October 31, 2014, 05:53:15 AM

Author Topic: frozen pipes burst in apartment  (Read 5312 times)

Offline Eros

• Veteran
Re: frozen pipes burst in apartment
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 09:53:28 AM »
In respect of the liability issue, I know for a fact that in England it's the landlord's duty to carry out repairs and not the tenant's unless the tenant has been negligent. However it's important to remember that we are in Korea where it is commonplace for contracts to be disregarded.

My advice, if payments are demanded of u, think carefully and tactically on how to go about not paying rather than just refusing citing it's not my bill to pay (which would work in the UK and presumably the States).

Offline aramella

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 11:11:28 AM »
Most Korean heaters have a button you are supposed to push when you leave the apartment. It keeps the heater on minimally, and prevents things from freezing.  외출  I was gone for 10 days, and nothing was frozen.  While I was gone it was below freezing everyday and we got dumped with snow (Pohang)

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 06:14:20 PM »
Well - this just happened to me. And SMOE and my school both refused to pay anything for it, so now I'm paying 350,000 won to have hot water and heat again.

I'm disgruntled.

Offline eveliens

• Super Waygook
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 09:54:24 AM »
Most Korean heaters have a button you are supposed to push when you leave the apartment.

I used this and still came home to gushing water after a 2 week vacation. My school was less than helpful to my panicked call about the flood (thankfully outside!) and said they wouldn't come to deal with it that night because it was so late. Thankfully I figured out how to turn the water off and bailed the excess down the gutter with a mixing bowl and turned the ondol off! (my sink/toilet still has water with no problem). The worse part was while I was doing that it took my coteacher a half hour to call me back and tell me no one was coming, sigh.

I think the fix on my end will be easy as it seems a joint cracked, not the actual pipe, but I'm afraid it leaked to the two floors below and caused damage  ??? I was warned I might be liable for the damage because I went on vacation and wasn't here to supervise (and not because korean plumbing in the coldest province is completely inadequate and the pipes are in the process of rusting through naturally).

The guy is coming sometime today (no one has told me when of course) so I'll see the damage to my wallet and hot water soon enough.

Edit: I was right. It had nothing to do with me at all... the pipe was rusted through. It was literally dropping huge flakes of rust on my kitchen floor as the plumber took it out to his truck. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture but there's a big pile of rust outside on the stairs where he set it down. 100, 000 won my school/landlord won't pay for and a suddenly really warm ondol... it could've been worse.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 10:19:37 AM by eveliens »

Offline olivergrant

• Explorer
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2011, 10:02:48 AM »
외출 button! never turn it off in winter.

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment