September 21, 2014, 06:58:00 AM

Author Topic: PS3 players in Korea  (Read 47174 times)

Offline Makku

• Explorer
Re: PS3 players in Korea
« Reply #300 on: May 31, 2011, 05:30:58 PM »
From the PSN blog earlier...

Tokyo, May 31, 2011 – Sony Corporation and Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) announced today that Sony Network Entertainment International (SNEI, the company) will fully restore all PlayStation®Network services in the Americas, Europe/PAL territories and Asia, excluding Japan, Hong Kong, and South Korea by the end of this week. The company will also resume Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity™ for PlayStation®3 (PS3®), PSP® (PlayStation®Portable), VAIO and other PCs. Details for Japan, Hong Kong, and South Korea as well as the remaining services on Qriocity will be announced as they become available...

I wish I could say I'm shocked but most of us expected this... >:(

That is pretty frustrating. It would be great if having a longer outage meant more compensation, but I doubt it.

Offline bern

• Veteran
« Reply #301 on: May 31, 2011, 05:37:22 PM »
Re; PSN

I feel like I've been really patient. I haven't been getting outraged, it's not that bigger deal in the grand scheme of things, and I've given Sony the benefit of the doubt up until now despite very little information from them.

I just feel really disappointed at this stage, I still love my PS3 and there's no way I'd switch to another console but this is rubbish.

Games for Young Learners : www.smalltalkesl.com

Offline ovid

• Veteran
« Reply #302 on: May 31, 2011, 05:55:46 PM »
i gave up on my old ps3 and was thinking of getting a new one... should i reconsider?

Offline koreanlostinkorea

• Adventurer
« Reply #303 on: May 31, 2011, 06:07:10 PM »
i gave up on my old ps3 and was thinking of getting a new one... should i reconsider?

only if online multiplayer is super important to you..

otherwise, if you like the sony exclusives and don't mind having online play be potentially fritzy for a little while then i'd say get another PS3. plus Infamous 2 comes out in a week!

Savre

« Reply #304 on: May 31, 2011, 06:21:45 PM »

Offline michelleh

• Adventurer
« Reply #305 on: May 31, 2011, 06:25:12 PM »
I will only be annoyed if we miss out on any free downloadable content because of the delay in resuming service to our region. Worst case scenario, given that most of us seem to be using European and American accounts.

Also, how are you enjoying Dead Space 2, Damien? :)

Savre

« Reply #306 on: May 31, 2011, 09:13:45 PM »
So with the impending restoration of PSN world wide I've been hunting around for any sign that South Korea might be coming back on soon.

Haven't found any real evidence to suggest when we will be back online but I did find a tweet that said we might be back up on soon: http://www.gamingtarget.com/article.php?artid=12400

But there are a lot of obscure sites out there saying ASIA is up but with no real idea about South Korea.

Despite this fact is anyone feeling like its gonna be up soon? I mean in your bones...like it really is coming.. xD

Offline Endoas

• Adventurer
« Reply #307 on: May 31, 2011, 11:15:16 PM »
So with the impending restoration of PSN world wide I've been hunting around for any sign that South Korea might be coming back on soon.

Haven't found any real evidence to suggest when we will be back online but I did find a tweet that said we might be back up on soon: http://www.gamingtarget.com/article.php?artid=12400

But there are a lot of obscure sites out there saying ASIA is up but with no real idea about South Korea.

Despite this fact is anyone feeling like its gonna be up soon? I mean in your bones...like it really is coming.. xD

Probably not anytime soon.  My hunch is that Japan and Hong Kong get restored soon but South Korea is left waiting a long long time.

Reason #1 - Fairly recent Nonghyup tragedy in which people couldn't make any transactions for a week due to data breach.
Reason #2 - I read somewhere that before restoring service, the governments must give the okay.  Remember how long it took the Ipad and Iphone to reach South Korea?  They were the last country to join the party.  This includes even the refreshes.

Of course it could be unrelated and I'm just being too pessimistic  :P

Offline Damien

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • Define desinty
« Reply #308 on: May 31, 2011, 11:19:16 PM »
I play dead space 2 in the dark with the lights off and scream randomly. Im pretty sure my neighbors think im being raped every night at ten. I like it. It isnt the best game ever, but is fun as heck, Thanks. Have you touched dragon age 2 yet?
“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.” -Goethe

• Adventurer
« Reply #309 on: May 31, 2011, 11:44:20 PM »

Probably not anytime soon.  My hunch is that Japan and Hong Kong get restored soon but South Korea is left waiting a long long time.

Reason #1 - Fairly recent Nonghyup tragedy in which people couldn't make any transactions for a week due to data breach.
Reason #2 - I read somewhere that before restoring service, the governments must give the okay.  Remember how long it took the Ipad and Iphone to reach South Korea?  They were the last country to join the party.  This includes even the refreshes.

did you know that there's a reason behind the slow adaption of things like the iphone/ipad and gaming consoles here in korea?

it's because the government here tries very hard to promote a sense of pride in local corporations, so things like samsung and lg are given a lot of leeway and ad time in order to increase domestic purchases. while foreign products like iphones and gaming consoles have to be pushed really hard to even break ground here. hence the reason why PC gaming took off and console gaming is kinda meh.

the last 20 years in the korean markets have been very interesting...if you look at how slowly trends are changing.

Offline Endoas

• Adventurer
« Reply #310 on: June 01, 2011, 12:24:29 AM »

did you know that there's a reason behind the slow adaption of things like the iphone/ipad and gaming consoles here in korea?

it's because the government here tries very hard to promote a sense of pride in local corporations, so things like samsung and lg are given a lot of leeway and ad time in order to increase domestic purchases. while foreign products like iphones and gaming consoles have to be pushed really hard to even break ground here. hence the reason why PC gaming took off and console gaming is kinda meh.

the last 20 years in the korean markets have been very interesting...if you look at how slowly trends are changing.

Yep there's just not enough interest in competitive console gaming, though a few Koreans do come to mind that give hope for consoles (Infiltration, Lau9h, and Poongko). 

Offline Damien

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • Define desinty
« Reply #311 on: June 01, 2011, 01:35:41 AM »
It is crazy how small and rare video game stores/sections are in South Korea. It still shocks me.
“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.” -Goethe

Offline janicesamsun

• Adventurer
« Reply #312 on: June 01, 2011, 05:30:14 AM »

I went ahead and emailed Sony a few days back.  Response:

Your concerns have been heard in regards to the PlayStation®Network Customer Appreciation Program. I understand that at the present time you're in South Korea and are worried you won't be eligible for this. I realize the outage was frustrating and apologize for the delayed response.

**This promotion won't start until the PSN has total functionality. This maintenance is supposed to be finished by the end of May, 2011.**

If you're on a military base, you should have no problem with accessing this content. However, If this is not the case, your IP address may cause a problem with obtaining the promotional content.

Offline Danzo

• Explorer
« Reply #313 on: June 01, 2011, 09:43:00 AM »
Where are you guys buying your english language games? I see games I would like, but I prefer not to buy Korean language games. Well even if my Korean was perfect, I would buy some but not all. the original sensee of the game is kinda ruined. Korean voiceovers?
Do i need to spend $$$ tons on Amazon to get the games I want?

• Adventurer
« Reply #314 on: June 01, 2011, 02:10:10 PM »
Where are you guys buying your english language games? I see games I would like, but I prefer not to buy Korean language games. Well even if my Korean was perfect, I would buy some but not all. the original sensee of the game is kinda ruined. Korean voiceovers?
Do i need to spend $$$ tons on Amazon to get the games I want?

actually...most games sold here are in english. all you need to do to check is look on the back of the box there is usually a little black disk icon that says 언어 (language) and next to that you'll see, i think, 말하는 (language) and then, next to that, if the audio is in english you should see 영어 (english) and if it's in korean you'll see 한국어 (korean). also next to that is either the word 부제 (subtitle) or 수동 (manual) these work just like the language but you'll usually see 한국어 next to them because most games that are sold here keep the english audio and just replace subtitles with korean or put in a cheap korean manual.

the other thing, you should be able to buy any ps3 game here regardless of language because ps3 games SHOULD be region free.

oh and one more thing, should you be hankering for a game that you can't find here / you don't live in or near seoul you can always order from play-asia.com. They ship out of hong kong so the shipping ranges from free (for an up to 21 day delivery time) to 1-4 days (for around 7.00-20.00 USD). i just bought fallout new vegas from them (had to scratch that itch while waiting for skyrim to come out) and it was 30.00 USD with 8.99 USD s/h, so not too bad. beats the hell out of amazon where you'd pay about 40.00 USD+ for s/h & customs fees.

hope this helps! ask if you have any more questions!

Offline Danzo

• Explorer
« Reply #315 on: June 01, 2011, 02:51:58 PM »
Ah thanks! So you mean that I can change the menu navigations to english? Great. My ps3 is still at home but I may come back to retrieve it between my contract.  :D

Offline ovid

• Veteran
« Reply #316 on: June 01, 2011, 03:42:02 PM »
About buying a PS3. 

I'm on the verge of buying one, but I'm really worried about region coding... on the chance I move back to the UK/US, will I still be able to use my PS3?

What about buying or getting downloadable games?  (I want my Mortal Kombat 2, Final Fantasy VII, and Megaman 8 fixing).  Do I need to register in my home country (USA) or the country I'm living in (RoK)?

Any help would be grreatly appreciated.

Offline tealeeds

• Adventurer
« Reply #317 on: June 01, 2011, 04:14:18 PM »
About buying a PS3. 

I'm on the verge of buying one, but I'm really worried about region coding... on the chance I move back to the UK/US, will I still be able to use my PS3?

What about buying or getting downloadable games?  (I want my Mortal Kombat 2, Final Fantasy VII, and Megaman 8 fixing).  Do I need to register in my home country (USA) or the country I'm living in (RoK)?

I dont know about PSN as i never use it, but with regards to region coding i know that all games are REGION FREE - so you can buy games in USA and play them on a Korean PS3 and vice versa. I order Pro Evo Soccer 2011 from USA to get eh English menus and it works fine.

However, Blu-Rays are region coded, so you will have to buy Korean Blu-Rays if you buy a Korean PS3. I dont know about DVDs but I would assume the same applies.

Offline tfung31

• Veteran
« Reply #318 on: June 01, 2011, 04:57:12 PM »
About buying a PS3. 

I dont know about PSN as i never use it, but with regards to region coding i know that all games are REGION FREE - so you can buy games in USA and play them on a Korean PS3 and vice versa. I order Pro Evo Soccer 2011 from USA to get eh English menus and it works fine.

However, Blu-Rays are region coded, so you will have to buy Korean Blu-Rays if you buy a Korean PS3. I dont know about DVDs but I would assume the same applies.

Although Blu-rays are region coded, Korea and the US share the same region code (A). i believe Europe has a different region though 

Offline ovid

• Veteran
« Reply #319 on: June 01, 2011, 05:00:08 PM »
Thanks for the responses.. what about downloading games?

It's been a while since I've owned a PS3... when I register my system.. do I get to still download old PS games ? 

Recent Lesson Plans

Easy video based lesson for teaching weather. Free worksheet download by Mrs.Baia
[Yesterday at 04:32:48 PM]

Lateral Questions by fish2
[September 19, 2014, 11:42:56 PM]

Would you rather by fish2
[September 19, 2014, 11:31:50 PM]

New 2015 Grades 5 / 6 Textbooks by Summer
[September 19, 2014, 07:37:09 PM]

Animal Rights Lesson by pibirogba
[September 19, 2014, 06:56:51 PM]

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment