July 29, 2014, 07:41:17 PM

Author Topic: easier Lesson - influential ppl  (Read 1109 times)

AlexMokpo

easier Lesson - influential ppl
« on: May 30, 2007, 03:23:13 PM »
Yay! 
Here's something that's been working for me this week.  It's fairly easy and could be done with middle-schoolers I think.  I based it off of that Colbert video that was added here.  It was really interesting, and all the Kids have heard about Rain (비) being #1. ...of course, you have to explain that's the Readers' Choice selection. Anyway, here's how it goes...Go in the class and write:Influence = 영향 = verb (동사)Influential -------- adjective (형용사)Influential People...-explain the new word-now brainstorm on the board...who are influential people?Try and provoke all sorts of different people to make them understand the broad spectrum... politician, actors, singers, soccer players... And encourage them to think of people outside just Korea and the US. Also force them to think of females (this was the hardest thing for my classes, actually...all I got were pretty Korean actresses and singers)Now talk about Time Magazine.Every year they elect "top 100 most influential people" (write on board) (It helps to repeatedly colour-code "influential" with 영향 in yellow or whatever to keep the kids on the same page).Instantly kids start shouting out "Bi! Bi!" (rain)But noooooYou then have to write his name and cross it out. NOT top 100 from TIME. Top 100 from READERS. "People's Choice". Time asks their readers to vote on THEIR choice of most influential people.Now in their notebooks each kid must write 5 names of people THEY think are influential...you will have to explain several times it's THEIR choice. Gather the papers and show the video (starting about 1.45 minutes into it, to skip the excessive talking that they won't understand).http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es4_0Jm_18cExplain the video is interesting to us because in Canada and the US, we have NO idea who Rain is! How is he #1~? Who is RAIN??? Surprising! Now explain the rules of the game 20 Questions.You will write a name on the board and one kid will sit at the front, facing the class and must ask yes/no questions. The class will answer.For Example:Am I _______?and brainstorm possible questions before starting...a man, handsome, actor, singer, soccer player, king, dead, smart, rich, old, Korean, American, British, etcSo I have my co-teacher pick an English name (most will be Korean) from the influential people the kids chose as their top 5 and write it on the board, and I go first to model the game.Next, kids up.Total time, 50 mins.Maybe it's just that I've been giving out Canadian Gum as a prize, but my kids went wild for this.09;e, act.A1&uF   ; singer, soccer player, king, dead, smart, rich, old, Korean, American, British, etcSo I haҜ#d   9;y co-teacher pick an English name (most will be Korean) from the influential people the &#1015W   115; chose as their top 5 and write it on the board, and I go first to model the game.Next, kid&#11n3;ƶ12;.Total time, 50 mins.Maybe it's just that I've been giving out Canadian Gum as a prize, &#9.A17 q32;my kids went wild for this.

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment