July 26, 2014, 10:09:02 PM

Author Topic: Any Icebreaker ideas for adult english class?  (Read 5624 times)

Offline wafflebunny

• Super Waygook
Any Icebreaker ideas for adult english class?
« on: February 14, 2011, 04:17:34 PM »
Hi all,

I have the painful honor of teaching the teachers and the principal English during the week of the spring break.  :( ???  :-[

Anyways, anyone think they can give me any ideas for a fun yet age appropiate icebreaker for the first day? I'm on the verge of giving these folks the icebreaker from the elementary English camp. :laugh:

Thanks!

patch83

Re: Any Icebreaker ideas for adult english class?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 04:32:46 PM »
Much depends on their level.

I started out the first hour with this...which I will attach.

It's developed using the official Korean Ministry of Culture's Rules for Romanization (with a few of my own customizations added that are in addition to, not in place of, the KMOC's).

From this PowerPoint, you can have them make nametags. Read through it first and replace my name with yours. I'll attach a document for nametags with some basic "getting to know" questions, and you can toss in a cultural note like I did about how Koreans ask personal questions whereas in the west (ie: Canada, where I'm from, we say and ask more trivial things "small talk" to people whom we're just meeting). You can also add more words for them to spell, and toss in some Konglish as well. As I say, much depends on their level. This is a little like a level assessment though, in some way.

Offline cowboy7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 05:08:17 PM »
My suggestion for an ice breaker can be used with statements from the worksheet attached here.  It may or may not be a first day ice breaker but here goes.  I start by asking everyone to stand up and herd into the middle of the classroom.  The middle from then on is considered the 'safe zone'.  If participants don't want to share their response, are unsure about how they feel, or feel uncomfortable for any other reason then they can stay in the middle. 

The four corners of the room are the other key areas.  I say a statement such as "the legal smoking age should be raised to 25" or "women should also be required to serve in the army" and then everyone moves to one corner of the room (unless they want to stay in the safe zone).  The corners represent the following responses: I strongly disagree, I disagree, I agree, and I strongly agree.  I usually will ask one teacher who agrees with the statement why they feel that way and then one who disagrees why they feel the way that they do. 

It's interesting to see what cultural, gender, age, and other biases there are. 

Offline singletrackmind

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 05:13:38 PM »
When I taught adults, I usually did a "speed dating" exercise on the first day.  I'd give them 3 minutes to get to know someone and when the time ran out they had to move to the next partner until they spoke with everyone.  Before the exercise I asked the students to give me examples of questions and wrote them on the board.  After all the students talked to everyone, I'd have them talk about some things they found in common with the other students.  This always went over very well with the students, but it may not be the greatest icebreaker for you since the teachers probably already know each other.

Offline mackattack

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 05:18:16 PM »
A really easy, time-consuming game is the snowball icebreaker.  Each person writes a few things about themselves (family, how they get to school, likes/dislikes, etc) on a half-sheet of paper. Then they crumple it up into a snowball and put it in a basket, shake it up and let them pick out one (you can spice it up by letting them throw snowballs at each other lol).  They can read the paper aloud to the class and the class can guess whose paper it is.  Or they can walk around and ask each other questions to find out whose paper they have, and then present to the class.

Offline wafflebunny

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 02:39:36 PM »
Thanks Patch! That PPt is great! ;)

Thanks for the other ideas guys.

Offline glaurung8

• Explorer
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 04:07:54 PM »
Materials: Toilet Paper Roll

Directions: Tell everyone to take as much TP as they think they will need. After everyone takes a bunch of TP, tell them that they have to say an interesting fact about themselves for each square of TP that they took.

Offline lpaek

• Explorer
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 04:16:14 PM »
i usually just play 2 truths and 1 lie.

Offline cutieturtle07

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 06:00:08 PM »
So I taught my first adult teacher class today. I only have 3 female teachers that come and none of them are English teachers. I thought that 2 of the 3 had lower level abilites, but after today, I realized that their skills are above intermediate. I had them play the toilet paper game which was mentioned above. I expected this game to take a lot longer, but it didn't because I only had 3 teachers. Then we went over formal and informal introductions. I even took a decent long introduction of myself and asked them what they wanted out of the class. Each of them said conversation. After all of this, I still had 30min left and nothing else planned. So we just talked and had laughs. I was a little nervous because I have never taught adults and I'm the youngest teacher in the school. 22 years old strait out of the university with a little less than a year of teaching experience. But I'm a quick learner and fast on my feet which has always helped me out. So any advice I would have to give is to have looootsss of things planned or you will be a sitting duck like me.   :-X

Offline Ddalgi9

• Explorer
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 03:02:07 PM »
Surprisingly, when I have taught adults they don't mind playing slightly childish games.  Especially, if they can use their previously learned English skills or the skills that you learn that day.  I would suggest a word game depending on their level.  Such as, the first person says a word that starts with A, the next person says a word that starts with B, etc.  If they can't think of one, then maybe they get -1 point.  The person with the least minus points is the winner.

Offline kneekick

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 06:00:21 PM »
I love 2 truths and 1 lie and the toilet paper game sounds like fun too.
In my teacher class, I introduced myself using a powerpoint presentation. Pictures of my country, city, family and things I like to do.  I got a little silly with it, to loosen things up (and because I'm a bit silly).  I got my teachers to prepare a simple introduction of themselves with fill in the blank type questions and then share it with another class member. Then the partners introduced each other.  This worked well, because the lower level people could still do the fill in the blanks.  It also created an opportunity for discussion about activities and what they like about the activities they do.  This also gave me a really good idea about the English level and comfort level of the various students and what I could do in the future.

Offline M.Shillingburg

• Explorer
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 01:35:36 PM »
A well placed icebreaker can make or break a class's attendance. I used the classic blind maze icebreaker. It's perfect for teachers.

Basically, go over forward, backward, left, right, steps, turn, and 1-5 if their English level is low. Pick one student as a Leader and send everyone else (the blind followers) outside. Use chairs and desks to make a maze in the room, and make everyone who is outside of the room come inside. They must keep their eyes closed and listen to the leader's English instructions to make it through the simple maze as a team. When they get done, have them look at the maze they went through.

The debrief is the gold here because what they just did is a perfect metaphor for learning, especially learning a language. The blind followers have no idea what they're doing, and they all have to trust and listen to the leader. No one is in danger, though, and the worst that can happen to them is a couple bumps along the way. It's frustrating sometimes for the leader, but in the end everyone's eyes are open.

Offline arosesg

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 04:44:59 PM »
I made a short ppt with a brief class intro, a few things about me, and a description with example of how to play Two Truths and Lie.  I've deleted my personal info and pictures, so you'll want to take 5 minutes to edit it to be about yourself.

Offline kt.teacher

• Explorer
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 06:58:39 PM »
Great ideas everyone! thanks!!

Offline Andyroo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 10:19:59 AM »
Much depends on their level.

I started out the first hour with this...which I will attach.

It's developed using the official Korean Ministry of Culture's Rules for Romanization (with a few of my own customizations added that are in addition to, not in place of, the KMOC's).

From this PowerPoint, you can have them make nametags. Read through it first and replace my name with yours. I'll attach a document for nametags with some basic "getting to know" questions, and you can toss in a cultural note like I did about how Koreans ask personal questions whereas in the west (ie: Canada, where I'm from, we say and ask more trivial things "small talk" to people whom we're just meeting). You can also add more words for them to spell, and toss in some Konglish as well. As I say, much depends on their level. This is a little like a level assessment though, in some way.

Thanks for uploading that powerpoint. I am sure I will use a lot of it it in the future sometime.

Offline Newhorizons

• Waygookin
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 01:07:19 AM »
The first day I made a powerpoint about myself.  I showed a lot of pictures I had taken from back home, talked about where I am from, differences between there and Korea, my family, boyfriend, my dog, my hobbies, etc.  After that was done I just talked to them for the rest of the hour.  Asked them similar questions about where they were from, families, hobbies, etc.  I even asked them if they had traveled to different countries, what kind of food they liked, and restaurant recommendations.  I was super nervouse at first, but think about it...they are the ones most willing to learn because they enroll themselves in the classes.  Just talk to them!  They will talk about anything!!  If you need other topics, this website is awesome
http://tigertesl.blogspot.kr/
I plan on using it for conversation topics for other lessons, while tweeking some of the questions a bit of course.

Offline freethinker

• Explorer
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 06:13:26 PM »
Hi used the following icebreakers in my fist teacher's conversation class.

1. Pair everyone up and give them a word/picture questionnaire to fill out based on their partners details.
    Everyone then has the opportunity to introduce their partner to the rest using some of the answers.

2. Everybody loves BINGO! I let them draw up a 4x4 bingo card with numbers placed at random from 1-16.
    Next ask them general yes/no questions. For every "yes" they can cross out the corresponding number

Offline meme

• Explorer
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2012, 09:11:37 AM »
The ABC word game, introducing themselves and describing their neighbor worked well in my first teachers class. They gave me an accurate reading of the English level of the group.

Offline siriuslylost

• Waygookin
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2012, 11:29:29 PM »
I have used a "Getting to know You" type bingo game with a bunch of common activities on it, and people have to ask "Do you play ~?", "Do you like ~?" etc and if a person answers yes, they have to sign their name on the card so everyone gets to learn names and a little something about everyone else.

Offline knmb323

• Explorer
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2012, 04:52:41 PM »
One icebreaker that I love to use is best suited to tight-knit groups (or groups where many people already know each other).  You ask learners to state their name, favorite color (or any other random thing), and one true fact about themselves that no one else in the room knows.  The tighter the group is, the more intensely they will have to dig to come up with something that no one else already knows about them.

Recent Lesson Plans

Picture/Writing Game! by toddsqui
[Today at 03:17:19 PM]

Pre-Interview task help by moh12
[Today at 06:06:40 AM]

Social Media in the Korean Classroom by toddsqui
[Today at 03:46:54 AM]

mentos and coke help by kimjones
[Today at 02:31:07 AM]

Camp Cooking - Recipes and Teaching Materials by samhuxley89
[Today at 01:27:00 AM]

Buy/Sell/Trade