use Microsoft Office

Offline keirdre

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 03:17:37 PM »
Thanks for these tips. 

OpenOffice is good, but occasionally the compatibility problems become too much.

Offline rmaunruh

• Explorer
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 10:57:32 AM »
Yes, Openoffice is a great tool but does not have every feature of powerpoint. You can also try google docs which works through the web, but once again there might be compatibility issues when transfering it.

You can also try using Prezi or using some Portable Apps, which allows you to open applications straight from a flash drive with no install required.

People can also try to save the files in multiple formats if its not too much trouble to help those with older software.

Offline Hoosier_Jedi

• Expert Waygook
  • I'm a knight of my own republic.
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 10:09:06 AM »
Oh, thank god. I downloaded a bunch of materials for my new 1-2 class only to find out most of them were pptx and that the school computers don't have that.

Offline Ammos Sack

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 01:04:15 PM »
I seem to be having real problems with this. I've downloaded the pack but when I try to install it I get a message saying "the expected version of the product was not found in your system". But it blatantly is there because I've been using it to open PPTs. Any ideas?

Offline slycordinator

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 04:21:44 PM »
I seem to be having real problems with this. I've downloaded the pack but when I try to install it I get a message saying "the expected version of the product was not found in your system". But it blatantly is there because I've been using it to open PPTs. Any ideas?
Are you sure that you have Office 2003? Because this pack only applies to it.

If you do have 2003, maybe you haven't installed its updates as the compatability pack expects you to be at the most recent version I believe.

Offline Space

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 04:26:51 PM »

If you do have 2003, maybe you haven't installed its updates as the compatability pack expects you to be at the most recent version I believe.

You just replied to a 2 year old thread.

It's always a good idea to check the time stamp before offering advice. These people have probably left the country by now.

Offline kyndo

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 04:33:08 PM »
Great thank you, it seems like every computer at my school uses a different version of Office.  Usually I just try to find the newest version to open the file and save to an older format.  This is much easier!

I've had the same problem

For those of us who are experiencing similar issues, it is possible to get portable versions of Microsoft Office (or OpenOffice, if you swing that way) that can be installed to a flashdrive. When you go to a new computer, you can open your ppts via the powerpoint installed on your usb, and never have to worry about compatibility issues again.

Just google "portable microsoft office (or OpenOffice) and you should find a number available for purchase, torrenting, trials etc.

Offline veknis

• Explorer
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 05:16:25 PM »

It's always a good idea to check the time stamp before offering advice. These people have probably left the country by now.

Someone else might have the same problem.  It is a good idea to have a documented solution.  Better than a new thread entirely.

Offline Traveling T.O.

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 08:34:23 PM »

For those of us who are experiencing similar issues, it is possible to get portable versions of Microsoft Office (or OpenOffice, if you swing that way) that can be installed to a flashdrive. When you go to a new computer, you can open your ppts via the powerpoint installed on your usb, and never have to worry about compatibility issues again.

Just google "portable microsoft office (or OpenOffice) and you should find a number available for purchase, torrenting, trials etc.

Portableapps.com  It's amazing.
You are never guaranteed happiness, only the right to pursue it.  So, what are you waiting for?  Get going!

Offline Space

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 11:08:13 AM »

Someone else might have the same problem.  It is a good idea to have a documented solution.  Better than a new thread entirely.

It is a sticky. It's at the top of the forum anyway.  It was why I said 'offering advice'.  I have no problem with adding to a thread if you have a problem and need to revive it. But offering advice to people who have probably left the country is kind of redundant. Especially when it's on a software which probably not many people have nowadays anyway.

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment