July 30, 2014, 03:46:51 AM

Author Topic: Weird post meal mouth noise?  (Read 1297 times)

Offline kiwikimchi

• Super Waygook
Weird post meal mouth noise?
« on: January 07, 2011, 04:06:38 PM »
Have any of you heard any of your Korean teachers make weird, unique, agonising, sucking noises after they have eaten? I have tried to do it my self but I can't come close to what they sound like. Its like they have something stuck between their teeth and they can't get it out. But I don't think that is why they do it. My VP does it and he can go for hours on end.

Offline foreverJ

• Featured Contributor
  • Super Waygook
Re: Weird post meal mouth noise?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 04:29:30 PM »
LMAO
ditto! female Koreans too.

The funny thing is that Koreans think it's rude to pick ones teeth with a toothpick in front of others, if they do, they cover their mouth with their other hand. Yet this sucking noise is done with no shame!
Even more confusingly, I think it's done after they brush their teeth!

the only conclusion I can make is that it's something to do with appreciation of the meal they just had.

Offline rainesbaines

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 04:30:19 PM »
haha i SO feel you.  not so much at my current school, but more at my last one.  bring an mp3 player and some rock n' roll.  aids in digestion, anyway.

Offline rainesbaines

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 04:32:01 PM »
appreciation??  haha...i thought it had to do with getting the bits of gochu and garlic from between the teeth.  :P

Offline kiwikimchi

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 04:36:04 PM »
Ear plugs will be used next week or headphones. Is that really true that they think its rude to use a toothpick? It would explain alot. They must realise they are making some pretty annoying horrible sounds. 10 seconds  to whip out the stuck food and problem solved...But I guess that would be too easy.

Offline pickle

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 04:59:31 PM »
Ha, I've noticed this too, but I guess I got used to it quickly.  A lot of people from the South in the US do it too, so I've heard it before.  It did really gross me out at first, but I tune it out now so it doesn't bother me anymore.

Offline jejusiii

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 06:11:01 PM »
lol..... That is one of my biggest Korea pet peeves

Offline tfuller

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 06:53:04 PM »
My mum and dad back home do it too... so I'm well adjusted to it.
It's funny because it's OK to make sucking noises, but when kids and teachers see me with dental floss in hand, walking to the bathroom (because I'm not rude enough to do it in front of anyone) they make faces in disgust  ;)

Offline ganstar

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 09:41:29 PM »
I believe I have heard that , but I finish eating before all of my co-workers so dont have to bear it. But what I have noticed, and its even more pronounced with the females, is the sucking of air between the teeth when they are thinking "umm", and processing what to say. This is accompanied by a jerk of the head up and to the side. It is the most cringee thing, I even had to tell my co to stop it.

Offline hankmcmasters

• Super Waygook
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 01:28:37 PM »
this air sucking through teeth head turning thing is something that ive seen many koreans do

i wish i could tell them that to me this body language means you are extremely agitated, like if someone is offering you lots of money to harm someone you love

but instead i'm thrown off by their fairly relaxed looking face, and they are usually not saying what they think.

as far as the mouth sucking noise, i'm glad i havent encountered that yet

Recent Lesson Plans

Jeopardy by nailah247
[Yesterday at 09:59:59 PM]

Animals, Body, Colors, Shapes, Fruit, Numbers, Sports, and Toys grade 1 & 2 Camp by jayrenegade
[Yesterday at 06:48:14 PM]

How to Train Your Dragon Camp by Elena429
[Yesterday at 05:22:46 PM]

Powerpoint Game / Warmer - What's the Word by sunny365
[Yesterday at 05:16:34 PM]

25 Most Common Verbs Lesson by timcraymond
[Yesterday at 01:47:59 PM]

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment