October 07, 2015, 09:31:03 AM

Author Topic: Suggestions (What should I do?... Why not... How about...  (Read 2110 times)

Offline Virginia

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
Suggestions (What should I do?... Why not... How about...
« on: March 23, 2007, 11:54:44 AM »
With my new (imposed) textbook, I am now called upon to create lesson plans that ensure that the students target certain key phrases. Here's one I used last week for suggestions. Could be easily modified for any level, methinks.

1) Make sure everyone understands what a "suggestion" is.... I generally do this by asking "What is this word in Korean?" and when everyone yells out a word, I say "Yes, that's right!" thus proliferating the rumour that I actually understand more Korean than I actualy do.

2) Write a few key phrases on the board and have the students copy them into their books, if they have books. Whatever. I am still an optimist.

To ask for help:

"What should I do?"
"Can you give me some advice?"
"Do you have any suggestions?"

To offer help:

"Why don't you....?"
"Why not....?"
"How about...?"
"You should...."
"(If I were you), I would..."
"You'd better..."

3) Model the structures with an example. I used "I'm cold. What should I do?" As a class, write down a different suggestion for each form on the board. (Why don't you put on a sweater? How abuot going to the sauna? You should drink hot tea.) Notice that they all use the base form of the verb, except "How about", which uses an "-ing" form (How about putting on a sweater?)

4) I then divided the students so that they were no longer sitting with their friends. Simple thing to do is count off (1-2-3-4-5-6-7) and get all the #1 together, #2s etc. And I gave each group a piece of A4 paper. They write the numbers 1 - 5 on the paper, but leave a lot of space after each number.

5) I showed them the picture of the man with the shark behind him and said "He has a problem. What should he do?" Once again, as a class, we came up with solutions to the problem - and I wrote each one on the board (Why not swim away? How about throwing the fish? Why don't you fight the shark?")

*Note: even after all this explaining and modelling, you should get the co-teacher to explain it all again, in Korean a million times*

6) Now, for each picture, each team must invent 2 suggestions using different forms. Usually, I put the picture up and say "What is the problem?", then I ask "What should he/she/I do?". Give them about 2 minutes to write. Dictionaries are very helpful. You will need to circulate and help out some of the weaker teams. (PS - pics are photoshopped images stolen from www.worth1000.com)

7) Pick up the papers and correct them - give candy or stickers or whatever to the winning team.

Total time = about 30 minutes.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 08:27:04 PM by Momo »
Nobody is interested in something you didn't do.

Offline Virginia

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
Re: Suggestions (What should I do?... Why not... How about...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 11:57:16 AM »
Here's another possible activity too for "Should"

Have a bunch of sentences like:

You __________________ put your finger in your nose.
You __________________ run with scissors.
You __________________ chew with your mouth closed.

Is this something that we should/shouldn't do?

Sloane - this might be useful for your "manners" lesson.

Nobody is interested in something you didn't do.

Recent Lesson Plans

When can "that" be omitted when can it not be omitted? by dandred
[Today at 12:51:06 AM]

Price is Right by SlimJimBlack
[Yesterday at 11:19:08 PM]

Pixar Lesson by SlimJimBlack
[Yesterday at 11:12:43 PM]

Debate Summer Camp - Middle School by kyndo
[Yesterday at 06:10:39 PM]

Murder on the midnight plane, puzzle book by dirkivis
[Yesterday at 05:50:10 PM]