October 02, 2014, 09:25:17 PM

Author Topic: Sewing in Korea  (Read 3039 times)

Offline cad123

• Veteran
Sewing in Korea
« on: February 07, 2011, 10:43:15 AM »
Hey everyone I trust you all had a wonderful "break".
I am in Dong-Gu ULSAN and was wondering if anybody knew where to purchase a sewing machine/ fabric/ thread and the like. Any info would be great.

Offline Janitor

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Expert Waygook
Re: Sewing in Korea
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 10:45:50 AM »
The sewing machine, you may want to try Gmarket. As for the thread and fabric you may want to try Sungnam-dong or mugeo dong. I can't off hand recall any places specifically but you might want to ask your students too.

Offline talitavangraan

• Explorer
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 10:57:24 AM »
Hello Cad

Jippie, a fellow sewing-enthusiast! :)

I'm not sure about the sewing machine, but there's a biggish material shop in old downtown. They sell the usual haberdashery things, curtaining materials etc. There are also a number of smaller material shops. HOWEVER, if you want to buy material and all things sewing to your absolute heart's content - and I mean extreme sewing heaven - take the time to go to Dongdaemun in Seoul. There's an whole block just for material and entire department stores devoted to it.

Offline AC_in_Korea

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 11:26:13 AM »
And if you don't want to go all the way to Seoul - you can go to Seomun market in Daegu.

They have a building full of button places, thread booths, materials galore!

Have fun!
Be the change you want to see in the world.

Offline cad123

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 11:29:55 AM »
Man thanks guys, your a huge help.  My Co-Teacher also said there are three brother sewing machine stores in New and Old DT. Does anybody know about them?

Offline Mr. Mac

• Explorer
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 03:44:17 PM »
There is also the Busan-jin market, in Busan. If I remember correctly, you get off at the stop before Busan-jin station on subway line 1 and when you exit you will see a 5 story 1 city block market with absolutely everything sewing inside it. On the streets surrounding this monolith are many sewing machine shops, which sell rebuilt second hand sewing machines. I looked at buying a 4thread over-locker for my sewing mad girlfriend and the guy only wanted 30,000won for it. It was in top condition too. If you're here for a short time it may be worth a Saturday to go check it out, instead of buying a new one at the going rate. Good luck.

Offline erth0301

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 03:51:07 PM »
Dongdaemun in Seoul is the best place to go for fabric, buttons, and anything in regards to Sewing, the white building has everything you need and more. Spend an afternoon there and it's pretty overwhelming with the selections... Enjoy.

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment