September 17, 2014, 06:26:15 AM

Author Topic: frozen pipes burst in apartment  (Read 5179 times)

Offline heffneh

• Adventurer
frozen pipes burst in apartment
« on: December 26, 2010, 05:39:28 PM »
What a nightmare. The pipes froze in my apartment and burst. My school is being really good about it and were talking about getting the room owner to pay for it?? I'm not sure what that means, but I'm expecting I'll have to pay something. Has anyone had this experience? Or how much do you think it will cost to fix? I'm worried about the water damage. It's tucked away in a little utilities closet, but the wiring back there must have gotten pretty messed up.

*sigh* there goes my security deposit.

Offline DMZ

• Super Waygook
Re: frozen pipes burst in apartment
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 05:58:35 PM »
As far as I know none of this is your fault so the landlady/lord will have to pay for all the repairs since he owns the property (it's in his best interest in the first place). Also, it shouldn't have an effect on your security deposit since again, it's not your fault. If you have a party and break all the furniture then you would lose your security deposit.

Offline Davey

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 06:05:56 PM »
As far as I know none of this is your fault so the landlady/lord will have to pay for all the repairs since he owns the property (it's in his best interest in the first place). Also, it shouldn't have an effect on your security deposit since again, it's not your fault. If you have a party and break all the furniture then you would lose your security deposit.

while i agree it isn't your fault, don't be too sure you won't be liable for any damages:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,3828.0.html

------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

Offline younameit

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 09:50:33 AM »
I came home Sunday evening after a weekend trip away to find that my andol and hot water is not working. I can turn on my water and it flows well when the faucet is on cold. If I turn the faucet on warm/hot it is at very low flow almost to a drip.

Any ideas on what caused this? Frozen pipes? Bad boiler?  Also any idea how to fix this would be great. 
Freedom is like farts... You enjoy yours but usually can't stand other's...

Offline divine

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 10:10:37 AM »
Last Winter, I returned from vacation only to find the pipes in the house frozen. The school blamed me and said I had to pay 5 million, or do additional after school classes. At the time, I did not think it was wrong, what do you think?

Offline adamwatch

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 10:17:56 AM »
In China the school looks after everything to do with your apartment and pays all the bills. In Korea foreigners get a poor deal and they blame us if anything goes wrong. As far as I am concerned its their apartment we just pay rent, so it's up to them to fix any problems.

Adam

Offline ktull012

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 10:33:20 AM »
Wow, I hadn't even thought of that possiblility. Should I leave the heat on while I'm on vacation? I don't even leave it on when i go to work...

Offline honeymooners

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 10:39:12 AM »
We came home on Friday to no water and the pipes didn't thaw again until sunday afternoon, (christmas day showers at a friends house!) We've been told by the school that for the rest of winter we need to leave a tap running a little 24 hours a day to stop it happening again.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 10:44:26 AM »
I came home Sunday evening after a weekend trip away to find that my andol and hot water is not working. I can turn on my water and it flows well when the faucet is on cold. If I turn the faucet on warm/hot it is at very low flow almost to a drip.

Any ideas on what caused this? Frozen pipes? Bad boiler?  Also any idea how to fix this would be great. 

Brad, the exact same thing happened to me on Saturday. Turn your hot water taps on and turn your boiler / ondol on max. Then wait for an hour or so. Eventually it'll thaw. That's what happened to mine. Just make sure you have the faucets in the position of on, even if nothing's coming out.

Offline younameit

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 10:51:32 AM »
My andol does not work as well. I left it on all last night and this morning it did not warm up at all. I also let the water run in the bathroom, but seem to not do anything. Any idea why my andol would not heat up? Can it be because the weather or do you think it is just the boiler deal.

Offline WorkingTitle3484

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 04:52:38 PM »
You're absolutely not liable for frozen pipes.  This can be expensive and is completely upto the landlord.  Have your Korean co-teacher speak to the landlord about it. 

I worked construction in The States and had to deal with frozen pipes; it's no fun.  But, unless you were dumping hot wax down the drains or something, you're not obligated to pay jack.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 04:55:06 PM by robyoung3484 »
You get what you give :)

Offline Koradian

• Fanatical Supporter!
  • Super Waygook
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 04:55:02 PM »
You're absolutely not liable for frozen pipes.  This can be expensive and is completely upto the landlord.  Have your Korean co-teacher speak to the landlord about it.

It all depends on the contract you have with your landlord. You need to read the fine print. Only after I signed my contract I found out that I a liable for all repairs. Shitty deal but it is what is it.

But I agree that if precautions need to be taken inorder to avoid having your pipes freeze on you (like leaving your boiler on), this is something that should be explained to you by your school.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 04:57:41 PM by Koradian »

Offline younameit

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 04:57:06 PM »
What is the best way to unfreeze these gas boiler pipes myself? Hair dryer? Hot soaked towel? Let the professionals handle it?

Offline jehall

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 05:23:46 PM »
You need to leave your heat on at a decent temperature if it's freezing outside. If you turned off your heat while you go on vacation or for large parts of the day, then they probably could say it's your fault.

Offline younameit

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2010, 05:27:25 PM »
I went away for the weekend and came back Sunday evening. Floor heating does not work and same for hot water. Can I fix this myself? Maybe a hairdryer to the pipes?

Offline heffneh

• Adventurer
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2010, 02:24:48 PM »
Good news about the frozen pipe burst situation! Yeah, it was scary when it happened, but my school was so good about it. The co-teacher offered for me to stay at her place, and the school's maintence men actually came over the next day and fixed the pipes. There were some valves that had cracked when the ice formed, and they needed to be replaced. But yeah, I learned my lesson. Always, always have the heat on!

My co-teacher said that when she first got married, she and her husband would turn the heat off whenever they weren't in the house. So the huge change in off, on, off, on made their heating bill extremely high. She said just leave the heat on low when you're not at home, but don't do on off, on off.

Offline eternitybound

• Waygookin
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2011, 03:23:49 PM »
Something is wrong with my heater.  My pipes have not frozen but I'm trying to find out what to do to stop them from freezing.  I called my neighbour and co teacher and trying to get the translation with all the broken English still leaves me baffeled.  Can anyone put light on it.

This red light went on on the heater which has been on non stop for the past week or so.  Well turns out the water in the tank up top is frozen and it's connected to the boiler so the heater flashed a red light and the neighbour came in and turned off my heater?

I think she said wait for a few hours for the water to fill up again and then you can turn the heater on again.  But it's very cold won't the pipes freeze if I can't turn it on?

A friend told me I can go up and fill it up by myself but I'm not sure what tank it is or how to do it. 

Should I turn my heater on or off.  My neighbour walked off and my co teacher said somethings that are very unclear.  I'm not from a cold country and am clueless on what I'm supposed to do in these  situations. 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 03:32:48 PM by eternitybound »

Offline bern

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2011, 04:42:39 PM »
I woke up this morning and my hot water didn't work, my floor has been cranking for about 7 hours now and the hot faucets are open but nothing. If I leave the hot faucets open in the bathroom and turn the cold on the kitchen then cold water comes out in the bathroom!? Water must be backing up past the blockage somehow and redirecting.

I'm in an officetel on the 12th floor, the high wind yesterday had forced the window slats in the boiler cupboard open when I checked this morning so I guess I'll just have to wait it out.

Games for Young Learners : www.smalltalkesl.com

Offline bern

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2011, 05:42:40 PM »
Update - 10 minutes with a hairdryer onto the insulating jackets of he pipes coming directly out of the bottom of the boiler fixed it.
Games for Young Learners : www.smalltalkesl.com

Offline Epistemology

• Expert Waygook
  • Philosopher extraordinaire
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 12:05:33 AM »
Some pipes in the floor above me must have burst because I now have water leaking into my apartment from the light fitting on my bathroom ceiling, and my friends on the floor above also have the same problem in their bedroom. My educated guess is that the person in the apt above me didnt give a damn and have had their ondol pipes burst. My water pressure is fine, my heating is working perfectly and I can got hot and cold water so I know I've done nothing wrong, Hell ive been wasting money by keeping my heating on to stop this crap despite the fact that Gas is absurdly expensive here in the boonies of the boonies of Korea.
The more you know.

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment