August 30, 2014, 01:08:53 PM

Author Topic: UAE visa  (Read 934 times)

Offline numberonegood

• Adventurer
UAE visa
« on: November 16, 2011, 01:46:06 PM »
So I would like to go to Dubai in January for a week or so but I just found out I need a visa (I'm Canadian).   The UAE embassy in Korea says they cannot get a visa for me, but said my Australian friends living in Dubai would be able to get a transit visa at the airport for me.  I've been looking around on the internet and there is a lot of outdated and conflicting information. 

Does anyone know anything about getting a visa to dubai?

Offline elephant88

• Waygookin
Re: UAE visa
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 11:06:53 PM »
Well about a year ago the Canadian and UAE governments had a bit of a falling out.  Emirates Airlines wanted more landing rights at Canadian airports but weren't granted them, so the UAE kicked the Canadian military off a base they were using.  All rather petty diplomatic stuff.  But it meant they cancelled a prior visa waiver.  So the bad news for you is that whilst a couple years ago you would have got a free 30-day visa at the airport, now you have to pay quite a sum.

I'm surprised the UAE embassy in Korea can't get you a visa. (Isn't that their job?)  Might want to try contacting them again, preferably ring/go in person.  If that fails, then perhaps ask the Canadian embassy what they recommend.

I know Emirates and Etihad airlines do cheaper visas through their websites when you fly with them, might be worth a look. 

I'm pretty sure a transit visa is only 96 hours.  Overstaying is risky.  As with border control anywhere in the world, whether they give you a massive fine and lots of hassle or just a (verbal) slap on the wrist is entirely dependent on their mood.  Don't suggest you mess with them though!

Offline numberonegood

• Adventurer
Re: UAE visa
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 12:23:07 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Because of how recent the changes occurred getting reliable information on this has been very difficult.  What I ended up doing was shipping all of my stuff to the UAE embassy in Canada to get the visa from them ($250 for the visa!!).
I considered getting the visa from one of the airlines you mentioned, but they only do it if you book your flight with them.  Unfortunately, their flights are extremely expensive compared to other airlines.
I will update here when I actually have my visa in my hand so any future Canadians wanting to travel to UAE will have some  info about the visa process.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 12:24:41 PM by numberonegood »

Recent Lesson Plans

Incheon superintendent bans midterm and final tests by ziggyinkorea
[Yesterday at 08:44:11 PM]

Anyone use the Let's Go second edition books? by yeoleum
[Yesterday at 08:13:54 PM]

6 Letter Words Game by DanaPaige
[Yesterday at 06:16:09 PM]

Kindergarten help needed! by Nelly89
[Yesterday at 04:37:38 PM]

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment