April 18, 2014, 09:35:50 PM

Author Topic: Adult beginners  (Read 8050 times)

Offline beach_bum

• Adventurer
Adult beginners
« on: October 25, 2011, 12:52:34 PM »
Hi,

I have a new class of Adult Beginners. I've never taught adults before so in need of some help. Situation is I'm going to have three 1hour classes in a row twice a week. The class size will be 8-10 but....it's the same students in every one of those classes! Oh, and I don't know yet whether I will have access to a computer in the classroom or not- but I probably won't!

For the first week (first 6 classes), I have to prepare my own materials and then I have decide on a book for them.

Firstly, can anyone suggest what I can do- phonics I guess or basic conversational stuff maybe. I'm used to teaching elementary and middle school- don't think this class will sing their ABC's for me!
Second, can anyone suggest a book I could use for this age/level?

Any help at all would be great! Thanks!!

Offline htan611

• Veteran
Re: Adult beginners
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 11:39:18 PM »
I haven't used these materials but a previous teacher used them for his teachers' class and i thought this might give you some ideas.

The non-english teachers file is what I used with my teacher class. My non-english teachers' class has 1 older woman who knows enough of what I say to translate to the others. you can change the stuff to make it easier if you think you need to start at ABC'S

I spent my first class asking what they'd like to do.  Try to have some ideas/ topics for them to look at otherwise mine seem to say, "what ever you want".

Offline htan611

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 02:16:41 AM »
here is the first non-english teacher attachment..

Offline htan611

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 02:18:56 AM »
here is the second non-english teacher attachment..

Offline O

• Explorer
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 12:28:29 PM »
Wow! Thanks htan611.

This is an entire curriculum, fantastic.

I have an adult's beginner class with office staff and teachers from outside the English faculty. This will be perfect.

I hope to fit in an "I need/would like..." and some stationary vocab in the first class. Therefore everybody can start practicing/putting the phrases into practical use immediately. e.g. "I would like some paper please" "I need new batteries" and so on.

Offline jak338

• Explorer
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 03:47:33 PM »
The parents in my class like to focus on pronunciation.  So each class I pick a different sound that are frequent trouble spots [b,v,p,f, etc] then I use tongue twisters to practice the sound.  We practice saying it as a group then we go around saying it individually. 

For example:
Peter Piper picked a peck of peppers.
Which wicked witch wished a wicked wish.
Red lorry yellow lorry.

Offline TeranX

• Explorer
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 11:21:17 PM »
Thank you htan611!! :D

Offline munchkin

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 10:34:08 AM »
Thanks ya'll
This worked for me the other day.  I let them speak for longer than 30 seconds depending on the class/level and might work in pairs, groups of three, or what have you...
http://www.eslwriting.org/wp-content/Speak-for-30-seconds-about.pdf

A good video(s) from the same website as well...
http://www.eslwriting.org/5382/esl-video-discussion-lesson-day-of-light/
or
http://www.eslwriting.org/5399/esl-video-lesson-english-discussion-activity-seconds-of-beauty/

Offline sparkles

• Explorer
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 01:16:47 AM »
htan611 these are AWESOME.
Thanks so much!

Offline ejjss2002

• Explorer
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 08:18:21 PM »
I really need to see this material since I should teach some beginner level adults.

Offline sboedecker1024

• Explorer
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 10:01:39 PM »
For some reason when I try to open the files it just comes up as gibberish  ??? any idea how I can get them to work. What did you save the files as/what program are they run with?

Thanks!

Offline codetornado

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 11:29:27 AM »
sboedecker1024 you have to unzip the files above. You can't just open them. They are compressed for size.

You can use any number of programs. Lots of free options. Then find the files in your download folder, right click, and unzip.

Offline bugdragon

• Waygookin
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 08:02:53 PM »
I'm not even seeing anything to download or save. There's only the text in the posts, no attachments whatsoever. Can someone help me? I'm in need of finding some stuff myself.

Offline m.corless

• Adventurer
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 11:02:34 AM »
I'm not even seeing anything to download or save. There's only the text in the posts, no attachments whatsoever. Can someone help me? I'm in need of finding some stuff myself.

In order to download attachments on waygook.org, you need to make 5 posts or subscribe by paying a (I think) $10 fee. Once you have done either of those things you will be able to view the materials!

Cheers!

Offline Aletia89

• Waygookin
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 12:38:27 PM »
A great website for adult conversation class discussion topics! gives you a small text to read and then discussion questions! My adult class loves it!

http://www.btinternet.com/~ted.power/discuss.html

This is also a great website to get articles which are really easy to understand and read. The vocab is for children but i use these articles in my adult class because they are beginners. The articles are short and you can easily prepare some questions for them to answer about the articles!

http://www.pitara.com/discover/earth.asp
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 10:22:05 PM by complex303 »

Offline pugpug007

• Explorer
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 08:36:43 PM »
I teach real world skills to beginner adults - how to check-in at and airport/hotel, booking a table at a restaurant etc. First teach the relevant vocab and then role-play the situation. Once they have role-played they often find themselves needing specific grammar points (how to ask politely etc) and are ready to be taught the "boring" grammar

Offline abarkl

• Adventurer
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2012, 04:10:31 PM »
Yes- nice work htan611. Good stuff. Cheers.

Offline cutieturtle07

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 01:14:02 PM »
wow this information is awesome.

Offline Jillolivor

• Explorer
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 01:44:31 PM »
I teach real world skills to beginner adults - how to check-in at and airport/hotel, booking a table at a restaurant etc. First teach the relevant vocab and then role-play the situation. Once they have role-played they often find themselves needing specific grammar points (how to ask politely etc) and are ready to be taught the "boring" grammar

I do the same with my teachers.  Video first, role-play second, review of vocabulary after.  A lot of times I try to find a popular American television show for examples (Modern Family, Sex and the City: They are always out to eat and the teachers love it).

Offline purin929

• Explorer
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2012, 07:08:15 PM »
Play the "Liar, Liar/One Truth, Two Lies Game" to break the ice and also get a feel of overall student ability.

Recent Lesson Plans

ESL games for adults by johnny russian
[Today at 08:19:40 PM]

Need some help with materials! by nialloc9
[Today at 07:00:39 PM]

Great preposition activity! by MoneyMike
[Today at 05:14:40 PM]

Easter PPT and Game by luckytourist
[Today at 05:00:18 PM]

American Sign Language: Alphabet by travelinpantsgirl
[Today at 04:53:48 PM]

Buy/Sell/Trade