April 25, 2014, 03:58:49 PM

Author Topic: Vaccination requirements for SA?  (Read 813 times)

Offline Olga

• Veteran
Vaccination requirements for SA?
« on: January 06, 2011, 09:21:23 AM »
Hi everyone!

Does anyone know if there are any specific vaccination requirements to enter SA from Asia?

thanks!

Offline torstrom

• Veteran
Re: Vaccination requirements for SA?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 10:25:32 AM »
I think you will need a yellow fever vaccination to get back into the country on your way back.

mteacher

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 10:36:29 AM »
Not sure about the yellow fever.  but where in SA are you headed?  You might need to get some stuff for malaria, but that's only in certain parts (more North) of South Africa.

Offline Olga

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 10:39:40 AM »
thanks friends!

i am heading to good ol' johannesburg and pretoria.  LONG LIVE THE BRAAIS!!!!!!!!!!!

about the yellow fever vaccine...

i need to get it before coming BACK to Korea, right? not sure...

mteacher

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 10:58:52 AM »
Actually now that I think of it you might not need it... I take it you're south african - we never got it when we came here in the first place... would that make a difference?

Offline Olga

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 11:02:06 AM »
touche! although american, i spent my summer in SA and im returning there and i never needed a shot to come into korea.  mostly, i was worried about SA requiring a shot to get THERE.

you can never be too careful!

mteacher

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 11:10:57 AM »
Haha, "long live the braais" then means you really like SA, then! Hehe, so much that I thought you were a South African. :)  Enjoy! i have no idea about the yellow fever though, but I dont *think* you need it

Offline Olga

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 11:28:56 AM »
baie dankie my friend! i really appreciate it! will call embassy and check if i need vaccines!!!

Offline juliehrrs

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 11:38:06 AM »
As a South African we were only recommended to get a hepatitis shot before coming to Korea but it was our choice. As far as getting vaccinations to go to South Africa goes I have heard of people getting a ridiculous amount as a precaution and other people not getting any at all, I suppose it depends how paranoid/safe you want to be. The main things that I would look into is cholera(I don't know if there is a vaccine for that?), and the medicine resistant TB. Otherwise everything else is treatable, well not AIDS :o
Enjoy SA, very jealous.

Offline Olga

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 11:40:44 AM »
hahaha true! i was just worried about SA not allowing me to come in because of a lack of vaccines...so i wanted to double check.  ive been there and i never needed anything else but the malaria med...

thank you!

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment