December 20, 2014, 10:05:16 AM

Author Topic: Computer Issues or advice  (Read 1640 times)

Offline zenbone

• Adventurer
Computer Issues or advice
« on: January 08, 2011, 01:30:22 AM »
I have recently been accepted by EPIK to teach in Daejeon. I was wondering what issues might i encounter using my laptop and the internet in S. Korea? I have a newer HP laptop. i do a lot on the internet in terms of podcasts, facebook, blogs... etc. Will i run into trouble keeping them up or accessing sites?

Offline kissdisap

• Veteran
Re: Computer Issues or advice
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 03:58:41 AM »
i dont think you'll have any issues.  i haven't encountered any since i've been here.

the internet isn't restricted here like it is in china and it is one of the fastest in the world.

Offline confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 08:25:10 AM »
The only issues you can possibly have, is that if you want to access some Korean sites, e.g. Internet Banking for a Korean Bank, then you have to use a super out-dated Internet Explorer and not browsers like Firefox. You can use Firefox etc here but just access to some local Korean sites are restricted to Internet Explorer.

The computer teacher in my school truly believes that Firefox will add viruses to your computer and nothing I can say will convince her otherwise........ :)
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

The earth is flat....... I think, ha ha ha !!

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Offline Morticae

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 09:48:06 AM »
The only issues you can possibly have, is that if you want to access some Korean sites, e.g. Internet Banking for a Korean Bank, then you have to use a super out-dated Internet Explorer and not browsers like Firefox. You can use Firefox etc here but just access to some local Korean sites are restricted to Internet Explorer.

The computer teacher in my school truly believes that Firefox will add viruses to your computer and nothing I can say will convince her otherwise........ :)

I'm able to run IE 8 + Windows 7 and my internet banking still works (Nonghyup). The 64 bit browser version will not work though, nor will any other browser.

Offline adamwatch

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 12:25:57 PM »
Why does everyone say the net is fast in Korea。 In the many schools I have worked for its always been slow and in all my flats its been slow too.

Adam

Offline kissdisap

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 12:50:08 PM »
Sorry Adam, I think you're in the minority.  Not quite sure why your net is so slow at your school & home, but here at home I just did a test and here are my results:  88.83Mbps down/29.97Mbps up

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1101978695.png

What speeds are you getting when you run the test?

Offline Morticae

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 01:26:11 PM »
Sorry Adam, I think you're in the minority.  Not quite sure why your net is so slow at your school & home, but here at home I just did a test and here are my results:  88.83Mbps down/29.97Mbps up

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1101978695.png

What speeds are you getting when you run the test?

I have a similar speed, as you can see.

I think the speeds are very good, but it all depends on what you are doing. Many of us will probably try to be connecting to servers found halfway across the world, and thus it will seem slower than it should be. Connecting to and downloading from Korean websites is extremely fast!

Offline SpaceRook

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 01:44:28 PM »
Why does everyone say the net is fast in Korea。 In the many schools I have worked for its always been slow and in all my flats its been slow too.

Adam

If you're trying to connect to your favorite sites that are hosted in the US (or other countries), it can be slow.  That is not Korea's fault; it's the fault of the servers/networks on the other side of the planet.  I've found YouTube to be horrendously slow in Korea.

When you're actually accessing things located in Korea, it's insanely fast.  I've downloaded torrents at 2MB/second at times.

As for the original poster's question, you should have almost no problems with your laptop in Korea.  Once I found a power adapter, I was good to go.  My laptop can access all the free wi-fi hotspots I've seen.  In my apartment, the internet works perfectly with no changes needed on my computer. 

Offline Davey

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 03:17:09 PM »

Adam

If you're trying to connect to your favorite sites that are hosted in the US (or other countries), it can be slow.  That is not Korea's fault; it's the fault of the servers/networks on the other side of the planet.  I've found YouTube to be horrendously slow in Korea.

When you're actually accessing things located in Korea, it's insanely fast.  I've downloaded torrents at 2MB/second at times.

As for the original poster's question, you should have almost no problems with your laptop in Korea.  Once I found a power adapter, I was good to go.  My laptop can access all the free wi-fi hotspots I've seen.  In my apartment, the internet works perfectly with no changes needed on my computer.

may be slow in a few places, but overall Korea's Internet speed is the fastest in the world, second to only Japan. this is according to the U.S. Information Technology and Innovation Foundation.
------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

Offline confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 03:21:12 PM »
Your internet speed depends on the amount you are paying. I have a deal (our whole apartment block) where we get cable tv and internet for 15,000 won a month, but though we have fibre optic cables our download speed is only about 20 Mb/sec, so I guess you get what you pay for.

Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

The earth is flat....... I think, ha ha ha !!

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Offline Morticae

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 03:56:52 PM »
Your internet speed depends on the amount you are paying. I have a deal (our whole apartment block) where we get cable tv and internet for 15,000 won a month, but though we have fibre optic cables our download speed is only about 20 Mb/sec, so I guess you get what you pay for.

In my case, I get internet & cable for free!  :laugh: I guess it is part of the rent. I just pay for gas/electricity.

Offline zenbone

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 02:42:25 AM »
to be honest as long as my computer doesn't make that squelch sound followed by the beeps of an old school modem i am fine. generally the speed doesn't bother me.  ;)

Offline andyfoggy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 09:27:40 AM »
when i lived in Daegu i got cable and high speed internet for free with my one room
not any more
boo hoo

Daejeon

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 04:54:12 PM »

Adam

Try paying for a connection and not using the buildings shared internet line.

Schools internet connections are slow because they are; shared, have that horrible V3 internet security clogging the RAM, computers are old, are rarely updated and cache cleaned.

Offline EPSK

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 08:19:53 PM »
Internet here is very solid. The standard connection is ethernet but you can easily get a wireless router (I don't find a need for this, though, since my apartment is pretty small). Just make sure you have a proper adapter for your power cord (you can usually buy one to plug into the adapter so you don't need converters).

Happy travels and welcome to SK!

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment