April 20, 2014, 12:51:37 AM

Author Topic: Where can I buy an EReader?  (Read 2393 times)

Offline Sara

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Expert Waygook
Where can I buy an EReader?
« on: January 03, 2011, 02:52:52 PM »
I'm looking into buying an EReader and I'm wondering what my options are. I've looked on GMarket but there were only 3 in the 275,000 range. Wifi would be nice, but the most important part is that the EReader and the books I buy for it are affordable. Has anyone else bought an EReader here?

Offline honeymooners

• Veteran
Re: Where can I buy an EReader?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 02:56:09 PM »
amazon.com ships to korea so you could buy a kindle from them. The free 3G connection also works here according to thier website.

Offline Awesomo

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 02:59:02 PM »
Unfortunately, I bought mine on GMarket. My thinking was that I was paying extra for it so they would take care of things if it got held up at customs. They did not. In fact, I have to pay additional tax when customs saw it. I ended up paying $30-40 too much. Just order from Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Y27P3M?ie=UTF8&tag=esou-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B002Y27P3M
ESL Outpost - Tools and Information for Teachers Living Abroad

Offline RufusW

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 03:19:02 PM »
I'm getting a new Kindle sent over from the UK.  If it's taken out of it's packaging by my mum and put as a gift, I should be able to avoid any tax.

The 3G was a major reason for me getting it.

Kindle's use .mobi files.  There are plenty of ways to get *ahem* free versions of books.  Classics (pre-1920s?) are out of copyright so free versions exist on places like 'gutenburg'.
50+ Powerpoint templates on Waygook - here
Link your school and home computers for free with Dropbox - here

Offline suzettec

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 03:24:36 PM »
I just got a Kindle for Chrismas.  I did not get the 3G since both have the wi-fi already.  The 3G just lets you download from anywhere.  But since there are so many free wifi spots here in Korea and for most of us at home I used the extra $50 that I would have spent on the 3G to buy books.

Offline RufusW

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 03:33:33 PM »
3G certainly isn't important if you're staying in one place, just use your normal internet access.  I specifically bought one so I could take it traveling.  I can check emails and check a little news without getting caught up in finding an internet cafe.  The limited use should stop me wanting to surf, which isn't something to do much while abroad.

It's a pity lonely planets are still not very good on the Kindle.  You can get them in pdf format but the Kindle doesn't handle that well.  So I'll also be using Wikitravel.

Sorry for the derail, I'd certainly go for a Kindle and get it shipped over from the U.S.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 03:35:07 PM by RufusW »

Offline madmik

• Explorer
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 03:40:09 PM »
my sister visited me recently so i had a kindle sent to her address in the states so she could hand it over when she landed. so far, the kindle works beautifully. i have downloaded numerous free books through amazon's free book collection, and there are also torrents floating around where you can download a bundle of books easily. i've also tried reading manga/graphic novels on my kindle (it works).

i can also connect to the 3g and wireless networks for no charge, although when i tried internet browsing (facebook addiction) my kindle froze up and i had to reboot.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 05:28:53 PM by madmik »

Offline RufusW

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 04:52:46 PM »
i've also tried reading manga/graphic novels on my kindle (it works).

In pdf?  Works well enough to be comfortable?

Offline madmik

• Explorer
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 05:28:17 PM »
i've also tried reading manga/graphic novels on my kindle (it works).

In pdf?  Works well enough to be comfortable?

i used a program called mangle:
http://foosoft.net/mangle/

i have not tried reading manga in pdf but i assume it would work as well. using mangle, however, i have found it to be super user-friendly and easier to sort image files. the output is not bad either.

Offline infogoddess

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Super Waygook
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 05:48:06 PM »
buy a Sony Reader as it handles many formats and doesn't have DRM issues- I actually bought a cheap Chinese I-pad 7" knock-off for $78 on E-bay and use it - with a Kindle you have to maintain an account with Amazon to keep access to your books and they will randomly pull books from your collection for reasons unknown to you

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-7-Touch-Notebook-WiFi-Android-MID-Tablet-PC-UMPC-/260701786090?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb3098fea
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 05:54:11 PM by infogoddess »
"The Bhagavad Gita - that ancient Indian Yogic text - says that it is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection. So now I have started living my own life." Elizabeth Gilbert

Offline Awesomo

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 06:32:47 PM »
Well, to be clear on the post above me, Sony and some other readers to have advantages over the Kindle. Almost all readers will read .ePub format files while the Kindle will not. This is pretty much something done to protect Amazon's business model. However, you can always convert between various file formats using Calibre and if you're so inclined you can remove any DRM from your purchased books.

Amazon has also only ever pulled one book from people's library and it was a publishing issue (a mistake, I'm pretty sure). In response, I believe they refunded everyone's money. If you were to purchase the book, remove the DRM, and convert it to another format, they wouldn't have touched the book. It would have remained in your library. Any books you add to your library personally, they have shown no history of touching.

The only disadvantage that nobody here has mentioned is the lack of an ability to "borrow" eBooks from certain public libraries. Some readers will do that, but they need to be compatible with ePub file format.

I believe DRM is used/supported on pretty much all eReaders, by the way.

Links:
Calibre: http://calibre-ebook.com/
Remove DRM: http://stream-recorder.com/forum/remove-drm-amazon-kindle-ebooks-kindlefix-py-t5430.html

Offline rainesbaines

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 10:16:55 PM »
I bought a Kindle wifi+3g and had it shipped to my brother in the States, who shipped it to me.  I LOVE IT.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 10:24:24 PM by rainesbaines »

Offline infogoddess

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Super Waygook
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 10:24:39 PM »
just so you know, earlier last year Amazon simply pulled the plug on all Macmillan books because of a pricing dispute with them - they have also pulled the plug on other e-books because someone doesn't like the content (no, I'm not talking about the pedophilia case)

just remember, that unlike a paper copy, you don't really own the e-book version as it comes with a very specific license unless it is a public-domain text.

http://www.businessinsider.com/henry-blodget-book-wars-amazon-retaliates-against-publisher-over-ebook-pricing-pulls-books-from-shelves-2010-1

http://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2009/04/23/kindle-failings-serves-as-early-warning/

I've been a bibliophile as either a reader, librarian or bookseller for over 50 years and I can only reiterate that I would never buy a Kindle but I love e-books

"The Bhagavad Gita - that ancient Indian Yogic text - says that it is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection. So now I have started living my own life." Elizabeth Gilbert

Offline Awesomo

• Adventurer
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 11:04:52 PM »
Had no idea about the MacMillan thing. But yea, it basically comes down to errors/price disputes with publishers. In spirit, I completely agree with infogoddess. In practice, I'd say the convenience of the device matters more. Look at the hardware and the availability of books and decide that way. A whole lot of companies make good e-readers. I went with the Kindle mostly because occasionally they have books that other sellers don't have. If I feel like any of my books are in jeopardy I'm going to remove the DRM and take away Amazon's control.

Thanks for the info, by the way, info!

Offline RufusW

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 11:12:10 PM »
That first link actually supports what Amazon did to Macmillan - trying to stop publisher greed.

But I agree with the second article.  Reducing lending on a device is not good for getting people to read.  But currently, you can remove DRM and move files from a Kindle to another reader and you get many free books.  It seems a decent investment at the mo.

Offline Sara

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Expert Waygook
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 10:35:48 AM »
buy a Sony Reader as it handles many formats and doesn't have DRM issues- I actually bought a cheap Chinese I-pad 7" knock-off for $78 on E-bay and use it - with a Kindle you have to maintain an account with Amazon to keep access to your books and they will randomly pull books from your collection for reasons unknown to you

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-7-Touch-Notebook-WiFi-Android-MID-Tablet-PC-UMPC-/260701786090?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb3098fea

Do you have any problems reading on your screen? I've heard that tablets can cause your eyes to hurt.

Offline Janitor

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Expert Waygook
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 10:53:08 AM »

Do you have any problems reading on your screen? I've heard that tablets can cause your eyes to hurt.

I had a friend last year that some crazy problems with Sony UK over his ereader. The screen broke 3 days after he got it. He had to send it back to the UK and they tried to say that he broke it and then sent him back the wrong ereader that was still broken. It took him 6 months and a lot of hard work by his mom to get the reader back.

I have heard that the Chinese iPad knock-offs are not that bad. The are running on a windows platform and read just about anything.

Offline glitterstarbeau

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 12:46:45 PM »
I brought my Nook with me.  I was told I could buy books in Korea.  It's not very easy to do without changing the IP address.  I usually just have my Dad login and buy the one's I want.  But Gutenberg works just fine.  And I love the Nook's touchscreen.  But I probably should have bought a Kindle, instead.

So, as to where, Amazon.com.

Offline anichion

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 12:55:50 PM »
Does anybody know of any e-book readers made in Korea that use e-ink? I heard Samsung makes a model but I can't think of the model name.

Offline Awesomo

• Adventurer
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 01:22:39 PM »
I brought my Nook with me.  I was told I could buy books in Korea.  It's not very easy to do without changing the IP address.  I usually just have my Dad login and buy the one's I want.  But Gutenberg works just fine.  And I love the Nook's touchscreen.  But I probably should have bought a Kindle, instead.

So, as to where, Amazon.com.
This may be for you: http://esloutpost.com/article/get/1402802257/VPNs%20and%20You

Probably overkill JUST for buying books, but keep it in mind if you've got other things that would help you out.

Recent Lesson Plans

Connect Four by powelldr
[Yesterday at 11:56:50 PM]

Middle School Students Don't Like Anything by druzzrug
[Yesterday at 06:28:59 PM]

Writing College Admissions Essays 수시 by Landfried
[Yesterday at 11:13:54 AM]

Need some help with materials! by Wintermute
[Yesterday at 06:37:16 AM]

"Teaching philosophy" by Wintermute
[Yesterday at 04:41:22 AM]