October 21, 2014, 11:30:17 AM

Author Topic: Bike Rules...  (Read 716 times)

Offline zenbone

• Adventurer
Bike Rules...
« on: January 05, 2011, 03:56:36 AM »
Are there any light or helmet laws in S. Korea for bike riders? Are bikes restricted to roads only or sidewalks are allowed? There are various laws in place in the US to different degrees. I ride bikes frequently and hope to buy one in the very early stage of my relocation. Anyone have any suggestions or experiences i would love to hear them.
thanks

Offline andyfoggy

• Super Waygook
Re: Bike Rules...
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 09:23:10 AM »
if there are any laws nobody cares about them
mountain bikers sometimes wear helmets but its more of a fashion statement
however, people driving their cars do give you a lot of distance when passing, they are scared of hurting a cyclist, there are some exceptions to this of course

Offline Janitor

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Expert Waygook
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 10:54:20 AM »
Cycling or mountain biking is a fairly new trend in Korea and thus there are no "laws" for riders yet. Bikes are pretty much allowed any where and helmets (as stated above) are merely a fashion statement. Mountain Bikers especially are pretty geared up to ride on the sidewalks and pathways.

I would keep to the pathways and sidewalks if you can. Though motorists will give you a lot of space some won't even see you or try to get past you at all costs. You have to be really careful. Thus, sidewalks are better but not by much.

Where I live, they have just built a series of excellent trails and pathways that extend across the city but they are plagued by "zombies" These are the walkers that ignore your horn flashing lights and yelling. They sometimes walk side-by-side blocking the path making it difficult to get by. Again, be careful and happy riding.

Offline Sara

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Expert Waygook
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 11:24:33 AM »
I think it depends on where you're moving. I live in a pretty rural area and everyone rides their bikes on the streets here. I think in the cities people ride on the sidewalks. Just scout it out and see what the norm is in your town.

That being said, driving in Korea is dangerous be it in a car or on a bike. I have never gotten this generous passing space that the above posters are talking about. I've been here 5 months and have already been bumped by cars twice because they thought they could go ahead and pass me when there wasn't space. Drivers are aggressive here so if you do get on the road be careful.

Offline thefrownclown

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 01:45:34 PM »
Be as careful as possible. Look out for everything and don't trust any driver. Even if you have eye contact, it doesn't mean a thing here. Assume they don't see you. I was hit this past November by a motorbike in an intersection, they're everywhere, especially on the sidewalks.

I ride often but not everyday now that it's cold. I stick to a combination of roads and sidewalks but you can never be too careful here. I rode for a year in a rural area and that was better but now that I'm in Seoul it feels like a battle every time I ride.

Be safe, ride on~!

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment