November 29, 2014, 03:51:57 AM

Author Topic: Things to do in Seoul?  (Read 2377 times)

Offline azjgf

• Adventurer
Things to do in Seoul?
« on: January 30, 2011, 01:11:09 PM »
Hi all!

I am going to Seoul for the Lunar New Year and have never been to Seoul. What are the "not to be missed" things to see and do there? Culture? Shopping? Night Life etc....

I'm looking forward to my first real trip to Seoul!

Offline Davey

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Things to do in Seoul?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 02:14:15 PM »
Hi all!

I am going to Seoul for the Lunar New Year and have never been to Seoul. What are the "not to be missed" things to see and do there? Culture? Shopping? Night Life etc....

I'm looking forward to my first real trip to Seoul!

not sure if it's the ideal time because a lot of places will be closed.

shopping

-dongdaemun night market (google for more info)...starts around midnight

-naemdaemun market during the day

night life

-seoul has better clubs.

hongdae area = mainly university students, some foreigners

itaewon is for mainly military and other foreigners

gangnam/apgujeong = more mature and wealthy crowd, better house music (e.g., club eden, club answer, club heaven)

-gangnam station (come out of exit 6) is where a lot of people hang out...go behind the main street for the bars and some clubs (NB/harlem = hip hop, Mass = house)

culture

-Gyeongbok Palace
-insadong is nearby
-war memorial

im sure others can add a lot more. tried to keep it concise.

------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

Offline pez

• Fanatical Supporter!
  • Veteran
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 03:25:17 PM »
I just posted this suggestion in another post (and no, i don't get paid to promote the site!) but couchsurfing.org is a great site to look for things to do.. that is if you want to MEET people who live in the city you are visting.

We have the vacation off, but are trying to save money so not traveling. A group of surfers have made plans to do something, around seoul, that is cheap.  Each person will take a day of the vacation, Mon-Sunday (or something like that) and make a general plan. Anyone who wants can join along.  We don't have specific plans yet, but tongith we will make them at a meeting we are having.

Check the "seoul group" at couchsurfing for info on lots of things to do around seoul...

Later
amy

Offline azjgf

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 11:17:29 AM »
Thanks guys! Amy, I will definitely look into the couchsurfing. Sounds like fun!

Offline rhafrika

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 11:36:34 AM »
I also second couchsurfing! I don't know if you've already booked accommodations but cs is a GREAT way to meet cool people, see more of a city than just the tourist sites, and also save money. Make a profile and at least try to meet up with some other couchsurfers. As for things to do in Seoul-Insadong is a popular tourist area (which can ruin it) but tucked away in the alleyways are some cool art galleries and shops with artists selling their products. While you're there go to Ssamzeigel (not sure about the spelling). It's this building with a collection of unique shops with artists selling handmade goods. They also have demonstrations in the courtyard.

I also love the Hongdae area both during the day and at night. It has a nice mixture of unique restaurants, coffee shops, and boutique stores and the shopping is cheaper than other areas.

Another good area is Myeongdong for shopping which is near Namdaemun market. It has a bit of a european vibe and you can find many western stores- H and M, Forever 21, Gap, and many, many others.

If I were you I would only go to Itaewon if you need some foreign item. They have a very good selection of restaurants with international food but personally I find the area a bit annoying because it's almost like you're not in Korea anymore. I think that's why it's popular among foreigners. I believe you can also find large sized clothing in Itaewon and there is a nice used and new English bookstore called What the Book. 

Lastly, check out the website cnngo.com I have found some unique restaurants, bars, and other things to do as a result of this site. Things you don't always find in a guide book. Have a fun trip! Seoul is an AWESOME city!!!!

Offline lsterneleftthebuilding

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 12:11:45 PM »
I just posted this suggestion in another post (and no, i don't get paid to promote the site!) but couchsurfing.org is a great site to look for things to do.. that is if you want to MEET people who live in the city you are visting.

We have the vacation off, but are trying to save money so not traveling. A group of surfers have made plans to do something, around seoul, that is cheap.  Each person will take a day of the vacation, Mon-Sunday (or something like that) and make a general plan. Anyone who wants can join along.  We don't have specific plans yet, but tongith we will make them at a meeting we are having.

Check the "seoul group" at couchsurfing for info on lots of things to do around seoul...

Later
amy

That's interesting.  Couchsurfing isn't very viable for me where I live out in the boondocks of 경상남도.  I did a ton of hosting back in Boston so my viewpoint on the site goes back and forth a lot.  We had a lot of great guests, however we also had a fair number of, ehm, jerks, to put it lightly.  If you do use CS for your housing or accommodation needs, please don't abuse your host's hospitality -- also, interact with your host/hosts (don't just say hello and disappear for the rest of the time).  Some hosts are fine with that style, but we never understood the point -- there are hostels for that kind of low-budget traveler.

As a result, I haven't been very quick to use it in Korea although I should probably try it out in 부산 more since I'll most likely be in this small town for two years if the school wants me back.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 12:15:28 PM by lsterneleftthebuilding »

Offline cloud6

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 09:07:04 PM »
I tried looking for the "Seoul group" on Couch Surfing and no luck. Any other details you could send out? I'm a couchsurfer and would be cool to meet up with some people from the group over lunar.

Offline dropdeadbarbi

• Adventurer
  • Carpe Diem
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »
You'll find the thread within the Seoul network. "Lunar New Year"
www.diamondintherok.blogspot.com
[From Ghetto USA to Ghetto ROK]

Offline kawaiikitty

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 11:44:43 PM »
I'd go to some palaces, maybe folk villages...Everland! :]

Offline dropdeadbarbi

• Adventurer
  • Carpe Diem
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 10:50:52 AM »
Here's a link to all the tourist sites and attractions opened or closed during Lunar New Year: [http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/FU/FU_EN_15.jsp?cid=1188888]

Here's the planned event calendar from Couch Surfers:
[https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=seoulisawesome@gmail.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu&gsessionid=O0oTV3VsKxMGXhiFOTm25Q]

Hopefully this helps. Also, anyone interested in going to CoEx, 63, and Lotte World this week? PM me.
www.diamondintherok.blogspot.com
[From Ghetto USA to Ghetto ROK]

Recent Lesson Plans

General Ignorance QI Game by roosh
[Yesterday at 11:11:48 PM]

Euphemisms for defecating. by stevelee0000
[Yesterday at 06:28:27 PM]

Winter camp help. by Herlien_
[Yesterday at 05:37:16 PM]

Help! Need ideas for a gr 3/4 camp, on tough topics like poverty, war, ect by kellogsanne
[Yesterday at 05:31:53 PM]

League Of Legend UNO by adelle56
[Yesterday at 05:20:13 PM]

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment