September 03, 2014, 05:52:39 AM

Author Topic: Ice Breakers  (Read 16073 times)

Offline capo1211

• Explorer
Ice Breakers
« on: December 23, 2010, 02:12:56 PM »
Please list the games you play to break the ice with new students.

I usually start with a name game.
Get the kids in a circle and get everyone to say their name in turn. Then they have to to say my name is... and then previous person/people. You can also intoduce a ball mix up the order or add things about them for example name and favourite food.

Offline teacher_del

• Expert Waygook
Re: Ice Breakers
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 02:21:30 PM »
From this PPT: http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,3606.0.html

Icebreaker Jenga

(Original game:  You start with a tower of blocks.  Players take turns removing blocks from the tower and re-stacking them on the top.  If the tower falls, you lose.)

Each Jenga block is assigned one of three shapes (circle, triangle, or square)

Each shape corresponds to a different piece of information (which can change depending on what youíre doing).  For example:  Name, Where are you from?, Favorite Food.

Before starting, students share the information about themselves.  Make the class repeat.

Form a line and take turns playing Jenga.

For each block taken, students must say the corresponding information about their neighboring student.

If they canít remember or answer incorrectly they must take another turn and draw second block.

Offline WorkingTitle3484

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 02:45:46 PM »
Big Wind Blows - Grammar Point (Every one with blue shoes, Go!!) 15-20min MAX

Everyone sits in a circle, one person stands in the middle and calls out description.  Students with blue shoes must change seats.  They CAN'T sit in adjacent open seats.  Works out to make mixed groups of strangers.  Play along with the students.  You can throw in (Every Korean/student go).  If they're cleverly spiteful, they'll say (Every American/teacher go).

If it's a low group, I recommend physical descriptions (color, clothes, etc).  If it's a high group, I suggest introducing adj. clauses (Every one who has blue shoes, Go!) and personal info (family, hobbies, etc.)

You get what you give :)

Offline prisspiggy

• Adventurer
Camp Activity Idea: Getting To Know You
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 03:35:17 PM »
Here are some activities for the first day of Camp (especially if you have students from more than one school at your camp):

Name Tags - Template  (let kids be creative with colour pencils and fun 'English' names)

Make Teams after name tags are complete.  (get students to make a line and number off (e.g.  If there are 20 students in your camp, from 1-5 (e.g. 1,2,3,4,5, 1,2,3,45...etc)  so there are 5 teams of 4 students))
Next, get teams to come up with a Team Name.  Complete the name tags by writing 'Team ____' in black marker at the bottom of each students name tag.

Getting To Know You - Activity (give points to the first team to complete a whole sheet.  They can put their own names and their teachers names on the sheet.  They must ask questions like, What is your name?  How old are you?  What is your favourite colour?  What is your favourite food?)  -- you can write these questions on the chalk / white board so that the students don't have to memorize them.  At least they are reading and speaking in English!

Four Corners - Ice Breaker (this activity was modified from another Teacher's PPT...I have made it simple for Elementary school students.  First you can identify one corner in the room as #1, the next corner as #2, the next as #3 and the last as #4.  Each time you call out a word from a category...say "Which do you like the best?  1 - Apples, 2 - Oranges, 3 - Grapes, 4 - Bananas"  The students should run to the corner with the fruit they like the best and introduce themselves to another student in that corner.  Then each corner should answer this simple question.  "Who likes Apples? - We like apples!

Team Relay Game & Sentences - students must do one activity 'crab walk with ball under chin' to the other side of the room and then
the teacher will give them a sentence to remember.  They must then bunny hop back to their team with the ball under their chin and give the sentence to the teacher who is standing next to their team.  The sentences do not need to be perfect...this is just to encourage them to remember things in English and to get used to participating as a team.

pizza hamburger

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 10:29:08 PM »
Give the kids a piece of paper, and have them draw three things they like.  If they know the English for it, great, write that down, but if not, just a picture is cool.  Tell the kids DON'T put your name on the paper.

Then, have them wad the paper into a ball.  Have them give the papers to you.

Then, throw the paper balls at the students.  Encourage them to throw them as well.

After a minute of this, have the kids collect the balls and give them back to you.  Once you have all the balls, unwrap one and show it to the class.  Ask "Who likes" whatever is on the paper and have the student respond with a "Me" or whatever. If this is your first time meeting them, ask their name and say nice to meet you and shake their hands.

It's dumb, but kids generally like drawing things, and they like throwing paper balls (especially at a teacher).  Plus, it's a good way to get to know your students a little better (and for them to get to know each other and you, too, because you should draw three things on a piece of paper as well).  You can do it with things they don't like (but I like to keep it positive) or what they ate for dinner last night or whatever.

Offline lindznicolew

• Explorer
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 04:22:25 PM »
Where in Korea can I find the Jenga game?

Offline evolutionbassist

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 04:29:53 PM »

I found mine in the toy department of Home Plus. The one I bought is called Stack'em by Tesco.
"Cricket? Nobody understands cricket! You gotta know what a crumpet is to understand cricket!"

Offline eider

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 01:51:37 PM »

E-mart also has Jenga

Offline dancesonhertoes

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 11:43:07 AM »
Linking game.  1 person starts and says "my name is _________ and I like ______."  If you like it you link arms with that person and say "my name is _____ and I like __(something new)__" Goes on until everyone is linked.  If nobody likes something then they have to think of something else.

Offline Catfish

• Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 03:38:58 PM »
2 Truths and a Lie

Students make 3 statements about themselves: 2 truths and one lie.  The other students have to guess the lie.   I have to students write the statements down so when they present it is easier.

A couple notes:
1) You have go get the ball rolling.  Think of interesting things. If you say:  I love ice cream, I hate cats, and I live X-city, then every student is going to follow your example.  Which gets really boring, really fast.  But if you say: My real hair color is blonde (mine is dyed), I like kimchi, and I know Japanese, it sets the example of having fun with the 'facts.'

2) It is easier to make the statements more interesting with a little more advanced students, but it can be done with low-level students. You can brainstorm with students about different topics: favorite/least favorite things, what job you want, places you have or have not been to, things you can and can't do, etc.  The bigger the variety of things the better the game works. 

Wishing you the best on your camps!

Offline Catfish

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 03:41:52 PM »
Does anyone know how the Knot Game works?  I remember playing it in camp when I was in middle school, but I don't remember how it actually works.  I know you stand in a circle, reach in, and grab someone's hand.  And then you have to "unknot" yourselves.  But how do you unknot?  You don't let go of hands, right?  Is it going over and under? 

Offline teacher_del

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 06:42:40 PM »
But how do you unknot?  You don't let go of hands, right?  Is it going over and under?
Yes, participants have to step over and duck under sets of joined hands until the result is a big circle. 

Offline cim1104

• Waygookin
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 02:47:55 PM »
I played the name game but had then say an animal or a word that starts with their name. It helps make remembering the name more fun. like Christine - cat

Offline jules.cw

• Explorer
Airplane ice breaker
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 12:33:20 PM »
This is a game that we are going to use as an ice breaker for day one of our camp. You can make it more simple, or complicated depending on the level of the kids. I had to use a slide from a pass the ball game, as I'm not so hot on the techy tide!

Offline lizteacher10

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
Re: Airplane ice breaker
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 03:46:18 PM »
Great Ice breaker! My co-teacher used an airplane to open a lesson once. This will be a great use of that idea! Can't wait to try it~

Offline ucla_all_the_way

• Veteran
Ritz Cracker Ice Breaker
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 05:48:38 PM »
I saw this on a TV game show in Korea and it seemed like lots of fun.

Split the students into teams and have each team send up a representative.  Each representative kneels down in the front and the teacher places a Ritz cracker (they are called 재크 in Korea) on each student's forehead.  The students race each other to see who can eat the cracker first without using their hands.  Trying to move the cracker from your forehead to your mouth leads to very funny facial expressions and laughs all around.

Anyone else have any good ice breakers they have seen from Korean TV?

Offline ellenkorea

• Explorer
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 06:30:06 PM »
Great Ice breaker! My co-teacher used an airplane to open a lesson once. This will be a great use of that idea! Can't wait to try it~
Great idea! I really  want to try this one for my first day camp, thanks..

Offline j_kuan

• Explorer
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2011, 07:42:04 PM »
This is SUCH a great idea!
Can't wait to try it on my first day!

Offline syd wegoda

• Veteran
Ist day/ filler/ end of day game: ODD ONE OUT
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2011, 02:02:36 PM »
Here is a game I made for my first day of winter camp. You could also use it if you run out of stuff to do.
Odd one out: Students work in teams and choose which word is the odd one out. Points given to the team with the right answer. Could work for small or big classes. Answers are given in the ppt.

Offline leejs

• Veteran
Re: Ist day/ filler/ end of day game: ODD ONE OUT
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2011, 04:19:11 PM »
Here is an activity in the same vein. However, each question has more than one answer so the students have to chose which doesn't belong and then say why it is different. I used it for my fifth/sixth grade camp and it worked pretty well.

Recent Lesson Plans

New York, New York by RDW27
[Today at 02:55:07 AM]

Shuffle Cup "Bomb Game" by 10moku
[Yesterday at 11:06:29 PM]

Lessons on articles - "a" and "the" by johnnyts
[Yesterday at 09:31:02 PM]

Free English resources by toddsqui
[Yesterday at 09:05:41 PM]

The time you have left in jellybeans by yngwie
[Yesterday at 06:46:51 PM]

Buy/Sell/Trade