April 21, 2014, 07:54:33 AM

Author Topic: Supplements in Korea  (Read 20001 times)

Offline dvorders

• Explorer
Re: Supplements in Korea
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2011, 04:20:13 PM »
You can get whey protein, creatine and other supplements at the foreign market at Namdaemun, but it is a little on the steep side.  I think the protein was about 70,000 or 75,000 for 5 lbs. 

On the other hand, if you join a gym, Koreans have solid access to supplements, but you have to have a national id number for the site.  I have a guy at the gym who ordered all my stuff for me and now he just gave me his account info and I order off the website.  The prices are cheaper than American for some stuff (Jack3d, some protein), but it depends on you want.  The site is amazing www.healthkoreaus.com and you can check it out if you know Korean. 

My best advice is find a Korean and have them sign-up for an account you can you or just ask them to order it for you.  They are pretty accessible to the idea from what I have heard.  I have the same deal about ordering chicken breasts and other food.

Offline Davey

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2011, 04:31:17 PM »
What about regular supplements (as in not for body building) such as iron, or calcium?  I know a friend of mine was taking some iron supplements, but they were given to her by a doctor.  Can I find them without seeing a doctor?

iherb.com pretty much has everything -- omega-3s, vitamins, protein, etc.
------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

Offline dvorders

• Explorer
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2011, 04:38:53 PM »
i forgot to mention that shipping is only a flat 10,000 Won.  They ship the products from Los Angeles and it only takes about three days.  I ordered on a Wednesday and got it Saturday morning.  I have had no problems with www.healthkoreaus.com.  I usually spend about 150,000 - 200,000 to stock-up and order a booster (jack3d or 1mr), 10 lbs. protein (BSN or Now, but Now tastes like chalk), and then some miscellaneous stuff (new straps, BCAAs, Multivitamins, etc.)

Offline Belle

• Explorer
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2011, 04:41:10 PM »
Did u guys know theres also a GNC here in Korea... most of them can be found like at the bottom of a Lotte Department store or like a Hyundai department store. They pretty much have the types of supplements or things that you can get back home. I had to even get iron pills there because i couldnt find any anywhere else.

Offline Davey

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2011, 04:41:49 PM »
i forgot to mention that shipping is only a flat 10,000 Won.  They ship the products from Los Angeles and it only takes about three days.  I ordered on a Wednesday and got it Saturday morning.  I have had no problems with www.healthkoreaus.com.  I usually spend about 150,000 - 200,000 to stock-up and order a booster (jack3d or 1mr), 10 lbs. protein (BSN or Now, but Now tastes like chalk), and then some miscellaneous stuff (new straps, BCAAs, Multivitamins, etc.)

yah, that site is great, too, although harder to navigate since it's in Korean (shoot them an e-mail for guidance) and iherb has greater variety.

in terms of shipping, it is better than iherb.com as you mentioned since it's 10,000W flat regardless how much you order.
------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

Offline dvorders

• Explorer
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2011, 04:46:57 PM »
What are the prices like at GNC though.  I know there's a little store near my place that is all vitamins and everything.  It is ridiculously expensive, probably 2~3 times the price back home and then same as compared to ordering it off of websites.  Do they carry actually supplements or just vitamins and stuff?

Offline willinkorea

• Adventurer
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2011, 05:10:31 PM »
After two years in Korea, here are the sources of supplements I'm aware of either in and around the Seoul area, or on-line:

- Supermarkets, like Homeplus, have a (limited) range of supplements ie the standard daily vitamin and mineral supplements and energy/general health boosting supplements.

- GNC, as pointed-out by a previous poster can be found in some dept. stores, and in some Homeplus stores. Although generally a wider range of supplements than standard offerings in Korea supermarkets, the range isn't as extensive as in GMC outlets in America.

- Costo has a pretty limited range of mainly vitamins and minerals. Nb despite living in Korea for two years, the Costco I visited in Seoul on a Saturday afternoon last month was the single busiest store I'd ever been too. Hell. I left without buying anything.

- http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=LEL605 - this is the site I use mostly for ordering supplements. Cheap prices for brand name products. I order my also order my natural shampoo and soaps from here. $5 discount with first order.

- Smoothie King: very limited range of vit/min supplements and protein mixes.

Offline Halcyon

• Veteran
« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2011, 06:06:09 PM »
In agreement with dvorders and daveyc18...healthkoreaus.com us hands down the best way to go...A couple of months ago I compared prices from iherb.com, bodybulding.com, mass119,com, and healthkoreaus.com.  I looked at a few others as well but they're not really worth mentioning.  Healthkoreaus.com turned out to be significantly cheaper than the rest.  Bodybulding.com was the cheapest based solely on item price but when you tacked on the S&H they quickly lost the advantage..

The only trouble I had when I signed up was that my the site wouldn't accept my email address because my name was separated by a "." before the @ -sign.  It took a little while for me to figure out but once I did registered a new email address and all was fine...I sent them an email in Korean and in English and they responded in English.  Honestly, their reply made me feel like when you're here talking to a Korea in whatever muddle Korean you can come up with and they respond in fluent English.."doh!"

Healthkoreaus is definitely the way to go.  You're going to end up spending a lot more money otherwise, especially if you're particularly looking at bodybuilding supps. If you need help registering or navigating the site and you can't find anyone to help you out you can shoot me a message.

If I recall correctly, healthkoreaus.com is a business registered & operated out of Los Angeles, California.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 10:12:38 PM by Halcyon »

Offline johanncoet

• Explorer
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2011, 11:19:21 AM »
I am new to all the American brands. What are the higher quality and more respected brands for supplements like protein and creatine and the likes?

Offline dvorders

• Explorer
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2011, 01:07:19 PM »
Good American brands are BSN (Syntha 6 is a classic/Korean love it), GNC (expensive in Korea), Twinlab is OK for the price (it's cheaper), Muscletech has good creatine mixtures, but a little heavy on the sugar.  NOW has a good reputation, but personally it's the worst tasting protein i've ever had (backed up by a friend who's warning I didn't heed).  Optimum Nutrition is great, but expensive. 

Creatine doesn't matter because it all comes from like the same 5 distributors.  As long as you get a Pure Monohydrate Creatine than you are pretty much set.  They may add extra BCAAs or something, but if all you want is creatine just make sure it's Pure Monohydrate. 

Offline johanncoet

• Explorer
« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2011, 06:24:45 PM »
Thanks, this is really helpful!

Offline joybot0

• Veteran
Re: Where can I find Protein shake/bar?
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2011, 01:58:36 PM »
I was just on the EZShop Korea website (in English) and they have powders for sale. Same at nicedeli.com ...

Offline Rfenon

• Waygookin
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2011, 04:12:12 PM »
HI

I use the herbal life products protein and nurtishake I get it from the lady at the gym next to my school
I've gotten  some of my friends as well and she ships it the same day you pay the money into the acc
And herbal life is one of the best on the market
let me know if you are interested
you can email me at rhoklestaff@yahoo.com

Offline kelseyleep

• Explorer
« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2011, 04:18:03 PM »
not sure where you're coming from but there's a decent amount of international food in the grocery store (subway level) of AK Plaza, at Seohyeon Station, in Bundang (yellow line). Also, I got some protein powder from Costco... its basic, but good, and a good price. Just tell a taxi drive "Yangjai e-mah-tuh (E-Mart)" and they'll take you to costco.

Offline jproux

• Adventurer
« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2011, 04:34:20 PM »
One more option:
If you do live close to Mokdong station (line 5) then there is a small sports nutrition shop a few minutes walk away: Leave the station via Exit 3, walk straight down, just before the next big intersection you'll see the store on your right (it's next to a Yumsem Kimbap place.

PS: i echo some of the others: the protein they have at costco (or at least when i went) was below par. I ended up giving half of mine away.

Offline dsob

• Veteran
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2011, 05:21:16 PM »
I ordered off iHerb and it took over a week to come. However it was relatively cheap and I'm pretty happy with the choice and the product.
www.djsandkp.blogspot.com

Supplements at www.iHerb.com - $5 off referral coupon - OZI611

Offline crystal

• Adventurer
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2011, 05:33:06 PM »
Aah! again, I'd say "Costco" is the answer! Have seen loads of Protein shake there. Just need to take membership.

Cris
"the best or nothing!"

Offline mustafajafar

• Explorer
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2011, 05:35:11 PM »
I've heard that all the Costco brand protein's are cheap...but they 'costco' brands and they are just a basic whey, and they do not taste good or mix very well either.

Offline Ley_Druid

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2011, 05:37:12 PM »
I've heard that all the Costco brand protein's are cheap...but they 'costco' brands and they are just a basic whey, and they do not taste good or mix very well either.

The powder is TERRIBLE! I had to chug half a bottle of hershy's syrup to make it even worth any time. And they have weight gainer, which is just as bad.

Better off using healthkoreaus.com

Offline jgroh

• Veteran
« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2011, 05:58:59 PM »
As far as healthy and non-processed goes, I've been making Banana and Spinach yogurt smoothies recently. Super simple to make and super delicious. (you don't taste the spinach either).

Recent Lesson Plans

Too passive aggressive? by gtrain83
[Today at 01:35:33 AM]

Connect Four by cgcc
[Today at 12:12:08 AM]

Middle School Students Don't Like Anything by YounguhTchr
[Yesterday at 03:23:11 AM]

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment