November 01, 2014, 12:44:51 PM

Author Topic: Good teachers book for a Waygook teacher?  (Read 1065 times)

Offline anthonybrooks

• Veteran
Good teachers book for a Waygook teacher?
« on: December 29, 2010, 03:58:52 PM »
 I have been in Korea for 2 years and have recently just started teaching at a new Hagwan.  I have been using 'Lets Go English' and they are proving to be not so good for a foreign teacher as they are grammar based and not so fun. My boss and co-workers told me that I could choose a book if I wanted to, so I was just wondering If any of you out there had any ideas for a good book to use?

Offline BBetz1985

• Veteran
Re: Good teachers book for a Waygook teacher?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 04:04:03 PM »
Don't use any Backpack books, they have no structure and suck in terms of their Korean crossover ability. I have been using a book call Sherpa, (Like the mountain guide) and have had a lot of suceess since it uses a lot of translation. My co-teacher's dont like it as much, but I love it, as when I am teaching camps I am alone and my students can understand it.

Offline anthonybrooks

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 04:15:09 PM »
Don't use any Backpack books, they have no structure and suck in terms of their Korean crossover ability. I have been using a book call Sherpa, (Like the mountain guide) and have had a lot of suceess since it uses a lot of translation. My co-teacher's dont like it as much, but I love it, as when I am teaching camps I am alone and my students can understand it.

Thanks for your help, I will try and find it at the bookstore and have a look...

Offline anthonybrooks

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 07:10:42 PM »
any other suggestions?

Offline madagoldman

• Explorer
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 09:03:01 PM »
i use the I'm a talk king series for elementary. Each chapter starts with a comic book. Although, I think you should make some interesting games that you can use with the lessons target dialog to supplement extra time.

Offline anthonybrooks

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 05:32:55 PM »
i use the I'm a talk king series for elementary. Each chapter starts with a comic book. Although, I think you should make some interesting games that you can use with the lessons target dialog to supplement extra time.
Thanks a lot, any suggestions for higher elementary/middle school?  I just want something fun, not grammar based with plenty of stuff to read, stories and questions games and activities...

Offline anthonybrooks

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 09:19:56 PM »
Has anyone got any other ideas for a good teachers book?

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment