October 23, 2014, 02:02:10 PM

Author Topic: Temple Architecture and Artwork  (Read 3074 times)

Offline dostoevsky_21_81

• Super Waygook
Re: Temple Architecture and Artwork
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2011, 03:49:40 PM »
Thank you. I just recently put up another post at the blog about San shin, the Mountain god. Feel free to check it out!

http://daleskoreantempleadventures.blogspot.com/2011/12/san-shin-mountain-god.html

Offline dostoevsky_21_81

• Super Waygook
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2011, 12:08:12 PM »
Merry Christmas Everyone!  Hope everyone will have a safe and happy holiday season.

So have you ever wondered what those fish-shaped wind chimes might mean? Well wonder no more.

http://daleskoreantempleadventures.blogspot.com/2011/12/korean-buddhist-temple-fish-shaped-wind.html

Online Paul

• Featured Contributor
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2011, 05:47:47 PM »
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

Offline miss_cho

• Super Waygook
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2011, 06:53:19 PM »
I'm curious - do you take requests? I've only been to a few Buddhist temples here in Korea but I've noticed clusters of small stacks of rocks near the temples. At one temple I watched a little boy and his mother collect rocks on the ground to create their own. Do you know the significance of this ritual? I'd be really interested to read about it.

Offline dostoevsky_21_81

• Super Waygook
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2011, 08:08:40 PM »
I'm curious - do you take requests? I've only been to a few Buddhist temples here in Korea but I've noticed clusters of small stacks of rocks near the temples. At one temple I watched a little boy and his mother collect rocks on the ground to create their own. Do you know the significance of this ritual? I'd be really interested to read about it.

I'll definitely think about adding a post about this. And thank you Paul. Yes, I'll be one of the contributors for the Korean government blog. So thank you everyone for your continued support.

Offline Gossy

• Explorer
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2012, 08:35:13 PM »
I'm very happy to have found your blog! I've been planning to study architecture in my time off from work while in Korea, so its great to have all of this information!

I am going to be living in Bucheon, were would you suggest I try to visit first? should I go to Changdeokgung Palace? Is there a fee to visit?

Offline dostoevsky_21_81

• Super Waygook
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2012, 09:57:15 PM »
Yes, I would definitely recommend that you visit Changdeokgung first. To me, it's perhaps the most beautiful palace in Seoul. And yes, there's a fee to get in. It costs 3,000 Won just for a basic tour, and you can only visit the palace on a tour that you can sign up for at the admission office. I would also recommend paying the 5,000 Won extra. And if you're thinking about visiting all the major palaces in Seoul like Gyeongbokgung, Deoksugung, etc., I would recommend getting the integrated pass for 10,000 won.

Hope that helps.

Offline dostoevsky_21_81

• Super Waygook
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2012, 10:11:36 AM »
Just in time for the new year, the twelve spirit generals (zodiac signs) are up over at the blog.

http://daleskoreantempleadventures.blogspot.com/2012/01/twelve-spirit-generals.html

Offline matthews_world

• Super Waygook
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2012, 03:02:21 PM »
Not sure why noone else has said it yet but many foreigners find Korean temples to be the same.

Have you posted about the 3 'Enlightened' temples of the Silla dynasty - Haeinsa near Hapcheon and Hapcheon Dam are on the Nakdong River,  Beomeosa (Dongnae, Busan quite close to Nopo-dong Express Bus Terminal) and Bulguksa (nestled away west of Daegu in Kyoungnam-do)?

You might do a piece on Pal-goong mountain and the large stone Buddha head found at the top.

Haeinsa is certainly my fave with the Tripitaka museum nearby with all of stored scrolls.  Makes a nice summer or Chuseok getaway as there is also water sports and rafting nearby.

Offline dostoevsky_21_81

• Super Waygook
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2012, 03:36:41 PM »
Not sure why no one else has said it yet but many foreigners find Korean temples to be the same.

Have you posted about the 3 'Enlightened' temples of the Silla dynasty - Haeinsa near Hapcheon and Hapcheon Dam are on the Nakdong River,  Beomeosa (Dongnae, Busan quite close to Nopo-dong Express Bus Terminal) and Bulguksa (nestled away west of Daegu in Kyoungnam-do)?

You might do a piece on Pal-goong mountain and the large stone Buddha head found at the top.

Haeinsa is certainly my fave with the Tripitaka museum nearby with all of stored scrolls.  Makes a nice summer or Chuseok getaway as there is also water sports and rafting nearby.

While there are many foreigners that find all the temples to be "the same" there are also those that find them interesting. That's why I'm writing these articles, so as to differentiate the temples, while hopefully helping others to see the various beauty that each temple possesses so that they don't look "the same" to the untrained eye.

And yes, I've written about all three. As for Palgongsan, the "large stone head" found at the top of it is actually a full statued figure called Gatbawi.

Offline dostoevsky_21_81

• Super Waygook
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2012, 09:54:09 AM »
The latest addition to the blog is up. This time, stupas, better known as budo in Korea, are explored. These grave markers for Buddhist monks and nuns are highly symbolic, so check it out!

http://daleskoreantempleadventures.blogspot.com/2012/01/stupa-budo.html

Offline dostoevsky_21_81

• Super Waygook
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2012, 08:21:33 PM »
The next post is up over at the blog. This time the ever present Korean pagoda is explored in the first of a three part series.

Check it out!

http://daleskoreantempleadventures.blogspot.com/2012/01/korean-pagoda-part-1.html

Offline dostoevsky_21_81

• Super Waygook
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2012, 02:05:31 PM »
An all new posting is up about the Korean Buddhist temple art. This time, I explored the gorgeous floral latticework that adorns Korean temple halls.  Please check it out!

http://daleskoreantempleadventures.blogspot.com/2012/02/korean-buddhist-temple-latticework.html

Also, I've posted the final two entries about Korean pagodas. Check this out as well!

Offline dostoevsky_21_81

• Super Waygook
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2012, 10:21:17 AM »
An all new posting of Korean temple architecture is up. This week I have a look at The Hall of 1,000 Buddhas. This is one of the most beautiful halls inside of a Korean Temple.  Check it out!

http://daleskoreantempleadventures.blogspot.com/2012/02/hall-of-1000-buddhas.html

Offline MrH

• Explorer
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2012, 11:26:47 AM »
I enjoyed Haeinsa as it is a working temple, with monks drumming, meditating and carrying artefacts around throughout the time I was there. The complex is also quite large with a number of buildings on site and around it.

Worth a look for even the culture-phobe.

Offline dostoevsky_21_81

• Super Waygook
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2012, 04:06:19 PM »
An all new posting is up at the blog. This time, I explore the Nimbus that surrounds Buddhas and Bodhisattvas. Check it out!

http://daleskoreantempleadventures.blogspot.com/2012/03/nimbus-emanations-of-wisdom-and.html

Offline namerae

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Veteran
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2012, 02:09:21 PM »
This is an incredible resource for those of us who want more background on temples. Thanks for going to such measures to make them easy for people to understand (history, directions, paintings, etc).  8)

Offline dostoevsky_21_81

• Super Waygook
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2012, 04:21:04 PM »
Thank you for the kind reply. I hope you find the information helpful.

I have a new posting up about the house within a house at a Korean Buddhist temple.  Check it out.

http://daleskoreantempleadventures.blogspot.com/2012/03/canopy-datjib.html

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment