April 21, 2014, 08:07:06 PM

Author Topic: MA TESOL  (Read 3862 times)

Offline hi_teachuh!

• Veteran
MA TESOL
« on: January 30, 2012, 02:49:39 PM »
Hi Everyone!

I'm looking to start a MA TESOL program. I would really like to do a program at a Korean university, however, I'm having a bit of trouble finding information on schools that offer such programs. I would prefer a program in Gwangju or Busan, but would be willing to travel to Seoul. Does anyone know of any programs? Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Offline Yu_Bumsuk

• The Legend
Re: MA TESOL
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 03:24:47 PM »
Sookmyung Women's University has a programme you can do part-time part on and part off campus (and you don't need to be a woman to enrol).

Offline hi_teachuh!

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 03:55:46 PM »
Thanks for that, I'll have a look. Did you do this program? If so, what did you think of it?

Offline Yu_Bumsuk

• The Legend
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 04:20:16 PM »
Thanks for that, I'll have a look. Did you do this program? If so, what did you think of it?

Someone from Sookdae did a talk about it and other MA TESOL programmes at a KOTESOL conference a couple years ago. One point that everyone in the subsequent discussion made was to do a degree that has a thesis option. A lot of online MA programmes can't really be trusted to be adequate but if you have the thesis you can slap down at least a potential employer has something noteworthy to see.

I've thought about doing one but I've already got an MA in another field and in Korea they seem to think one's just as good as the other.

Offline JahRhythm

• Fanatical Supporter!
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • University E2 Visa
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 04:49:05 PM »

Someone from Sookdae did a talk about it and other MA TESOL programmes at a KOTESOL conference a couple years ago. One point that everyone in the subsequent discussion made was to do a degree that has a thesis option. A lot of online MA programmes can't really be trusted to be adequate but if you have the thesis you can slap down at least a potential employer has something noteworthy to see.

I've thought about doing one but I've already got an MA in another field and in Korea they seem to think one's just as good as the other.

I'd say that's increasingly less true for the more competitive university positions as unrelated MA applicants have become a dime a dozen.
We teach EFL not ESL. Hagwon and "Private School" are not synonymous. Not everyone works in either a hagwon or public school. Immigration Question? Call 1345.

Offline Yu_Bumsuk

• The Legend
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 04:50:51 PM »

I'd say that's increasingly less true for the more competitive university positions as unrelated MA applicants have become a dime a dozen.

At places that have foreigners or foreign-educated Koreans on hiring committees I'm sure you're right. How many do I have no idea.

Offline Mountain Crocodile

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 09:59:58 PM »
Hi Everyone!

I'm looking to start a MA TESOL program. I would really like to do a program at a Korean university, however, I'm having a bit of trouble finding information on schools that offer such programs. I would prefer a program in Gwangju or Busan, but would be willing to travel to Seoul. Does anyone know of any programs? Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Not all degrees are the same in the eyes of employers.  Though this will depend on your employers location, there are a variety of factors you will need to consider.  It took me nearly 3 years to find a suitable program that would be accepted here and back home.  This included the fact that many faculty told me specifically NOT to get my degree here.  But employers will factor these into consideration.

1) Accredidation - credit for life experience = jailtime.  The degree needs to be real and they will check to make sure it is.
2) University - from the West is best, then they will 'consider' Korean universities but mostly if the applicants with Western degrees are not in the application pile.  It generally looks better to have Western degrees on faculty than local ones.  There is a hiring preference in this regard.
3) Thesis or no thesis? - Some dept's will want a thesis, others don't care and taught M.A.'s M.Ed's are fine.
4) Subject studied - MATESOL is a popular choice in Korea, though it does get you pigeonholed into a particular field of education.  In addition, these cheap 100hr online TESOL certficates tend to weaken the reputation of MATESOL.  A degree in Education or other field would be better in many ways. 
5) COST - many universities are charging a horrific amount of tuition for an MATESOL which is just wrong for what you are getting.  There are plenty of reputable universities that will give you a good education for an acceptable price, though they are shrinking fast.
6) EMPLOYABILITY OUTSIDE THE COUNTRY OF ORIGIN - In many respects (particularly Canada), there is an organization that calculates an equivalency of the education credential that is awarded outside Canada to compare qualifications produced domestically.  In general, 1st world degrees are OK (US/CANADA/UK/Western EU) are OK.  'Developing country' degrees don't fare so well and sometimes are not recognized as a suitable qualification.  Degrees from Nigeria or Liberia are worthless. (This is for when you leave Korea to seek employment back home)

Hope that helps.

MC

Offline chelino

• Explorer
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 01:16:28 PM »
Sookmyung is a bit expensive.  I did my TESOL there for one semester and it set me back about 3mil.  I believe the MA is similar in cost (3mil per semester) but there are possibilities for scholarships (not too familiar with this though).

I entered Sogang U, the English linguistics department, and they have been talking about opening up an "English education" major.  However, they have been saying that for a couple of semesters now.  I am in my third semester but I am considering dropping out (it has nothing to do with the school, professors, or classmates, I love them all).  It turns out my research interests are more closely related to speech language pathology, so I am checking out programs back home.  One of the great things about Sogang is that they give all foreign nationals an 80% scholarship (so you end up paying about 900,000 per semester).  Also, it is one of the higher ranked universities in Korea.  If linguistics or Eng ed isn't your thing, they also have an Eng lit program that is really well known.

Offline hi_teachuh!

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 01:44:24 PM »
Chelino, thanks for the information. It's really helpful. Are you taking evening or weekend classes? I'm only available for Saturday classes, do you think it's possible or are there classes during the week?

Offline chelino

• Explorer
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 02:33:27 PM »
For Sogang?  Unfortunately the classes are only held during the week (mostly between 9am-6pm).  I know that as a Sogang student we are allowed to take classes at Yonsei or Ehwa (I think up to 6 credits are transferable) but I don't know about their class times.

I could be wrong, but I think Sookmyung has night classes and maybe weekend classes (for the MA).  I know the TESOL cert at Sookmyung was one weeknight and half a Saturday for about 20 weeks.

Offline chelino

• Explorer
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 03:16:46 PM »
Also, if I may ask, what are your reasons for doing an MA in SK?

I met with my adviser yesterday and for employment in Korea there seems to be a 'west is best' mindset (which others have commented on here). 

My end game was to get my MA here and do my PhD in the states.  Sogang is good enough that many prestigious schools back home will accept graduates from Sogang. 

Anyhow, the quality of education is quite high and comparable, if not better than, back home (many of our professors are quite famous in their respective fields and have graduated from schools like Harvard, MIT, etc.).  So if you just want to learn then you can get a fantastic deal here.

I hope you can find something that is right for you.

Offline Ben-Ja-Meen

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 05:32:50 PM »
Sookmyung is a bit expensive.  I did my TESOL there for one semester and it set me back about 3mil.  I believe the MA is similar in cost (3mil per semester) but there are possibilities for scholarships (not too familiar with this though).

I entered Sogang U, the English linguistics department, and they have been talking about opening up an "English education" major.  However, they have been saying that for a couple of semesters now.  I am in my third semester but I am considering dropping out (it has nothing to do with the school, professors, or classmates, I love them all).  It turns out my research interests are more closely related to speech language pathology, so I am checking out programs back home.  One of the great things about Sogang is that they give all foreign nationals an 80% scholarship (so you end up paying about 900,000 per semester).  Also, it is one of the higher ranked universities in Korea.  If linguistics or Eng ed isn't your thing, they also have an Eng lit program that is really well known.

Do they offer an MA program in English Lit or is it only an undergraduate degree?  I just looked all over their website and found no reference to a MA in English Literature.  Just curious.  I may be interested.   :)

Offline Yu_Bumsuk

• The Legend
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 05:41:08 PM »

Do they offer an MA program in English Lit or is it only an undergraduate degree?  I just looked all over their website and found no reference to a MA in English Literature.  Just curious.  I may be interested.   :)

Most Korean unis with grad programmes offer English lit. MAs but this is a truly worthless degree. And even at this level I wouldn't be surprised if much of the instruction is in Korean.

Offline chelino

• Explorer
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 05:46:47 PM »
Sogang has an MA and I believe a Phd program in English lit.  The only teachers I've seen teaching those classes were all foreign profs from the states, Canada, or the UK.  I have a good friend in that department.

Now the linguistics program is half Korean, half English (about).  One of my professors taught the class in both languages.  Other professors choose one language and stick to it. 

The Eng ed program looks to be mostly in English (but again, they haven't decided the details yet).

Offline chelino

• Explorer
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 05:52:08 PM »
I just checked and 5 out of the 6(7? I can't tell what the practicum class is for, maybe lit? maybe linguistics?) literature classes are taught by foreign profs in English.

1 (maybe 2) of the 6 linguistics classes this semester are taught in English.

Offline mr_spivak

• Adventurer
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2012, 02:06:33 PM »
Chelino,

As a U.S. citizen, I would only pay 990,000/semester? How about housing? I'll be out of a job if I go full time so I think I should live on campus.

Offline mr_spivak

• Adventurer
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 05:27:55 PM »
*bump

Anyone know how I can get in touch with Chelino?

Or anyone else study English Linguistics at Sogang? I really need the advice. Thanks.

Offline Gyroid

• Adventurer
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2013, 05:48:01 PM »
I am extremely interested in this too.
If anyone has any information on getting an MA in Tesol from a Korean Uni. please let me know.

Offline heatherhmtang

• Adventurer
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2013, 06:21:15 PM »
I am interested in taking some courses related to TESOL or MA TESOL. Is it possible to just register for one course? Also, are there online courses offered? I don't live in Gangneung. So the only option I have is to take a class that's on the weekend or an online course.

Offline beekahj

• Explorer
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2013, 01:35:39 AM »
I am interested in taking some courses related to TESOL or MA TESOL. Is it possible to just register for one course? Also, are there online courses offered? I don't live in Gangneung. So the only option I have is to take a class that's on the weekend or an online course.

If you wanted to check out the Sookmyung Women's University TESOL Certification Program it is equivalent to the first semester of the MA Tesol program.  It is SMU-TESOL I believe or Global Tesol if you try to look it up online.  It gets confusing when trying to look up the Masters program without getting to the Global TESOL website. 

The TESOL Certification program credits you for Methodology I and II and a combined Second Language Acquisition course with Intercultural Communicative Competence course.  You can transfer to the MA program at Sookmyung or one of its affiliated universities listed on the website.  I just finished the certification program and learned a lot even though I had done another 150 hour TESOL certification course.  Another student had received a CELTA and said he learned a lot as well.  It is 8 hours on Saturdays for 16 weeks.  It costs about 2.4 million won.  Several people came from outside of Seoul to do the class.  The times were 2:00pm to 9:30 pm.  The class has an option to have a longer dinner and finish at 10 but most people choose to have a shorter dinner to end earlier.

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment