October 26, 2014, 09:04:41 AM

Author Topic: ron paul for president  (Read 10947 times)

Offline jaysoon17

• Expert Waygook
Re: ron paul for president
« Reply #100 on: January 12, 2012, 11:48:22 AM »
We can go back and forth on the racism claims for a long time. These newsletters are all that the news organizations have on him since he's been serving. They have nothing else on him since he arrived into political office. How long have you been following Ron Paul? How many interviews have you seen with him? If you have really followed him the way I have and a lot of his supporters have and come to the conclusion that he is a racist, then I'm not sure what to say. I have followed him for 5 years and have come to the conclusion he is not. There is a leader from the NAACP who came to his defence and lots of other minorities who I found online who have come to his defense as well. 

I still say put the race issues aside. Of course I can't tell you what to do. You are free to make your own decision. I can tell you what I think people should do, and it is up to them to decide. With that in mind, I think race issues should be placed at the bottom for the meantime. Focus. Get the country on track, reduce the deficit, create more jobs than what has been lost since the Clinton years, and then we can look at race issues again. That's my opinion. If people choose to focus on race issues and choose somebody whose priority isn't the economy, then that's what the people choose. I think it's such a low priority, but what the people choose is what they get.

As for his supporters, yes there are crazy conspiracy theorists who support him. And I do cringe when I see people call Ron Paul, "President Paul" on CNN on live TV. We can look at every other party out there and see crazy people who support them as well. There are crazy people in every party, every country, and every ethnic group of people.

Cambodia or Somalia are not free societies like America is.  I don't find it a fair comparison to look at libertarianism in countries like Cambodia or Somalia.

Offline orangeman

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #101 on: January 12, 2012, 03:57:26 PM »
  Libertarianism looks great in textbooks, but if you want to see how low tax rates, private-only education and health care only for those who can afford it works please visit Cambodia or Somalia and take notes). 
What about the US pre 1913?

How is/was Cambodia ever libertarian in any way shape or form? Little known fact, but Somalia improved commeasurately during the time they had no govt.

Pre-1913.  Ah yes, the glory days of child labour, women's oppression, African-American subjugation and rampant corporate greed.  Thanks for proving my point: Libertarianism is good for rich, striaght white men.  I'm really not going to argue with you, we seem to agree completely. 

A vote for Ron Paul in 2012 will return the US to pre-1913 conditions!  They really need to make that into a bumper sticker.   

Offline Yu_Bumsuk

• The Legend
« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2012, 05:42:28 PM »
Yeah right, he said all that and it's just coming out now. That means they weren't able to pin a speck of an affair, much less a  sexual harassment allegation, on him.

I hate to agree with the Rev. Al, but maybe a name change is in order. Welfaria? Zooville? Rapetown? Dirtburg? Lazyopolis?...But Al, the Statue of Liberty? Next time, hold that demonstration at a food stamp bureau or a crack house.

If he had really written that it would have been very rude indeed, but I still would have chuckled. I can say that because I won't be running for public office in front of a bunch of CNN cameras.

Offline orangeman

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #103 on: January 12, 2012, 06:24:47 PM »
Yeah right, he said all that and it's just coming out now. That means they weren't able to pin a speck of an affair, much less a  sexual harassment allegation, on him.

I hate to agree with the Rev. Al, but maybe a name change is in order. Welfaria? Zooville? Rapetown? Dirtburg? Lazyopolis?...But Al, the Statue of Liberty? Next time, hold that demonstration at a food stamp bureau or a crack house.

If he had really written that it would have been very rude indeed, but I still would have chuckled. I can say that because I won't be running for public office in front of a bunch of CNN cameras.

It's not just coming out now.  It came out in 1996 (he defended the statements), 2001 (he claimed he didn't write them) and now (he just found out about them).  This isn't some random statement taken out of context or a meaningless relationship being sensationalized.  These are statements released at least with his approval under his name in dozens of publications over several years.  Stop trying to trivialize it. 

You know, I'm not even American.  I just came here to bug you die hard Paul groupies.  I'm not going to convince you guys what a nutjob he is anymore than I'm going to convince a Christian the Bible simply doesn't make sense or an Apple fanboy that their products are overpriced.  Or, actually, any other supporters of any other politicians.  You guys just have to stop thinking you and your guy are special somehow. 

Offline jaysoon17

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #104 on: January 12, 2012, 07:02:56 PM »
  Libertarianism looks great in textbooks, but if you want to see how low tax rates, private-only education and health care only for those who can afford it works please visit Cambodia or Somalia and take notes). 
What about the US pre 1913?

How is/was Cambodia ever libertarian in any way shape or form? Little known fact, but Somalia improved commeasurately during the time they had no govt.

Pre-1913.  Ah yes, the glory days of child labour, women's oppression, African-American subjugation and rampant corporate greed.  Thanks for proving my point: Libertarianism is good for rich, striaght white men.  I'm really not going to argue with you, we seem to agree completely. 

A vote for Ron Paul in 2012 will return the US to pre-1913 conditions!  They really need to make that into a bumper sticker.   

That's a huge jump to say that America would go back to oppressive conditions of pre-1913 under any candidate running for president. I'm sure Rusty was talking about more economic policies that allow for economic growth. In this day in age with 24 hour media coverage, tens of thousands of reporters, the internet and the pride in a lot of Americans take in the social progress over the past century, nobody would allow anything that is socially oppressive. The sophistication of the modern day media and the way information spreads is beautiful in that aspect compared to the days of mail and news being delivered on horseback.

Libertarianism isn't for every country and for every culture, and I also think certain political philosophies can be perfect or terrible according their time periods. I also don't think there is a political system or philosophy out there that is best for every country around the world. Libertarianism in Cambodia and Somalia? How well do you know the culture there? Some political systems/philosophies may do wonders for one country while it may be a disaster for another. For America in its time in history, its economic situation and its independent minded culture, I think this is a great time for libertarianism to become popular, and the recent primaries show that it is becoming more and more popular.

Offline Yu_Bumsuk

• The Legend
« Reply #105 on: January 12, 2012, 08:32:56 PM »

It's not just coming out now.  It came out in 1996 (he defended the statements), 2001 (he claimed he didn't write them) and now (he just found out about them).  This isn't some random statement taken out of context or a meaningless relationship being sensationalized.  These are statements released at least with his approval under his name in dozens of publications over several years.  Stop trying to trivialize it. 

You know, I'm not even American.  I just came here to bug you die hard Paul groupies.  I'm not going to convince you guys what a nutjob he is anymore than I'm going to convince a Christian the Bible simply doesn't make sense or an Apple fanboy that their products are overpriced.  Or, actually, any other supporters of any other politicians.  You guys just have to stop thinking you and your guy are special somehow.

I'm not an American, either (in fact a number of my ancestors were no doubt Orangemen, and not because they had ever eaten oranges). I just cannot understand the obvious attempt by every major American news source to attempt to dismiss or ostracise him. He speaks for something that must truly frighten them, and while I may not entirely understand it, that alone sure makes him appealing.

Offline woman-king

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #106 on: January 12, 2012, 11:38:15 PM »

Ahh, well, in my opinion, the Bible analogy is much more applicable to Paul supporters than those of other candidates.  They're as loyal as Obama's young left fanbase is evidently fickle.  More's the pity.  Given the recession, it's natural enough that someone like Paul is going to gain a bigger following since he makes the economy and protectionism so central to his message and I can understand why the economy is the crucial issue right now, but it's disappointing how people are rationalizing away so many of his truly untenable or out-there ideas because they believe he's the only one who can prevent some kind of inevitable socio-economic apocalypse.

Offline Brenho

• Adventurer
« Reply #108 on: January 13, 2012, 01:06:43 AM »
Rusty, you seem like a cool guy.  However, you have a couple of times in this thread asked people "what do you mean".  You have defended Paul and the accusations that he is racist with "have you watched anything by him the last 20 years".  This has been countered with links to prove his racism.  What do you mean?

Offline Brenho

• Adventurer
« Reply #109 on: January 13, 2012, 01:09:46 AM »
Prove otherwise man.  Paul cant even be described as a proper libertarian.  I realise you personally haven't claimed this but I feel its pertinent to the discussion.

Offline Frozencat99

• The Legend
  • #MoonPrincess
« Reply #110 on: January 13, 2012, 01:32:38 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_crime_in_the_United_States

Wow, really? Looking past the glaringly obvious problems with US crime statistics and selective policing is a poor thing to do if you're trying to defend someone. Taken from said link:

As noted above, scholars acknowledge that some racial and ethnic minorities, particularly African Americans, are disproportionately represented in the arrest and victimization reports which are used to compile crime rate statistics in the United States. The data from 2008 reveals that, though White Americans constituted the vast majority of total arrests made, African Americans were disproportionately represented in all forms of violent crime and property crime, as well as in the three measured forms of white-collar crime, with the average rates of representation 2 to 3 times higher than African American representation in the general population.[37] Such disparities become greater if calculating crimes per person for different races since overrepresentation for one group also means underrepresentation for other groups. The issue of disproportional minority representation in crime rate statistics has thus become a source of debate and controversy.

It is academically repugnant that anyone would use crime statistics to back up a racist remark.
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

You can leave your heterophobia behind.

Offline Brenho

• Adventurer
« Reply #111 on: January 13, 2012, 01:52:13 AM »
Rusty.  Lots of people have provided links backing up their opinions.  Please do the same.  What do you mean>

Offline Frozencat99

• The Legend
  • #MoonPrincess
« Reply #112 on: January 13, 2012, 01:53:06 AM »
If you can't tell what I was trying to get at, I'm honestly lost.

Use your logic, rather than statistics you've gleaned to back up your point that Ron Paul isn't racist (overlooking the vast criticism section of said statistics and failing to take into account that said statistics are the product of intense systemic racism), and go from there.
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

Offline Brenho

• Adventurer
« Reply #113 on: January 13, 2012, 02:52:57 AM »
I'm sorry Rusty but that is  poor show.  You have personally called out myself and other people.  Then you take ten minutes to "call out" other people with your opinion.  That doesn't count. 

Offline Frozencat99

• The Legend
  • #MoonPrincess
« Reply #114 on: January 13, 2012, 06:02:45 AM »
I'm sorry Rusty but that is  poor show.  You have personally called out myself and other people.  Then you take ten minutes to "call out" other people with your opinion.  That doesn't count.

I mean, he'll ask you to "prove" what you've said, you'll do it, he'll nitpick small details in an attempt to devalue what you've said and then he'll move on. Don't expect much else.

As for Blacks vs Whites when it comes to "committing more crimes", let's take a trip around the wonderful world of racial profiling and selective policing.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/oct/17/stop-and-search-race-figures
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/oct/27/opinion/la-ed-arrests-20101027 (laughable, the report is doing what Paul supporters do -- "its not racism")
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1175418/Black-men-times-likely-stopped-quizzed-police.html

With terribly short-sighted statistics you get equally short-sighted conclusions. Blacks commit more crime, gays more likely to have HIV... the highlights of impartial social sciences.

Offline jaysoon17

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #115 on: January 13, 2012, 02:03:30 PM »
I don't think Ron Paul is perfect at all, and I don't think I would have voted for him  if he ran during the Clinton years, but I do think that he would make a good fit for the current times. Obama would have been a great president if he were elected in 1992 during the technology boom, so the economy could have supported his lack of knowledge of economics, but him being elected in 2008 wasn't the best choice from the American people in my opinion. I do wish that Ron Paul's hardcore supporters would calm down and keep a level head. Of course it's not all of his supporters, but his most vocal supporters are something else:

There was another video I saw a couple of weeks ago that I can't find, but it was basically a man screaming at the top of his voice right at the start of his video for god knows how long. I couldn't watch more than 30 seconds of it. A very small percentage of people can tolerate that, and the media likes to take that and try to knock him down from his economic message.

Offline jaysoon17

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #116 on: January 13, 2012, 02:06:51 PM »
I found the racist comments made on video by Ron Paul that everybody is looking for. Check it out.

My vacation started 45 minutes ago, and I have nothing planned at all. I'll check waygook out when I'm bored, but if I find myself occupied during this unplanned vacation, I'll see you all in Feb.

Offline jaysoon17

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #117 on: January 13, 2012, 02:53:24 PM »
I think the person, who uploaded the video, labelled the video that way in order to get those, who want to prove Ron Paul is a racist, to see why Ron Paul isn't racist. I saw this video back during the 2008 campaign when I first started following Paul and wanted to see myself if he was racist.

Offline JABU NXAU

• Veteran
  • choose the narrow gate
« Reply #118 on: January 13, 2012, 03:12:37 PM »
I found the racist comments made on video by Ron Paul that everybody is looking for. Check it out.

My vacation started 45 minutes ago, and I have nothing planned at all. I'll check waygook out when I'm bored, but if I find myself occupied during this unplanned vacation, I'll see you all in Feb.
How can anyone think this is racist I am black and it is true that the drug laws are used mostly to imprison blacks, viva ron paul viva!
Americans and the rest of the world do not want to hear the truth. What a shame.
do your best always!

Offline scholes

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #119 on: January 13, 2012, 03:34:35 PM »
I get my daily dose of the Daily show and the Colbert report and I have one question.
Are republicans really that daft to believe in what their politicians say?

I've been watching those 2 shows for just over a year now and I'm seriously starting to believe it.

Recent Lesson Plans

Powerpoint Template Mega-Pack by RufusW
[Yesterday at 04:21:21 AM]

Halloween Bomb Game by gotngoidea
[October 24, 2014, 06:33:14 PM]

Vocabulary Game: Creepy or Cute by aklimkewicz
[October 24, 2014, 06:25:53 PM]

Halloween Pub Quiz by valium kilmer
[October 24, 2014, 05:45:07 PM]

punishment assignments?? by Pattinsons
[October 24, 2014, 05:44:41 PM]

Buy/Sell/Trade