September 22, 2014, 05:09:25 PM

Author Topic: PS3 players in Korea  (Read 47184 times)

Offline Damien

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • Define desinty
Re: PS3 players in Korea
« Reply #320 on: June 01, 2011, 05:03:08 PM »
About buying a PS3. 

I'm on the verge of buying one, but I'm really worried about region coding... on the chance I move back to the UK/US, will I still be able to use my PS3?

What about buying or getting downloadable games?  (I want my Mortal Kombat 2, Final Fantasy VII, and Megaman 8 fixing).  Do I need to register in my home country (USA) or the country I'm living in (RoK)?

Any help would be grreatly appreciated.

I dont know about PSN as i never use it, but with regards to region coding i know that all games are REGION FREE - so you can buy games in USA and play them on a Korean PS3 and vice versa. I order Pro Evo Soccer 2011 from USA to get eh English menus and it works fine.

However, Blu-Rays are region coded, so you will have to buy Korean Blu-Rays if you buy a Korean PS3. I dont know about DVDs but I would assume the same applies.

Although Blu-rays are region coded, Korea and the US share the same region code (A). i believe Europe has a different region though 

There are currently 3 regions for blu rays. The Americas, Korea, Japan, etc. are region 1. Europe, Africa, and the middle east are region 2. The rest is region 3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Blu-ray_regions_with_key.png
“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.” -Goethe

Offline taeyang

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • The Legend
« Reply #321 on: June 01, 2011, 05:17:51 PM »
About buying a PS3. 

I'm on the verge of buying one, but I'm really worried about region coding... on the chance I move back to the UK/US, will I still be able to use my PS3?

What about buying or getting downloadable games?  (I want my Mortal Kombat 2, Final Fantasy VII, and Megaman 8 fixing).  Do I need to register in my home country (USA) or the country I'm living in (RoK)?

I dont know about PSN as i never use it, but with regards to region coding i know that all games are REGION FREE - so you can buy games in USA and play them on a Korean PS3 and vice versa. I order Pro Evo Soccer 2011 from USA to get eh English menus and it works fine.

However, Blu-Rays are region coded, so you will have to buy Korean Blu-Rays if you buy a Korean PS3. I dont know about DVDs but I would assume the same applies.

you're ALMOST right.

while the games are region free, korea is in REGION A for blu-ray movies.

north america is also in REGION A. this means, any blurays bought in CANADA or AMERICA are the same region as they are here in KOREA.

dvds are a different story. korea is REGION 3.

north america is REGION 1.

the UK (and japan), is REGION 2.

a ps3 bought in korea WILL NOT play dvds bought in north america, the UK and japan. it will only play dvds in REGION 3.

hope this clears it up :D
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

Offline koreanlostinkorea

• Adventurer
« Reply #322 on: June 01, 2011, 05:58:33 PM »
About buying a PS3. 

ok so registering for PSN is a little tricky when it comes to international settings.

here's the skinny from what i understand.

PSN is divided by region, so north america, europe, and asia. then those regions are in some cases broken down further (this is mostly for server access in asia since it is so big) - so asia is broken down into china, korea, japan.

when it comes to registering for PSN in korea you are required to submit your personal ID# (not sure on what that is called), basically it's like a social security number, a number that is given to everyone at birth (this could be why PSN is taking so long to get back up here, if that information was exposed).

Basically what that means is that you cannot register for a korean PSN account UNLESS you know a korean / have a korean significant other that is willing to sign up for one for you.

now part 2:
when it comes to downloading games and content off of PSN, this too is based on region, which is determined by where you signed up for PSN. so if you have an american PSN account you get access to american content, european european content...asia is where it gets a little odd.

(please correct me if i'm wrong!!!)
from my understanding sony doesn't have strong footing in korea or china so if you have a korean or chinese PSN you get access to japanese content only. i do not think that korea and china have their own individual content servers BUT I COULD BE WRONG.

so the short answer to your question.

if you want to download and have access to american content on PSN then you must register an american PSN account. (should've just said that instead lol).

also,
yes you should be able to use your ps3 if you move back to the US however you will need an adaptor for the plug...or a converter box, i'm not 100% on whether you need to worry about downconverting voltage for the ps3.

the only thing that i'm not sure about when it comes to buying international games is if patches are specific to region. For example, you buy an asian copy of Fallout New Vegas (a game that was badly in need of patches at launch, and still is from my understanding), as time passes patches are released. now i'm unsure if those patches are region specific, i know they are rolled out individually by region but i'm not sure if that access is governed by where you're accessing PSN from, your PSN account region, or the game region itself. if anyone knows that would be cool to know.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 06:05:09 PM by koreanlostinkorea »

Savre

« Reply #323 on: June 01, 2011, 07:09:15 PM »
You know if you had of just read through this thread you would have found all your answers.

Patches are not region specific. In fact you don't even need to be signed in to get patches.

I think any question related to PS3s has been answered somewhere in this thread. -_-
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 07:11:44 PM by Savre »

Offline taeyang

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • The Legend
« Reply #324 on: June 01, 2011, 08:32:59 PM »
also,
yes you should be able to use your ps3 if you move back to the US however you will need an adaptor for the plug...or a converter box, i'm not 100% on whether you need to worry about downconverting voltage for the ps3.

not true! the ps3 is truly multi-region. it's just a question of getting a new power cable from your country of choice, and plugging it into the mains. no questions asked ;)

this information is available widely on the internet, and in this thread too~~
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

• Adventurer
« Reply #325 on: June 02, 2011, 12:26:36 AM »
haha, yes it is all available in the thread, but why not be nice and just help some people out by taking a few minutes and sharing your information rather then telling them to find it themselves?

either way it's not really too much of a problem =)

Offline Damien

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • Define desinty
« Reply #326 on: June 03, 2011, 11:25:09 AM »
Seems things with Sony only keep getting better and better. . .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13636704

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.” -Goethe

Offline NMonk

• Veteran
« Reply #327 on: June 03, 2011, 12:44:52 PM »

I've decided t_ ban all letters fr_m the w_rd ____ fr_m my v_cabulary
Check out http://alienteachers.com for my blog, FREE lesson plans featured by the British Council and general living in Korea resources.

Offline Endoas

• Adventurer
« Reply #328 on: June 03, 2011, 12:49:08 PM »

It's not really an achievement anymore to hack into Sony.  They should move on to something else =p

Offline paladin777

• Veteran
« Reply #329 on: June 06, 2011, 01:16:41 PM »
Has anyone been able to login to the PSN as of yet?

Offline Damien

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • Define desinty
« Reply #330 on: June 06, 2011, 07:27:18 PM »
Has anyone been able to login to the PSN as of yet?

I tried but the "We fail at not getting hacked" notice came up. Demon's Souls is a lot harder without the servers being up lol.

Offline Kimchijigae

• Explorer
« Reply #331 on: June 07, 2011, 12:30:54 PM »
I bought a couple of games here. Really disappointed with Red Dead Revolver. Fallout New Vegas was cool for a while. Demon Souls was awesome but if you can't connect to servers and get help from other players it's almost impossible.

Offline janicesamsun

• Adventurer
« Reply #332 on: June 07, 2011, 07:26:49 PM »
I bought a couple of games here. Really disappointed with Red Dead Revolver. Fallout New Vegas was cool for a while. Demon Souls was awesome but if you can't connect to servers and get help from other players it's almost impossible.

Really?  I loved Red Dead Redemption.  New Vegas was too buggy for me.

I actually heard the Demon Souls servers might go down permanently eventually.

• Adventurer
« Reply #333 on: June 12, 2011, 11:15:55 PM »
don't know how many of you know it yet but...

PSN IS UP IN ASIA BABY!!!!! LOG IN AND CHANGE YER PASSWORDS!

See ya guys online!

Offline ooyum

• Explorer
« Reply #334 on: June 13, 2011, 10:35:39 AM »
don't know how many of you know it yet but...

PSN IS UP IN ASIA BABY!!!!! LOG IN AND CHANGE YER PASSWORDS!

See ya guys online!

Offline moogle

• Adventurer
« Reply #335 on: June 13, 2011, 01:07:53 PM »
i tried the password reset page but it's down. anyone else get it to work or play online for that matter?

Offline v7tran

• Explorer
« Reply #336 on: June 13, 2011, 01:39:53 PM »
does anybody get the error message " 80023102"?? I tried to buy a game last night and I got that message! grrrr..

Offline paladin777

• Veteran
« Reply #337 on: June 13, 2011, 02:58:06 PM »
Im happily connected and playing my free games :). And COD MW2 and Black Ops :)...

Offline paladin777

• Veteran
« Reply #338 on: June 13, 2011, 03:04:15 PM »
does anybody get the error message " 80023102"?? I tried to buy a game last night and I got that message! grrrr..

I got an error message when I tried to log in last week, but haven't had any since I could log in.

Offline charliepacific27

• Adventurer
« Reply #339 on: June 13, 2011, 03:07:46 PM »
It worked for me Saturday night! Got the free copy of Infamous and Dead Nation, and then DLC for Red Dead Redemption (Undead Nightmare) and the "Rockstar DLC Pass" for LA Noire. Tried to log on to play BFBC2 online, but I'm afraid my connection was too slow. I'll try again tonight :).

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment