September 03, 2014, 05:50:02 AM

Author Topic: Camp Cooking - Recipes and Teaching Materials  (Read 52139 times)

Offline jakeanz

• Explorer
Re: Elementary School Cooking Camp
« Reply #120 on: December 13, 2011, 02:27:06 PM »
My co-teachers and i have planned to incorporate cooking into our magic themed camp.
So we're going to be making 'potions'.  And by that i mean smoothie class.  The teachers are well excited and we're now thinking of doing one more cooking class.
I'm thinking that i'll be able to twist one of those great recipes into a magic theme, so thanks!

Offline Suza

• Super Waygook
Peanut Butter Balls
« Reply #121 on: December 13, 2011, 03:44:25 PM »
Well easy to make and require no cooking. You can add chocolate chip cookies or whatever you like to the mix.

Here's a simple PPT to accompany it and the recipe.

Offline jollyjeju

• Adventurer
Chocolate and Orange Parfait
« Reply #122 on: December 22, 2011, 05:03:34 PM »
It should be more appropriately named Orange and Chocolate Parfait.  Great idea for winter camp that I did for a Saturday class - the idea came from a friend who also did this lesson.  All the materials can be purchased cheap, and students loved it!!  Basically, a cup, add some orange slices, drop in a cupcake, soak with hot chocolate, add some ice cream, top with orange slices and cocoa powder, and enjoy! 

Offline juliat.h

• Waygookin
Re: Camp Cooking - Recipes and Teaching Materials
« Reply #123 on: December 26, 2011, 09:46:44 PM »
Thanks for the ideas... Also another good idea to get the kids excited is do an iron chef competition. After you have taught all of the basic vocab, food, etc. Each group will get the same ingredients (they can be random) and have a certain amount of time to come up with a recipe and creation. Then they will get marked on taste, presentation, creativity, script (explain how they made it, what is in it etc in english).

Offline Lion Teacher

• Explorer
« Reply #124 on: December 27, 2011, 09:14:10 PM »
Here's a really simple powerpoint I made for a 3rd and 4th grade winter camp cooking lesson. It teaches them how to make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and ramyeon. There is also a hidden picture game at the end to review the vocabular (stir, pour, kettle, etc.)

Offline Shoeless

• Explorer
« Reply #125 on: December 29, 2011, 08:36:13 AM »
Microwave Peanut Brittle - takes about 15 minutes and makes about a 9x13 pan worth - cost is about 3,000-3,500 won

Ingredients

1 and 1/2 C - roasted peanuts - no skins
1C granulated sugar
1/2 C light corn syrup
1T - butter
1t - vanilla (powder works)
1t - baking soda
pinch of salt or to taste (fun teaching the kids the meaning of pinch)

Instructions

1. In a medium sized glass bowl, mix peanuts, sugar and syrup
2. Microwave on high for 7 minutes (don't need to stir) - handle with oven mitts or tea towels
3. Mix in butter and vanilla until butter melts.
4. Microwave on high for 3 minutes (again no need to stir)
5. Mix in baking soda (the soda starts a process of set-up, so don't lolligag here - mixture gets whitish and foamy)
6. Pour onto lightly greased surface and spread reasonably thin - the 9x13 gives you a guide for thickness - I grease a wooden spatula to spread it - not sure it helps that much but you need to be pretty quick with the pouring and spreading.
7. Cool - doesn't take a long time.
8. Break it up and enjoy!

I made this with my grade 1 and 2 students - they mixed the first set of ingredients and prepared the others (I handled the hot bowl and did the spreading)

I found one batch is more than adequate to send 4 students home with ample peanut brittle.

Clean-up - soak stuff for a while and it softens up and dissolves - I have 4 sets of equipment so I don't have to clean and reuse in a class.  Just bag stuff and take it to a sink and put it to soak.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 10:25:46 AM by Shoeless »

Offline cousinsteve

• Adventurer
« Reply #126 on: December 29, 2011, 12:33:28 PM »
I do a lot of cooking with my students as both they and I love it! Attached is a RAR file that contains 70 easy and suitable lesson plans for kids that I've made. Enjoy and happy cooking!
Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.

Offline Rilakuma

• Adventurer
« Reply #127 on: December 29, 2011, 04:24:53 PM »
Puppy Chow

Made in groups of 4 - 7, yields 1 cup per student
Prep: 30 min
Cooking Time: 45 min

Trail Mix

Individual student makes, yields 1.5 cups per student
Prep: 10 min
Cooking Time: 30 min

Warm up video: Muppet's Swedish Chef, Popcorn Shrimp
http://youtu.be/AvDvTnTGjgQ

I had two other teachers helping me. I recommend at least one other teacher to supervise students. Also, I planned for students to eat Puppy Chow during this class. We saved the Trail Mix recipe for last, wrote the student's name on their bag, and ate it for snack the next day.

Preparation list: Note to student's parents to bring some supplies for cooking class (cuts down on cost)
Shopping List: Ingredient list, list of tools and any prep materials, ingredient quantity for each student and group
Recipe Card: Puppy Chow recipe card & Trail Mix recipe card (students record ingredients the add)
Vocabulary List: Cooking terms and ingredient vocab
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 04:51:47 PM by Rilakuma »

Offline andreid87

• Waygookin
« Reply #128 on: December 30, 2011, 04:05:22 PM »
so heres what i will be doing for my cooking class, ideally i wanted to do something different but my co-teacher does not want to use something hot, or actually cooking something so were doing PB+J and Ham and Cheese (no tomatoes) sandwiches. The powerpoint is made up from two borrowed powerpoints (thanks authors), and the worksheet i made myself...so enjoy, the reason why its so short is because it is supposed to only take up 80 minutes (if that)

Offline aggy

• Explorer
« Reply #129 on: January 01, 2012, 03:28:25 PM »
I got this idea from another native English teacher and it's a recipe for banana pancakes and scrambled eggs. I didn't have time to add any pictures so feel free to add your own~~
I tried this in a boys middle school and girls middle school. The boys liked it better~

Offline nels6138

• Adventurer
« Reply #130 on: January 09, 2012, 11:18:59 AM »
Five Minute Microwave Cake

Someone else posted the recipe for this in this thread and I made a powerpoint for the ingredients and instructions. There's another "recipe card" post somewhere here in this thread, too. I made the kids write down the ingredients and instructions on their recipe card.

I have about 32 kids, I put them in groups of two to make the cakes (16 cakes). My school bought the supplies and everything cost about 40k won.

Shopping list:
Two one kilo bags sugar
Two small bags flour
One jug of milk
One big bottle of vegetable oil
Three small bags chocolate chips
Three small bags cocoa
Two cartons of eggs (make sure you have one egg for each cake)
Sprinkles and M&Ms to decorate
Powder sugar + milk if you want to make frosting

I also found some "colored sugar powder" to color the frosting, but it doesn't make very bright colors and the cakes are so dark it doesn't really show up, I wouldn't bother with it.

I did this camp last Thursday with half the kids, went really well. Remember to tell them to level off their tablespoons or their cakes will be too big and not fit in the mugs. Also, make sure there's a plate in the microwave as the cakes will run over the side of the mug and make a mess. Too much cocoa will make the cakes not as tasty, but the kids want more "chocolate," they don't know that cooking chocolate isn't sweet, so watch them!

Good luck and happy cooking!

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 01:00:38 PM by nels6138 »

Offline s0nflwr

• Explorer
« Reply #131 on: January 09, 2012, 02:52:00 PM »
Hi Everyone!
I wanted to share with you guys the handbook we used during our camp...
We ended up doing an entire week of camp based on cooking. It was quite fun. We got the kids little chef hats and they had to brings aprons and other utensils to really feel like they were mini-chef's! ^^ SO fun!

We used A LOT of great ideas given by other waygookers for our lessons and the kids really enjoyed everything that they made even if some things didn't work out QUITE as well as they had hoped for ^^
Some hits: Cookies, Ice Cream, Hamburgers, Deviled Eggs, Smoothies
I made the book in the hwp (korean) program so I suggest that if you don't the program at home, to open it up at school since most of the korean teachers will all have the program.
Hope this handbooks helps you out in some way or another ^^

I also added a lot of the fonts that I used for the workbook. If it doesn't line up, it's probably because of the fonts ^^
I attached the PPT of the lessons that I personally taught, but if you guys need any other PPT's let me know and I'll get them from my other Korean teachers ^^
Enjoy! If you guys need anything else, let me know!

Offline Shoeless

• Explorer
Best Chocolate Cake in a Mug
« Reply #132 on: January 11, 2012, 08:25:36 AM »
Okay, I tested and messed around and researched and finally came up with a recipe that is pretty much no fail and tastes great.

As attached.  I forgot to add in the recipe that I sprinkle the top of the cake with those colorful little sprinkles you can buy at most large stores like Emart.  I do this as the cake comes out of the microwave.

Offline krtastic

• Veteran
« Reply #133 on: January 12, 2012, 05:28:49 PM »
One of the campers this year had an egg allergy so I figured out how to make some sugar cookies without egg. Here's the recipe.

3 cups of flour
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 1/2 cups of margarine
1 1/2 cups of sugar
1/2 cup of applesauce (all I did was boil a few apples and blend them for the applesauce since its hard to find here)
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract

They're pretty sweet so you can cut back some of the sugar if you like. My kids loved them and had a blast cutting them out into shapes/eating them.

Offline nels6138

• Adventurer
« Reply #134 on: January 13, 2012, 10:04:18 AM »
Made pancakes for cooking class yesterday. Make sure to show the kids what the batter needs to look like, mine kept stirring until it was liquid and we had to add more flour. Also, make sure they're not frying them in oil, just use a little oil to grease the pan.

Offline Steinbeck5

• Explorer
« Reply #135 on: January 13, 2012, 01:29:11 PM »
I just did the ice cream in a bag for my winter camp, and it went very well.  It isn't a light undertaking, and requires much planning and organization.  Otherwise, it has the potential to be a disaster.  It's also quite messy either way, actually.

One pointer:  I think it's pretty crucial to stress that the air should be squeezed out of both the large and small bags (air being a good insulator, at least from what I remember from science class way back when).  You want as much contact between the ice and milk/sugar as possible.  This is how you can get some decently hard ice cream, and not just some liquidy goop.   I did it with 20 kids and they all made great ice cream.  It's definitely worth it.

Oh, and they will love you forever if you remember to bring some crushed oreos/sprinkles/syrup.

Offline MyOhMy1213

• Explorer
Re: "Western Food" lesson
« Reply #136 on: January 17, 2012, 12:06:06 AM »
I used this and kids liked it alot!

Offline ariybird

• Veteran
« Reply #137 on: February 13, 2012, 03:14:24 PM »
Hey! Did this for my farewell/Valentine's Day lesson. But for those of you looking for an easy recipe that involves no stove tops or ovens, here it goes. (You do, however, need a hot water boiler).

Chocolate Fondue

300 g of chocolate chips (i.e. 3 of the little Korean bags sold at Homeplus)
1 cup of whipping cream (don't whip it though)
hot water
2 bowls- preferably metal and one slightly bigger than the other - you'll be stacking them...larger bowl on top)
rubber spatula

1. Pour hot water into the smaller bowl.
2. Put chocolate chips in the larger bowl.
3. Put the bowl of chocolate ON bowl containing the water.
(If you know more about cooking, you're actually making a double boiler. If my directions are confusing, look up 'homemade double boiler' on the internet.)
4. Let the chocolate melt.
5. Add cream
6. Stir. After a minute or two, it will start looking like fondue.
7. Pour into bowls for the students.
8. Let them dip whatever their heart desires inside!

My students have really enjoyed this. It's a pretty easy recipe. I've set up a movie so they don't get antsy while waiting for it to reach fondue consistency. This recipe was enough for 30 students to share at tables of 8 and everyone felt like they got enough. I announced the class ahead of time and the kids bought things they wanted to dip from home. Best of all, wash up mainly consisted of pouring hot water over the dishes and them wiping clean. All you need is a hot water boiler--something you should already have in your classroom/office.

Tips
1. Don't get water in your chocolate! It'll make it hard for it to stay appropriate melty
2. Don't over stir. It' s tempting to stir alot while the chocolate is melting. You only need to stir once or twice. Otherwise it'll 'seize' i.e. start making hard lumps and it'll be hard to melt back down
3. Use room temperature whipping cream. It keeps the chocolate from getting cold and hard when you pour the cream in. If it does, it's okay, it'll just take a little longer to get into fondue consistency.

If something bad happens, the recipe has been pretty forgiving. It sounds harder than it is. This was my first time making fondue ever. And it worked brilliantly.

Good luck. The kids will love you forever.

Offline sylvee16

• Explorer
« Reply #138 on: February 27, 2012, 04:18:23 PM »
For winter camp, I read "If You Give a Moose a Muffin" to my 3rd graders. We learned simple facts about moose and made muffins afterwards.

For more stuff, check this link:

Offline TeachPeace

• Explorer
« Reply #139 on: March 05, 2012, 09:45:48 PM »
Does anyone have a lesson on the system of measurement required for cooking/baking.  Such as understanding tablespoons and tblsp, and how to translate Korean measurements into English measurements? 
Thanks

Recent Lesson Plans

New York, New York by RDW27
[Today at 02:55:07 AM]

Shuffle Cup "Bomb Game" by 10moku
[Yesterday at 11:06:29 PM]

Lessons on articles - "a" and "the" by johnnyts
[Yesterday at 09:31:02 PM]

Free English resources by toddsqui
[Yesterday at 09:05:41 PM]

The time you have left in jellybeans by yngwie
[Yesterday at 06:46:51 PM]