April 20, 2014, 06:37:19 AM

Author Topic: What will you do to stay happy over the holidays?  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Awesomo

• Adventurer
What will you do to stay happy over the holidays?
« on: January 03, 2011, 11:45:46 AM »
Hi, everyone! I stayed up late last night writing an article for people that may have to deskwarm or perhaps they have lots of time away from school. Unfortunately, the end result of staying up so late was to wake up just now instead of earlier like I had planned. Anyway, I hope the morning finds you well.

I came here with the idea of promoting the article and hoping that some of you would like it, but then I realized I'd much rather have feedback about it than just dumping it here. Sooo....if you don't mind, what will you do this winter vacation? If you've got plans that aren't listed, what are they?

If you're looking for ideas, here's the article: http://esloutpost.com/article/get/1167357750/Keeping%20Busy%20and%20Happy%20Over%20the%20Holidays

As for me, as it says at the bottom, I'll be working hard on the site to make it easier/simpler/nicer. Hoping I'm finished by the end of February. Oh, and I'm traveling home to visit friends and family for the first time in 2.5 years of living abroad. I booked a flight to Texas and back for $1,260 at the end of November using Kayak! Woo! :)

Let me know what you think!
ESL Outpost - Tools and Information for Teachers Living Abroad

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
Re: What will you do to stay happy over the holidays?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 11:47:32 AM »
I'm off to Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia for four weeks. I'm really excited.

I plan on eating everything.

Offline Awesomo

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 11:54:21 AM »
^ ^ I'm jealous. I spent 3 weeks in Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia last summer with my girlfriend. I loved Ha Long Bay (and wish I had planned to stay longer on the little hotel-boat there), but as a country, I fell in love with Laos. Particularly Luang Prabang (relaxation, night shopping) and Vang Vieng (tubing, rope swings at the bars, great food).

Well, at least I'm going to get home food I haven't had in years! :)

Offline uearob

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 01:08:41 PM »
I'm going back to the UK for 9 days in 3 weeks. I've only been here since August but I want to do some Scuba on Jeju this summer. It means I wouldn't go back to the UK for over a year from now which seems like a bit long to me. In the other week and a half I plan to get out of Seoul, go to a ski resort for a weekend and head down to Busan, possible for Lunar new year.
It's going to be a great Winter Break

Offline emmy

• Waygookin
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 02:15:43 PM »
I'm heading to Vietnam for 11 days, perhaps make a short trip to Cambodia. VERY excited, I'm meeting my sister there!! If anyone has been and has any recommendations I would love to hear them! I'll probably only be in HCMC, not Hanoi...

Offline rlecloux

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 02:40:59 PM »
Great site!  I think something you can add could be a general "learn a new _______." So this could be a dance, sport, musical instrument, etc. For example, I'm considering taking a swing dance or salsa dance class or even possibly taking piano lessons if I can find something reasonable.  This is also in addition to doing some traveling and studying Korean!  But, I think finding/starting a new hobby is a great way to motivate you! 

Offline fmlaugust

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 04:09:18 PM »
I'm heading back home to Texas for a month after spending a little over 2 years in Korea.  Seems silly but I'm looking forward to seeing my family, dog, driving, and Mexican food!  May come back to Korea a little bit heavier!

Offline isanghan

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 05:20:30 PM »
I'll be going to my family's home for three weeks.
I usually take a one-week holiday at Christmas, which means with 24+ hours of travelling, I don't get to spend much time. But I'm really forward to taking some time to relax over my winter holiday.

Offline Awesomo

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 11:05:52 PM »
Wow, that sure is a whole lot of travelers. I kind of expected as much, but it makes me feel lazy/poor for staying at home most of my vacations so far.

Offline Irishcailin

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 12:02:35 PM »
I'm going home to Ireland for a month on Saturday. Can't wait for some good home cooked meals, a warm pub and friends and family.  ;D
I will hopefully do some travelling around too.

Offline Koradian

• Fanatical Supporter!
  • Super Waygook
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 12:15:26 PM »
Canada on a 19 day vacation! Long overdue.

Offline Gunpo_Erin

• Super Waygook
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 01:04:12 PM »
Going home to Nicaragua( I am Canadian but moved to Nicaragua 10 years ago) for a month on January 22nd.  Can't wait for some R&R with my family, my dogs, my friends.  Some beach time, some surfing in Costa Rica and a trip to Brazil to see my brother!

Recent Lesson Plans

Middle School Students Don't Like Anything by YounguhTchr
[Today at 03:23:11 AM]

Connect Four by powelldr
[Yesterday at 11:56:50 PM]

Writing College Admissions Essays 수시 by Landfried
[Yesterday at 11:13:54 AM]

Need some help with materials! by Wintermute
[Yesterday at 06:37:16 AM]

"Teaching philosophy" by Wintermute
[Yesterday at 04:41:22 AM]

Buy/Sell/Trade