October 22, 2014, 03:40:38 AM

Author Topic: E-2 visa regulation discussion thread.  (Read 9675 times)

Offline mteacher

• Explorer
Re: Visa renewing
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2011, 12:40:27 PM »
I'm interested to hear from people who have renewed within the past month -- is this what you experienced? Did you have to provide the national-level check and an apostilled degree?

I'm Canadian, and our background checks are national-level by default, but we haven't signed the apostille treaty. That means that I need to send my original degree back to my parents, have them photocopy it, have a notary sign the photocopy, have the notarized copy and a copy of my university transcript sent to the nearest Korean consulate in Canada to be stamped, and get the whole thing sent back to me in Korea. If I *do* have to do all of this now, despite what was said before, I need to get this stuff sent out right away.

So. Can anyone with current personal experience chime in? Also, do any of my fellow Canadians know of an easier, but still legitimate, way to fulfill the apostille requirement?

Hi there...
You may be able to get some documents notarized at the Canadian Embassy. I went to my Embassy  (South Africa) and they certified a copy of my degree. They even made the copy for me.
Maybe the Canadian one can do the same :)
Hope so!
The Canadian Embassy is near City Hall, Seoul, behind Deoksogung.

Hope this helps :)

Offline denimdaze

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2011, 12:54:53 PM »
I went to Yangju.  My co-teacher had called them before I went and they did not say anything to her about the appostilled diploma.  She was quite surprised.  They gave me a document in Korean to give to my co-teacher explaining what I needed.

Offline obnavox3

• Adventurer
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2011, 10:57:02 AM »
I am with GEPIK, came to Korea April 2010 and just renewed at the Suwon Immigration Office.  Did NOT need diploma, medical check, or FBI check.  It was as easy as can be.  If it's your 1st time renewing and you're not switching jobs; you don't need the FBI check.

Offline glb0b

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2011, 01:04:23 PM »
I also renewed (Changwon) without an apostilled degree (wasn't even asked about it). I am not American so the FBI check doesn't apply anyway. I didn't need a medical check either. I just needed:

contract
passport
arc
school registration certificate
and some kind of reference document from the school
30000 won

It took very little time and was straightforward. I am happy to have got it over with!

Offline isanghan

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2011, 01:14:01 PM »
I just transferred my visa/extended my sojourn for another year at the Seoul (Mokdong) Immigration Office. I'm an American citizen.

I went back to the States for a three week vacation over the winter holiday, and managed to get an apostilled FBI check and apostilled original diploma in that time. The FBI check cost $80 (vulnerable sectors).

When I went to immigration, I handed them:
1) application form
2) ARC
3) passport
4) employment contract + copy
5) apostilled FBI check
6) apostilled degree

I was returned my degree with a look of confusion on the immigration official's face, as though he wasn't sure what he was meant to do with it. I didn't pay a fee, I'm supposing that it must have been covered by the Pagoda employee I was with.

I received my passport and ARC back within the hour, with my new visa status.

Offline suzettec

• Veteran
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2011, 01:18:39 PM »
I called and talked to someone at the Busan Immigration Office today.  I was told that if you are resigning with your same school you do not need to get an FBI check or degree aspostilled as long as you do not let you visa expire.  That being said it would be a good idea to call the Immigration office in your province to make sure.

You are just extending your visa with your same school you need:
1.  ACR card
2.  Passport
3.  Application - which you fill out there.
4.  Business certificate from your school.
5.  30,000 won

Now if your visa does expire and you have to go back home... you WILL need an FBI check and the apostilled degree.

Offline suzettec

• Veteran
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2011, 01:20:15 PM »
@insanghan - How were you able to get your FBI check back in the three week time you were back home?  I thought it took a couple of months.

Offline isanghan

• Veteran
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2011, 01:48:55 PM »
@insanghan - How were you able to get your FBI check back in the three week time you were back home?  I thought it took a couple of months.
I'm not sure, but it may only take months if you are getting it from Korea.
I had my fingerprints done on a Monday morning, and I had my FBI check delivered to my home the following Saturday afternoon, not even a week later.

Perhaps it was just good luck?

Offline pickle

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2011, 01:55:14 PM »
I'm not sure, but it may only take months if you are getting it from Korea.
I had my fingerprints done on a Monday morning, and I had my FBI check delivered to my home the following Saturday afternoon, not even a week later.

Perhaps it was just good luck?

It must have been. I had one done while I was in the states, and it took at least 6 weeks. I'm not sure exactly how long, because it came after I left for Korea (it wasn't required at the time, though it was recommended.)

Offline Janitor

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Expert Waygook
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2011, 02:27:03 PM »
I just got mine done last week in Ulsan.

All I needed was:
1) 30,000 won
2) ARC card
3) Contract (given back after they looked at it)
4) Letter from the MOE/School
5) Passport

The process took about 5 - 10 mintues and they just write the dates on the back of my ARC card and that was it. Easy.

Offline eggplant_tyrant

• Super Waygook
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2011, 07:44:57 PM »
Chiming in to provide another data point from Ilsan, since I did this today.

I needed the following:
-A copy of the school's business license
-A "letter" (really more of a form) from my school with the info about me and my contract
-A copy of my contract (I gave them a photocopy. I also had an original, but they seemed satisfied with what I gave them.)
-The application form
-My passport
-My ARC
-30,000 won

They kept everything but my passport and ARC for their files. They didn't even mention an apostilled degree or new CRC. (The CRC I gave them when I first came here was from the RCMP, but I gave them my original degree, not an apostilled copy.) All told, I was in and out in 5 minutes. Also, they had a fancy machine that printed the new date on the back of my card. Much classier than the sharpie they used last time :)

Also, for anyone who's wondering, the Immigration office in Ilsan is located in the Job Center in meat street. The Job Center is that big building that looks kind of out of place near the end of meat street (the end that's farthest from La Festa). If you go in, you'll see the word "job" all over the place -- that's about the only English in the whole place, but it's hard to miss. The immigration office is on the 5th floor. Just go up to the 5th floor in the elevator, turn left, and you'll see it tucked away in the corner. They told me their hours are from 9 am to 6 pm. I didn't ask, but I assume that's Monday to Friday.

Finally, a question. The date on the back of my card reads 2012.04.18. My contract ends on March 18th, not April 18th. Is this new standard procedure (granting us the one month extension/grace period by default), or just a fortuitous typo?

Offline JC49

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Expert Waygook
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2011, 08:19:01 PM »
No immigration rules :You have one month extension after your visa expiration.

Offline xnay

• Explorer
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2011, 12:46:46 AM »
Transferred my visa from my high school to a university today but didn't need to provide CRC, degree, or health check. Apparently they are giving a bit of a grace period at this time. Next time they'll want all the documents. Also, the visa is now good for 13 months rather than 12. Cheers.

Offline Deesh

• Super Waygook
British degree certificate Apostille
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2011, 11:02:13 PM »
Hello,

My apologies if this topic has already been covered.

I'm currently in the UK, applying for my third E2 visa.

Does anyone know if I have to get a copy of my degree certificate notarized by a notary public, or if it can be certified by any solicitor, before I send it to be apostilled?

Are the Korean immigration office only interested in the Apostille on my degree certificate, or will they be checking how it was notarized/certified too?

Many thanks.

Offline glb0b

• Expert Waygook
Re: British degree certificate Apostille
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2011, 11:18:37 AM »
Check out the FCO website about apostilling. Basically they can only apostille a notarised copy so you have to get it notarised before sending it to them for apostilling.

You can get it notarised at the British Council in Seoul. They have to contact your university so it takes a few weeks to do. Then you send the notarised copy to the FCO in the UK.

I have done to first step but not the second so I am not 100% sure it will work but according the to FCO website they will accept copies notarised by British Council offices.

I hope that helps.

Offline daveb

• Super Waygook
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2011, 12:26:36 PM »
Yes, you must get a copy notorized by a notary solicitor specificially. A normal solicitor won't do it for you. Google notary solicitors in your area. Then, you can post it to MK for the apostille stamp. I think I paid 70 for the notary stamp and 35 for the apostille.

Offline sonz

• Explorer
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2011, 01:01:28 PM »

I just got my second E2 visa in February. It must be notarized before you send it to the FCO. Also if you need to get the National Police Check, Disclosure Scotland can notarize that for you.

Offline uearob

• Adventurer
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2011, 01:03:18 PM »
You can take it to Milton Kenyes yourself but i've heard stories of people who were messed around...I just got it Notarised by a solicitor and then he sent it off to a guy in Milton Kenyes who does all this for a living (dropping off a load of certificates and then picking them up and sending them back as far as I can tell).

Offline lazarus

• Explorer
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2011, 01:26:22 PM »
Like a poster above said check the FCO here: http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/about-us/what-we-do/services-we-deliver/legal-services/ .

I got a copy of my degree notarised by a notary public for just under 100.

As for your disclosure if you go through disclosure Scotland they will notarise that certificate for no extra price.

I posted the two notarised certificate to be apostilled in Milton Keynes and I think the turn around took period was around one week.

Offline morrisonhotel

• Explorer
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2011, 06:22:31 PM »
Where are you people going that you're paying more than a tenner for having your documents notarised? Any notary public can do it - that includes non-solicitor notaries. If you're in Scotland, the vast majority of solicitors are notary publics.

Recent Lesson Plans

65 new DINGBATS/What's the Word slides - Good for Warmups, Time-fillers, etc by davjs
[Today at 01:05:47 AM]

halloween bomb game by Mr C
[Today at 12:00:24 AM]

Sleeping Elephants PPT for an Open Class by Mr C
[Yesterday at 11:49:39 PM]

Halloween Lesson Plans and crafts? by ShanaC
[Yesterday at 09:52:17 PM]

Fannee Doolee by ahnh87
[Yesterday at 06:14:31 PM]

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment