August 21, 2014, 11:05:55 PM

Author Topic: Where can you renew a Canadian passport? What do you need? Have to be w/in 6 mo?  (Read 2402 times)

Offline Canonite

• Expert Waygook
  • o.O
Hi guys,

I'm sure I can renew my Canadian passport in Seoul, but where else can I do it? Busan?

Also...what documentation do I need? I'll take all my picture ID (citizenship card, driver's licence, etc)...hope that's enough.

And finally...I seem to recall that you have can only renew it within 6 months of its expiry. However...I also have a Hungarian passport that expires six months AND TWO DAYS before my Canadian one. Therefore, I have to make two separate trips...is there any way to renew it, say, 7 months before it expires, so I can make one trip for both passports?

Thanks,
Tamas
*click*

Offline Jozigirl

• Hero of Waygookistan
You usually have to renew it at the consulate,  so if there is a Canadian consulate in Busan, you should be able to do it there.

As for the Hungarian passport, contact the consulate or embassy.  Usually you have to renew passports within 6 months of expiration BUT in some cases, you can renew them early and you'll either lose the remaining time on the current passport or they'll add it to your new passport.  When I renew my British passport, I could renew it up to 9 months before the expiration date and they simply added the remaining months of validity on my old passport to the new one.  My passport is currently valid for 10 years and 7 months.

Usually, you need 2 photos, the application form and the application fee plus, possibly, proof of residency.  Have a look on the embassies' websites as most embassies list this information.

Offline Canonite

• Expert Waygook
  • o.O
Thanks, yeah, I think I got most of it figured out, there is a consulate in Busan (if anyone is interested it's here:)

http://www.voyage.gc.ca/contact/offices_bureaux-eng.asp?id=153002

Now the only question that remains...is can I renew it more than 6 months in advance...the Hungarian one is pretty clear-cut, it expires next month, so I'll have to go up to Seoul likely (doubt they have a consulate anywhere else in Korea) and do it there...

so basically the only question I have now is...can I renew my Canadian passport more than 6 months before it expires...if I can...then I'm good to go!
*click*

Offline Yu_Bumsuk

• The Legend
There is an 'honorary' consulate in Busan way out of the way that can provide no actual consular services whatsoever. I found this out the hard way when I had to get something done - I can't for the life of me remember what - a few years ago. It may have been my passport renewal.

Otherwise Seoul, before noon, with docs and cash all ready (and it's expensive).

Offline Canonite

• Expert Waygook
  • o.O
Before noon???? Seriously? Why? (thanks for the info!)
*click*

Offline Yu_Bumsuk

• The Legend

No wait, that was because the next day was Canada Day or some other holiday or something. Now I'm confusing myself. Just phone and ask.

Offline Canonite

• Expert Waygook
  • o.O

No wait, that was because the next day was Canada Day or some other holiday or something. Now I'm confusing myself. Just phone and ask.

Oh good...I sent them an email, but I'm so used to not calling anywhere in Korea (I don't speak Korean) that calling the Embassy in Seoul never occured to me hahaha...eff's sake I can be dense sometimes ;)

I hope they're open past noon...somewhere there's a picture of me in front of the embassy in Seoul, I think it has the hours on it, I'll check it haha
*click*

Offline Canonite

• Expert Waygook
  • o.O
So, apparently, 12 months or less is okay...which is awesome for meeeeee.

Oh, and the Busan office (I'm putting this in here for the benefit of anyone who might search for this in the future) deals with non-urgent passport requests as well, their number is 051-204-5581.

Dang...if it wasn't for my stupid Hungarian passport, I could have handled this all in Busan!
*click*

Offline sweetkat

• Veteran
Here is the official response when I emailed the consulate. I renewed my Canadian passport in November.

Thank you for the question. For your passport renewal, a completed application form is required, which has to be submitted with the following documents;

∑         your current passport,
∑         birth certificate or Canadian citizenship certificate,
∑         2 photos, and
∑         the passport fee.

For more details, you can refer to the embassy website for passport renewal at:
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/korea-coree/consular_services_consulaires/passport-passeport.aspx?lang=eng and http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/korea-coree/consular_services_consulaires/renewal-renouvellement.aspx?lang=eng.

You can download the application form and complete it before coming to the embassy in Seoul or to the Consulate in Busan. However, we also have application packages at both offices if you would prefer that.

To complete your application, you are required to have a guarantor. Your guarantor must live in Korea and have known you for more than two years. The current list of eligible guarantors is:
∑         Dentist
∑         Judge
∑         Practising lawyer
∑         Magistrate
∑         Mayor
∑         Medical doctor
∑         Notary public
∑         Police officer
∑         Signing officer of a bank

Please note that your guarantor does not need to be your doctor, for example, only a doctor who has known you for the required length of time and can confirm your identity. Please ensure that your guarantor signs your completed passport application as well as the back of one of your passport photos.

More information about guarantors is available at the following link: http://www.pptc.gc.ca/cdn/section2.aspx?lang=eng&region=international.
To have your passport in a married name, you will have to provide IDs showing your married name.

The passport process takes 15 working days from the time we receive a completed application. You can come to the Embassy anytime between 8:30~11:45 am Monday to Friday and speak to one of the consular staff if you require help with your application or if you would like to submit your application in person.

You can also mail your application to the Embassy but we do not accept cash via mail. If you choose to mail your application please include a certified check or a post office money order (woo-pyeon-tong-sang-hwan, 우편통상환). I hope this answers your questions but donít hesitate to contact me if you need any more information.

Consular section

Offline Canonite

• Expert Waygook
  • o.O
Thanks...I've only been in Korea for 11 months...what do I do about the guarantor?? This is ridiculous...
*click*

Offline sunrise

• Adventurer
  • Dare to be remarkable.
There was another poster (different thread) who complained bitterly about renewing his Canadian passport at the Canadian Consulate in Busan. His summary: a big, costly headache.

You can try doing the "Simplified Renewal Application Process" - no guarantor needed - and you have plenty of time left before your passport expires. However, your passport must be mailed from within Canada (or the US). Info and .pdf form to download and fill out here: http://www.ppt.gc.ca/cdn/ren.aspx.

**Be sure to check the box that indicates you would like your old passport returned. This is important no matter what method you use to renew your passport, because your (old) passport has your E2 visa stamp...you just never know how K immi will react when it comes time to extend/transfer your ARC card and you try to explain that this is a renewed passport...

"Simplified Renewal Application Process" --
1) Mail your passport (+ other required docs) back to a family member in Canada.
2) He/She should take all the required docs out of the envelope and re-stuff them into a new envelope with his/her return address in Canada.
3) Then mail the new envelope to the nearest Passport Canada office for processing.
4) Once completed, the family member will mail your new passport (+ old passport) to you in Korea.
Put your future in good hands - your own.

Offline Canonite

• Expert Waygook
  • o.O
Well, I don't need is SUPER fast, travelling in August, but would be nice to have it beforehand...I was afraid I'd have to send it back...grrr...I thought you weren't allowed to renew less than 6 months before it expired (it's 12...I swear it used to be 6, but maybe I'm wrong)...I just came back from Canada...sigh
*click*

Offline Fanwarrior

• Expert Waygook
You can use the in lieu of guarantor form at the embassy. It's an extra $75 but you don't need to mail it from within Canada. That would be ludicrous for travellers all over the world.  Many people have reported using that form because they either haven't been here long enough or never thought ahead to go to the same doctor for 2 years.

I found it pretty trivial to go to the same doctor for 2 years since I've stayed around the same area.

I just renewed mine about 3-4 weeks ago.
The consular hours in Seoul are until 11:30, but that's only for people living in Seoul really. If you are coming from outside of Seoul they'll let you make afternoon appointments, but you need to call ahead. They realize it's hard for people outside Seoul to get here by 11:30. Live in Seoul? Screw you, take time off work.

The price is $100 + exchange, but they seem to be pretty gentle on the exchange, I processed a couple things while I was there, so I can't tell you what they exactly charged me for the passport.

You can also pay online with a Canadian credit card and print out a payment receipt. If you do that, I believe you can actually mail everything in.

Offline taeyang

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • The Legend
bump.

i thought i'd ask here before i call the embassy directly.

can you still renew a canadian passport in seoul? is the proceedure still the same? has anyone done it recently?

use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

Offline Freeto

• Expert Waygook
Yes, you can renew at Seoul.

No appointments needed in the morning, but appointments only after lunch til closing time.

Two passport photos taken within the last year (taken at a studio - not a machine - with the studio/photographer name, address and date the photo was taken in the back of one of the photos). Tell the photographer not to photoshop!  :P

Simplified renewal application form for Canadians abroad if your passport isn't damaged, hasn't been reported lost or stolen and remains valid. Passport is still acceptable if it has been expired for less than a year, I believe.

Passport.

Payment (I paid 268,000KRW cash for the 10 year passport), call ahead to ask if you can pay by card etc.

Save $5 on your first iHerb order under $40 by using coupon code VIS416, or save $10 if your first iHerb order is over $40!

Good for over 30,000 products including nutritional supplements, beauty items food and other health products. Cheap and fast shipping worldwide.

Offline taeyang

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • The Legend
Yes, you can renew at Seoul.

No appointments needed in the morning, but appointments only after lunch til closing time.

Two passport photos taken within the last year (taken at a studio - not a machine - with the studio/photographer name, address and date the photo was taken in the back of one of the photos). Tell the photographer not to photoshop!  :P

Simplified renewal application form for Canadians abroad if your passport isn't damaged, hasn't been reported lost or stolen and remains valid. Passport is still acceptable if it has been expired for less than a year, I believe.

Passport.

Payment (I paid 268,000KRW cash for the 10 year passport), call ahead to ask if you can pay by card etc.

thank you! appreciate this.

how about the guaranteur section? i have been here for *ahem* a couple of years, so i'll be able to ask my doctor. is this still necessary?

Offline Pikkle

• Veteran
bump.

i thought i'd ask here before i call the embassy directly.

can you still renew a canadian passport in seoul? is the proceedure still the same? has anyone done it recently?

I did mine back in August. Did the no-guarantor one. Very simple. The not-after-noon rule IS in effect, which really pissed me off when I got there at 1 and got turned away. Also, you can get the 10 year ones now (FINALLY!) so that's good.

Offline Freeto

• Expert Waygook
No guarantor needed if you qualify for the simplified renewal application process.

You are eligible for simplified renewal if:

you were at least 16 years of age at the time of your previous application;
your name on the application form is exactly as it appears on page 2 of the submitted passport;
you submit a previous Canadian passport that:
was/is valid for 5 or 10 years;
is not damaged;
was never reported lost or stolen; and
is still valid or expired for no more than one year.

You will have to provide references of two persons who are not your relatives who have known you for more than two years. I just provided the names of friends back in Canada.
Save $5 on your first iHerb order under $40 by using coupon code VIS416, or save $10 if your first iHerb order is over $40!

Good for over 30,000 products including nutritional supplements, beauty items food and other health products. Cheap and fast shipping worldwide.

Offline taeyang

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • The Legend
you're a LIFESAVER. thank you for help.

Offline taeyang

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • The Legend
a quick follow up: i received my new (and hideous) canadian passport. the process was EXTREMELY simple, and only necessitated in one phone call to the canadian embassy (the woman i spoke to seemed like she was in a rush to get me off the phone, but whatever).

door-to-door, it took two weeks, which is considerably less than the "22 working days" that is posted on the website.

i got my old passport back too, with the corner of the first few pages rather haphazardly cut off. but the simplified renewal, really was simple. i feel bad for anyone that has to go through the process of finding guarantors....

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment