November 22, 2014, 12:44:47 PM

Author Topic: Printing passport pictures at Home Plus a No-No  (Read 4837 times)

Offline shkim

• Explorer
Printing passport pictures at Home Plus a No-No
« on: February 07, 2011, 12:03:27 AM »
I didn't want to pay the ridiculous passport photo price, so I took my own pics and made sure they met all the requirements with my DSLR. I resized the photo to fit on the 4x6 printed photos that you get at photo shops (since each photo is 200W). This is a lot better than the 8000W gouging anywhere else.

Anyways, I went tonight to print them and the photo counter worker wouldn't allow me to purchase the photos for the 200W price. Instead she said I had to pay 7000W for them, which I find as complete BS. I had no problem printing passport photos back in Canada at a Wal-Mart. She was looking at other pics on my USB and said I could print those for 200W, but the fact that my photos were aligned as a passport picture made them 35 times more expensive.

Anyone else experience anything like this? Anyone know where I can print regular photos in Seoul without the supervision of workers, (or at least people who won't care?) I considered Kinkos but it's kind of out of the way for me. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Offline AcidTeacher

• Adventurer
Re: Printing passport pictures at Home Plus a No-No
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 12:14:33 AM »
Since you live in Seoul, why don't you use the do-it-yourself photo booths at some of the subway stations?   I've seen them at several stations such as Banghwa Station.

Offline epinephrine9

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 12:18:28 AM »
First off, I agree that that's BS, but some things can't be helped. You could, of course, simply use Photoshop or an equivalent to put a border around them, or something to that effect, and cut out the useless parts later, but while at the shop the pictures would clearly have additional parts making them "not" passport photos.

If that doesn't work, you have pretty much 3 options:

1) Take the "gouging" and pay the price--I'm not gonna lie, I've lost so much money from being screwed over in transactions over here that I feel 8000 won for something important is well worth not having any more misery over it

2) Buy glossy paper and print them off on your own, either at school, at home, or at a friend's home, or

3) Ask a Korean (for instance, your coteacher or a coworker) to help you find another way around the situation.

Offline shkim

• Explorer
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 12:26:41 AM »
AcidTeacher - The photobooths at the subway stations are also 7000-8000W.

Epinephrine9 - I considered option 2, the photopaper option. I'm just not sure how the quality will come out, as I've never printed my own photo out on photopaper.

I was hoping to come across a mom & pop printing shop somewhere. I feel like I've seen these before, but I'm not sure if they only print paper products.

Offline teachertq

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 12:53:54 AM »
Not sure, but when do you need your pictures by? I am not sure when your school has their photo day for the year books, but I took my passport pictures on picture day for free  :D ;D 
If you are not in a rush to get them, inquire about your picture day and whether or not you can take passport pictures. I hope to take more passport photos on our next picture day.

Offline toniyellow

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 01:56:28 AM »
I have done this successfully at the Emart. I printed about 10 photos, one of which was a 4x6 of passport photos, and I paid like 2000 won total. The clerk was clearly afraid I would force him to communicate in English and we had a wordless transaction, maybe that helped.

It seems like an invasion of privacy that they could look at the photos, I've never even considered them noticing and charging more.

Offline epinephrine9

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 08:34:26 AM »
If it works at Emart like toniyellow says, then I'd go with that route. Printing on glossy paper can turn out to be just about the same as the photos from Walmart/HomePlus etc; it all depends upon the printer. It's very likely that you are just making these for applications and your health certificate and all that stuff, for which they will be way more than sufficient, regardless of quality. Truth be told, I have done all of my passport-sized photos from a home printer for the last few years, and even though my printer isn't all that good, I've had no problems with the quality.

Offline shkim

• Explorer
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 09:06:12 AM »
I'll try out E-mart today. If no luck then I'll opt for the photo paper. Thanks again.

Offline hankmcmasters

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 09:50:33 AM »
if you have the dimensions right just put the passport photo in a bigger photo and cut out the outside stuff.

couldnt you just go into photoshop and merge two pictures? yeah?

Offline constantinople

• Super Waygook
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 10:17:37 AM »
You could easily order prints online (well, easily if you get a Korean friend to do it for you) and it costs a couple thousand won. My friend did it with his passport photos.
http://www.iherb.com Use coupon code fes089 to save $5-$10 on groceries/vitamins/beauty products.

http://earthclinic.com/  Natural Home Remedies

Offline Janitor

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Expert Waygook
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 10:29:32 AM »
just wondering if these are just passport sized pics and not for your passport if they are just passport sized then get a friend to print them on glossy photo paper but if you are printing them for a passport then you might run into complications.

For Canada, passport photos must be taken and signed by the photoshop and a guarantor. Making it hard for you to do it at home.

If you are just doing it for work id or something to do with the school, then get a friend to print them off but if it is for your passport then I am afraid you might have to bite the bullet on this one.

Offline shkim

• Explorer
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 10:35:50 AM »
hankmcmasters - The issue isn't the sizing and tricking a computer. I had a photo station operator standing next to me as I selected my photos. It's the fact that they were organized and laid out as passport photos. I sized it so 6 passport photos could be printed on a 4x6 card. Even if I did double the images and ordered a larger size photo, she would still charge me the extra KRW because it is still a 'passport' photo.

constantinople - How long is the process to get the photos to you? Is it a pick-up service or do they do delivery. I am in a rush to get these photos and getting really close to 'serving the man' and taking the 7000W pricetag. I need to get these photos and my Visa application for India in by the end of this week at the latest. I hear the Indian visa process is a pain.

janitor - These photos are for my Indian visa application. I've heard that it's cool to print out photos on your own. I mean, people have been submitting the 'subway photo booth' pictures for their applications. The photo quality is also much lower in these booths compared to my DSLR.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 10:38:48 AM by shkim »

Offline aramella

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 10:54:23 AM »
I just went to a photographer and they took my photos there, had them printed in an hour and I paid about 7,000won for 6 photos.  That seemed extremely reasonable to me.  In the US I remember paying $7 for 2 photoes at AAA.

Offline shkim

• Explorer
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 02:06:37 PM »
aramella - I know the price of passport picture worldwide are expensive. I'm against the whole system that a photo that costs maybe 10-20 cents to product is being inflated beyond reason. Of course when you go to a photographer and pay the 7,000W, you're not just paying for the photos. You're paying for the photographer's time, lighting, along with the guarantor signature.

I did the photos professionally myself with all the equipment, and yet they still want me to pay the additional costs. This is the injustice that I think is BS. I know there's no use in whining since ultimately, that's life. Rarely will we ever purchase goods at cost. I was just disappointed that printing photos at a department store in Korea is a freedom that is not granted here(minus E-mart, trying that place after school). I had no problem back in NA.

If everyone put their foot down and refused to pay for overpriced goods/services, we wouldn't be forced to pay these costs. It's the fact that consumers will ultimately give in that enables these companies to charge these inflated prices. It's similar to putting your foot down when travelling and insisting on paying the 'regular' price, rather than the 'tourist' price. Although we may feel like we're helping the merchant with a little extra cash, but the merchant seeing that he can get away with charging more to others may tend to inflate his 'regular' costs to locals.

I really don't mean to lecture, and I'm certainly not directing this comment at you aramella. Just food for thought.

Offline shkim

• Explorer
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 09:01:43 PM »
Problem solved. I went to E-mart but they didn't have a photo center (in the one I went in). So there was a Kodak shop just outside, so I walked in and got 2 sets printed of 2 different sizes (3.5x4.5 & 5x5). Only paid 3,000W for 2 sets (14 picture). Just letting other know that it's possible to avoid the ridiculous passport photo fees.

I'm surprised the Kodak store let me do it. They had an in-store studio that did passport photos for 15,000W.

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment