December 23, 2014, 09:23:29 AM

Author Topic: Organized trips/tours in Korea  (Read 1510 times)

Offline trobot

• Explorer
Organized trips/tours in Korea
« on: September 21, 2011, 02:38:21 PM »
Hey I was just wondering if anyone out there new about some of the groups that organize trips/tours/activities for travel in South Korea or even to other countries. I have heard of Adventure Korea. Any others out there?

Offline Tish39

• Adventurer
Re: Organized trips/tours in Korea
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 02:45:23 PM »
Kangsan travel

Offline iselynjenniep

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 11:57:07 AM »
discover korea and seoul hiking group (both on facebook)

Offline iselynjenniep

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 11:58:15 AM »
discover korea and seoul hiking group (both on facebook)

and http://www.koreansafari.com/ but i've never been on a trip with them

Offline sallymonster

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 12:28:54 AM »
I organize a non-profit meetup/travel group, Lost in Seoul.

We're on both Meetup.com and Facebook:

http://www.meetup.com/lostinseoul/

http://www.facebook.com/lostinseoul

Offline Graki

• Explorer
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 06:05:56 PM »
I just went on a trip with Discover Korea - currently renamed to "When in Korea" (Who knows why they felt a name change was necessary...)

It was fun and a bit hellish. Basically anything that had to do with organisation was beyond ridiculous.

Just went on a trip to Namhae Island for 3 days with friends.

Highlights include, two hikers being stranded on an island and left to fend for themselves.
Myself and nine other people standing in the aisle of a bus for two hours ten minutes because our bus with our bags had taken off without us, without warning.
18 people in a pension with access to only one bathroom.
General lack of remorse or an attempt to fix a bad situation.

I've heard decent things about this organisation but, the problem with this trip was that it was originally set to about 45 people for the trip. I signed up when the trip was expanded to 90 people. The grand total was about 170 people, so that's what made the thing so organizationally bad.

I'll never do a trip with them again. Just wanted to let people know.

Offline cruisemonkey

• Expert Waygook
  • You could be next!
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 07:43:55 AM »
Over Chuseok 2006, I did a 9-day tour of Mongolia through Xanadu Travel. It was great; and the price was really good (then).
The Ks once gave me five minutes notice. I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

Offline livzy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 03:42:42 PM »
Explore.com is excellent but expensive. I went with them to Egypt and couldn't fault the guides (all local, apart from the guide leader).

Offline Jozigirl

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 09:09:53 PM »
I just went on a trip with Discover Korea - currently renamed to "When in Korea" (Who knows why they felt a name change was necessary...)

It was fun and a bit hellish. Basically anything that had to do with organisation was beyond ridiculous.

Highlights include, two hikers being stranded on an island and left to fend for themselves.
Myself and nine other people standing in the aisle of a bus for two hours ten minutes because our bus with our bags had taken off without us, without warning.

I've heard decent things about this organisation but, the problem with this trip was that it was originally set to about 45 people for the trip. I signed up when the trip was expanded to 90 people. The grand total was about 170 people, so that's what made the thing so organizationally bad.

I did this same trip (same weekend too) but with Adventure Korea and it was fantastic!  I spoke to a couple of people who were with the WINK group and they were all complaining about poor organisation on the trip and most of them looked miserable.  Compared to the AK group, which clearly had a blast for the 3 days despite a couple of delays with traffic, I don't think that the WINK trips are worthwhile.

I've travelled with AK for nearly 2 years and always have fun.  The trips are well-organised, the areas are well-researched and the guides are a lot of fun to be with.  Of all of the trips that I've done with them, the Namhae sea-kayaking trip is the best!  Furthermore, of all the trips I've done with AK, only one has ever been cancelled due to exceptionally bad weather that meant the ferries to the island were not running on the day when we arrived.  As far as cost is concerned, most of the AK trips advertise one price that includes everything.  Additional costs might apply on some trips BUT these are always listed on the website so you know what you're getting into.  The way that WINK advertises its trips makes it seem like they're cheaper than those of Adventure Korea but there are so many additional costs involved that they end up being the same price - and, from everything I've heard from numerous people, a lot less organised. 

I highly recommend Adventure Korea!

Offline cheezsteakwit

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 01:33:32 PM »

I was on this trip to Namhae - same weekend, & I went thru WINK.   I booked the trip when it was set at 45 people & I was a little alarmed when the number of people attending kept rising ... exponentially, it seemed.

This was my first trip with WINK and that was my first impression ... unorganized.  Overall, though, I had a good weekend ... BUT I have also done a trip to the DMZ through Adventure Korea and that was awesome!   

I've only done 2 organized tours whilst in Korea & Adventure Korea DID seem more organized than WINK.  That being said, I WOULD still book a trip thru WINK....

BUT  It depends on where the trip is & IF Adventure Korea is also booking a trip to that same area that same weekend though! ha ha     I wasn't aware that Adventure Korea was in Namhae that weekend or I would have booked through them.           

Offline Jozigirl

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 05:14:13 PM »
BUT  It depends on where the trip is & IF Adventure Korea is also booking a trip to that same area that same weekend though! ha ha     I wasn't aware that Adventure Korea was in Namhae that weekend or I would have booked through them.         

With long/popular trips, AK usually has the same trip on the same weekend.  WINK seems to post a couple of their trips after the AK trips are listed for long weekends so it's a good idea to keep and eye on the AK website as places fill up very quickly.

Recent Lesson Plans

Grr I need to rant by Mr C
[Today at 02:42:18 AM]

DragonBall Z Bomb Game by keepemgreen
[Today at 01:36:13 AM]

K-Pop Slam Twist by whitleybug
[Yesterday at 08:33:25 PM]

How to Train Your Dragon Camp by kalib
[Yesterday at 05:55:54 PM]

Memory Picture Game (superhero/comic edition) by ChrisKorea
[Yesterday at 05:46:55 PM]

Buy/Sell/Trade